* bbappend - FILESEXTRAPATHS
@ 2017-10-20 13:30 Koehler, Yannick
From: Koehler, Yannick @ 2017-10-20 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

I have been using Yocto for over 2 years now, and whenever I create a new
bbappend file, I always have to remember that FILESEXTRAPATHS variable,
often typing it wrong, EXTRAFILESPATHS or FILEEXTRAPATHS or FILESEXTRAPATH,
etc.

I did a quick check on my setup and on 102 bbappend recipe found, there are
73 that uses the FILESEXTRAPATHS variable, so that is around 71% of them.

I was wondering if the team would enhance the user/dev experience here and
modify bitbake behavior as to not require this variable and be able to
"override" any FILESPATH that already exists with the bbappend location.  So
that for example the FILESPATH "files" would be looked up in the bbappend
folder location before the initial bb recipe folder location automatically
without having to manually enter a FILESEXTRAPATHS statement.

Or alternatively, a script or command to create an initial skeleton bbappend
with the initial .bb in comment

               bbappend mylayer recipename.bb

               # Create a file under mylayer/recipes-*/*.bbappend (using %
for version when not specified on cmd line) with the original .bb in comment
and a section containing FILESEXTRAPATHS

I think this would greatly help when creating those files.

--

Yannick Koehler

HPE Aruba

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: bbappend - FILESEXTRAPATHS
@ 2017-10-20 14:10 ` Joshua Watt
From: Joshua Watt @ 2017-10-20 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Koehler, Yannick, yocto

On Fri, 2017-10-20 at 13:30 +0000, Koehler, Yannick wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been using Yocto for over 2 years now, and whenever I create a
> new bbappend file, I always have to remember that FILESEXTRAPATHS
> variable, often typing it wrong, EXTRAFILESPATHS or FILEEXTRAPATHS or
> FILESEXTRAPATH, etc…
>
> I did a quick check on my setup and on 102 bbappend recipe found,
> there are 73 that uses the FILESEXTRAPATHS variable, so that is
> around 71% of them.
>
> I was wondering if the team would enhance the user/dev experience
> here and modify bitbake behavior as to not require this variable and
> be able to “override” any FILESPATH that already exists with the
> bbappend location.  So that for example the FILESPATH “files” would
> be looked up in the bbappend folder location before the initial bb
> recipe folder location automatically without having to manually enter
> a FILESEXTRAPATHS statement.
>
> Or alternatively, a script or command to create an initial skeleton
> bbappend with the initial .bb in comment
>
>                bbappend mylayer recipename.bb
>                # Create a file under mylayer/recipes-*/*.bbappend
> (using % for version when not specified on cmd line) with the
> original .bb in comment and a section containing FILESEXTRAPATHS

kergoth has some really good vim plugins for bitbake files at https://g
ithub.com/kergoth/vim-bitbake (if you like vim). I supplemented it to
pre-populate FILESEXTRAPATHS for bbpappend files, pull request pending:
https://github.com/kergoth/vim-bitbake/pull/14

@ 2017-10-20 14:39 ` Leonardo Sandoval
From: Leonardo Sandoval @ 2017-10-20 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Koehler, Yannick; +Cc: yocto

On Fri, 20 Oct 2017 13:30:06 +0000
"Koehler, Yannick" <yannick.koehler@hpe.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I have been using Yocto for over 2 years now, and whenever I create a new
> bbappend file, I always have to remember that FILESEXTRAPATHS variable,
> often typing it wrong, EXTRAFILESPATHS or FILEEXTRAPATHS or FILESEXTRAPATH,
> etc.
>

> I did a quick check on my setup and on 102 bbappend recipe found, there are
> 73 that uses the FILESEXTRAPATHS variable, so that is around 71% of them.
>

> I was wondering if the team would enhance the user/dev experience here and
> modify bitbake behavior as to not require this variable and be able to
> "override" any FILESPATH that already exists with the bbappend location.  So
> that for example the FILESPATH "files" would be looked up in the bbappend
> folder location before the initial bb recipe folder location automatically
> without having to manually enter a FILESEXTRAPATHS statement.

One easy way to avoid this error is to place the FILESEXTRAPATHS variable inside a custom bbclass them inherit it from the recipe, at least it is less prone to typos. We do not want to force users to place patches inside a particular folder (policy), instead the system offer a mechanism to place these any place you want (other recipes choose PN, for example)

> Or alternatively, a script or command to create an initial skeleton bbappend
> with the initial .bb in comment
>

>                bbappend mylayer recipename.bb
>
>                # Create a file under mylayer/recipes-*/*.bbappend (using %
> for version when not specified on cmd line) with the original .bb in comment
> and a section containing FILESEXTRAPATHS

Right, I think there is no tool to create bbappends from the command line.

Anyway, feel free to file a bug (bugzilla.yoctoproject.org) with your enhancement.

--
Leonardo Sandoval <leonardo.sandoval.gonzalez@linux.intel.com>

* Re: bbappend - FILESEXTRAPATHS
@ 2017-10-20 17:15   ` Koehler, Yannick
From: Koehler, Yannick @ 2017-10-20 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leonardo Sandoval; +Cc: yocto

"We do not want to force users to place patches inside a particular folder
(policy), instead the system offer a mechanism to place these any place you
want (other recipes choose PN, for example)"

I understand that and I agree with it, at the same time, I do not get the
requirement to put FILESEXTRAPATHS.  If it is missing, I feel that bitbake
should have a default behavior that is to use the same FILESPATHS as defined
in bb but under the bbappend location.

If people want to change that behavior, then they add FILESEXTRAPATHS.

--
Yannick Koehler

--
Leonardo Sandoval <leonardo.sandoval.gonzalez@linux.intel.com>