* [U-Boot] mpc85xx, mpc86xx: device tree model
@ 2019-03-15  5:05 Prabhakar Kushwaha
From: Prabhakar Kushwaha @ 2019-03-15  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Tom,

I am seeing following type of build warnings for MMC.

+===================== WARNING ======================
+This board does not use CONFIG_DM_MMC. Please update
+the board to use CONFIG_DM_MMC before the v2019.04 release.
+Failure to update by the deadline may result in board removal.
+See doc/driver-model/MIGRATION.txt for more info.

Considering "number" of powerpc platform are not migrated to deice tree. They can not be migrated to CONFIG_DM_MMC withing v2019.04 time-frame (considering rc4 is on 18th march).
v2019.07 looks feasible for removing all warning which includes CONFIG_DM_USB, CONFIG_DM_SCSI, CONFIG_DM_PCI, CONFIG_DM_SPI_FLASH and CONFIG_DM_MMC.

is there any plan of removing boards which don't have CONFIG_DM_MMC for v2019.04?

--prabhakar (pk)

* [U-Boot] mpc85xx, mpc86xx: device tree model
@ 2019-03-15 16:06 ` Tom Rini
From: Tom Rini @ 2019-03-15 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 05:05:06AM +0000, Prabhakar Kushwaha wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> I am seeing following type of build warnings for MMC.
>
> +===================== WARNING ======================
> +This board does not use CONFIG_DM_MMC. Please update
> +the board to use CONFIG_DM_MMC before the v2019.04 release.
> +Failure to update by the deadline may result in board removal.
> +See doc/driver-model/MIGRATION.txt for more info.
>
> Considering "number" of powerpc platform are not migrated to deice
> tree. They can not be migrated to CONFIG_DM_MMC withing v2019.04
> time-frame (considering rc4 is on 18th march).
> v2019.07 looks feasible for removing all warning which includes
> CONFIG_DM_USB, CONFIG_DM_SCSI, CONFIG_DM_PCI, CONFIG_DM_SPI_FLASH and
> CONFIG_DM_MMC.
>
> is there any plan of removing boards which don't have CONFIG_DM_MMC
> for v2019.04?

Good question.  Where exactly are we with getting more of PowerPC
brought up to date with these requirements?  I've mentioned before and
will say it again, I'm inclined to start marking stuff as 'depends on
BROKEN' for a release and then pulling the underlying code (so in this
case, non-DM code from drivers/mmc/mmc.c and other MMC-core) for the
release following.

--
Tom
* [U-Boot] mpc85xx, mpc86xx: device tree model
@ 2019-03-17  3:01   ` Prabhakar Kushwaha
From: Prabhakar Kushwaha @ 2019-03-17  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
> On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 05:05:06AM +0000, Prabhakar Kushwaha wrote:
>
> > Hi Tom,
> >
> > I am seeing following type of build warnings for MMC.
> >
> > +===================== WARNING ====================== This board
> does
> > +not use CONFIG_DM_MMC. Please update the board to use
> CONFIG_DM_MMC
> > +before the v2019.04 release.
> > +Failure to update by the deadline may result in board removal.
> > +See doc/driver-model/MIGRATION.txt for more info.
> >
> > Considering "number" of powerpc platform are not migrated to deice
> > tree. They can not be migrated to CONFIG_DM_MMC withing v2019.04
> > time-frame (considering rc4 is on 18th march).
> > v2019.07 looks feasible for removing all warning which includes
> > CONFIG_DM_USB, CONFIG_DM_SCSI, CONFIG_DM_PCI,
> CONFIG_DM_SPI_FLASH and
> > CONFIG_DM_MMC.
> >
> > is there any plan of removing boards which don't have CONFIG_DM_MMC
> > for v2019.04?
>
> Good question.  Where exactly are we with getting more of PowerPC brought up
> to date with these requirements?

There are only 2 platforms which are on device tree model.

Rest (65 targets) still need to be ported. Here 13 are non-NXP and 52 NXP.
I am working internally to get staffed for porting of NXP platform.
For non-NXP , I will reaching platform owners for migration.

It will take some time.

> I've mentioned before and will say it again,
> I'm inclined to start marking stuff as 'depends on BROKEN' for a release and then
> pulling the underlying code (so in this case, non-DM code from
> drivers/mmc/mmc.c and other MMC-core) for the release following.

Is enabling 'depends on BROKEN', still allow platform to build and use?

--pk

* [U-Boot] mpc85xx, mpc86xx: device tree model
@ 2019-03-17  3:16     ` Tom Rini
From: Tom Rini @ 2019-03-17  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 03:01:32AM +0000, Prabhakar Kushwaha wrote:

> [...]

OK.

> > I've mentioned before and will say it again,
> > I'm inclined to start marking stuff as 'depends on BROKEN' for a release and then
> > pulling the underlying code (so in this case, non-DM code from
> > drivers/mmc/mmc.c and other MMC-core) for the release following.
>
> Is enabling 'depends on BROKEN', still allow platform to build and use?

Yes, but it'll only buy a little bit of time.  Thanks!

--
Tom
* [U-Boot] mpc85xx, mpc86xx: device tree model
@ 2019-03-18  8:59       ` Heiko Schocher
From: Heiko Schocher @ 2019-03-18  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hello Tom, rabhakar,

Am 17.03.2019 um 04:16 schrieb Tom Rini:
> On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 03:01:32AM +0000, Prabhakar Kushwaha wrote:

I may get time to dig into mpc85xx based socrates board.

Anyone tried if this board works anymore?

@York: Do you work on such an adaption? May we can share efforts?

bye,
Heikp
Phone: +49-8142-66989-52   Fax: +49-8142-66989-80   Email: hs at denx.de

* [U-Boot] mpc85xx, mpc86xx: device tree model
@ 2019-03-18 14:56         ` York Sun
From: York Sun @ 2019-03-18 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

> @York: Do you work on such an adaption? May we can share efforts?
Heiko,

I am off software team for the time being.

York