* obmcutil: sh vs. python version
@ 2019-01-09 17:58 David Thompson
From: David Thompson @ 2019-01-09 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OpenBMC Maillist

Does the shell version of 'obmcutil' support the same features/options
that are supported by the python version of 'obmcutil'?  Also, based on
references in 'openbmc-test-automation' the intended destination of
'obmcutil' is '/usr/sbin'.  But, I don't see 'obmcutil' in the target rootfs
(built for AST2500 EVB on Dec 22 2018) nor do I see any logic within
OpenBMC that actually installs it.

Can someone comment on 'obmcutil' install and usage?

David Thompson
Sr. Staff Engineer, System SW
Mellanox Technologies
1900 West Park Drive, Suite 290
Westborough MA USA 01581
Direct: +1 508-475-6375

* Re: obmcutil: sh vs. python version
@ 2019-01-10  3:19 ` Andrew Geissler
From: Andrew Geissler @ 2019-01-10  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dthompson; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 11:58 AM David Thompson <dthompson@mellanox.com> wrote:

> Does the shell version of ‘obmcutil’ support the same features/options
> that are supported by the python version of ‘obmcutil’?

Almost, all of them except the chassiskill option. That is still under review
in https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/#/c/openbmc/phosphor-power-control/+/16695/.

> Also, based on
> references in ‘openbmc-test-automation’ the intended destination of
> ‘obmcutil’ is ‘/usr/sbin’.  But, I don’t see ‘obmcutil’ in the target rootfs
> (built for AST2500 EVB on Dec 22 2018) nor do I see any logic within
> OpenBMC that actually installs it.

We still get the python version installed in our openpower systems.
I think meta-phosphor/recipes-phosphor/devtools/obmc-pydevtools_git.bb
is the recipe that brings in the python based one from the skeleton repo.

> Can someone comment on ‘obmcutil’ install and usage?

The plan for our openpower systems is to switch over to the shell
based version so we can remove python from our rootfs. We're
just waiting on the chassiskill support so it will be feature
equivalent with the python version.