* [cip-dev] MDS and other speculation issues
@ 2019-05-15 11:33 Ben Hutchings
From: Ben Hutchings @ 2019-05-15 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

As with the earlier speculation vulnerabilities, I don't believe that
MDS should be a particularly severe issue for CIP-based systems.

Nevertheless, I have prepared a backport of the mitigations for MDS
(and some changes to the mitigations for other speculation issues) for
4.4.  This was included in 4.4.180-rc1, which is out for review now.  I
did not have the chance to test this thoroughly, so review and testing
are needed.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings, Software Developer                ?        Codethink Ltd
https://www.codethink.co.uk/                 Dale House, 35 Dale Street

* [cip-dev] MDS and other speculation issues
@ 2019-05-16  0:44 ` nobuhiro1.iwamatsu at toshiba.co.jp
From: nobuhiro1.iwamatsu at toshiba.co.jp @ 2019-05-16  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi Ben,

Thank you for your work and information.
I'm just looking into a test tool for this issue, but please let me know what
you already know.

There is a spectre-meltdown-checker, but we can not do a detailed test with this.
https://github.com/speed47/spectre-meltdown-checker/

> Ben.

Best regards,
  Nobuhirio

* [cip-dev] MDS and other speculation issues
@ 2019-05-16 16:29   ` Ben Hutchings
From: Ben Hutchings @ 2019-05-16 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

On Thu, 2019-05-16 at 00:44 +0000, nobuhiro1.iwamatsu at toshiba.co.jp wrote:
> Hi Ben,

There is proof-of-concept exploit code, but it's not yet public, so far
as I know.  Nor do I have a copy.

> There is a spectre-meltdown-checker, but we can not do a detailed test with this.
> https://github.com/speed47/spectre-meltdown-checker/

That uses kernel interfaces to identify the affected CPUs and any
mitigations that are enabled.  However, it does not test whether the
mitigation is actually effective, so it won't detect incomplete or
incorrect backports.

Ben.