* cip-kernel-config usage
@ 2023-03-20 20:14 Chris Paterson
From: Chris Paterson @ 2023-03-20 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hello kernel team, all,

The cip-kernel-config[0] repo holds the various kernel configurations which CIP uses to maintain the Linux kernel.

In addition to .config/defconfig files, we also have various .sources files, which get generated by the Makefile included in the repository.
My original understanding (backed up by the README[1]) is that these .sources files contain a list of all the kernel source files used by a particular config(branch/arch/config-name.sources), or for all configs (branch/all.sources).
These files would then be used to help direct the efforts of the kernel team when maintaining the kernel.
Is this still the case? Or has this practice been stopped?

Also, there seems to be some kind of "warnings" configuration[2] which is used to define kernel configurations that are not recommended to be used.
However, we only have this in place for 4.4.y-cip[3].
Do we intend to ever revisit using this system for the newer kernel versions?

[0] https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-kernel/cip-kernel-config
[1] https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-kernel/cip-kernel-config/-/blob/master/README.md
[2] https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-kernel/cip-kernel-config/-/blob/master/README.md#warnings
[3] https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-kernel/cip-kernel-config/-/blob/master/4.4.y-cip/warnings.yml