* Re: [Outreachy - To Deeva]
@ 2022-10-21 16:43 ` Deepak R Varma
From: Deepak R Varma @ 2022-10-21 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alison Schofield
  Cc: dvarma04, Outreachy Linux Kernel, Saurabh Singh Sengar, Praveen Kumar

On Fri, Oct 21, 2022 at 02:46:13PM -0700, Alison Schofield wrote:
> Hi Deeva,
>
> I saw your Outreachy Dashboard update that noted your past contributions:
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/gregkh/staging.git/log/?h=staging-testing&qt=grep&q=Deepak+R+Varma
>
> You have plenty of cleanup patches in total and it would be great if you
> could move on to try out some small tasks for the Coccinelle project.

Hello Alison,
First, sorry for the delay in responding. I was travelling most part of the day
today and just checking my emails now.

Thank you for looking at my first-patch contribution record. Your message is
encouraging. I will starting working on the Coccinelle project tasks outlined
in the project description.

> There are notes on how to get started in the project description, including
> how to contact the mentors.
>
> Please try to keep your applicant/mentor communications CC'd to this
> list.

Sounds good. Will follow your guidance.

Thanks again!
./drv

> Thanks,
> Alison

* [Outreachy - To Deeva]
@ 2022-10-21 21:46 Alison Schofield
From: Alison Schofield @ 2022-10-21 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dvarma04; +Cc: Outreachy Linux Kernel, Saurabh Singh Sengar, Praveen Kumar

@ 2022-10-22  5:33   ` Deepak R Varma
From: Deepak R Varma @ 2022-10-22  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alison Schofield
  Cc: dvarma04, Outreachy Linux Kernel, Saurabh Singh Sengar, Praveen Kumar

On Fri, Oct 21, 2022 at 10:13:48PM +0530, Deepak R Varma wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 21, 2022 at 02:46:13PM -0700, Alison Schofield wrote:
> > Hi Deeva,
> >
> > I saw your Outreachy Dashboard update that noted your past contributions:
> > https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/gregkh/staging.git/log/?h=staging-testing&qt=grep&q=Deepak+R+Varma
> >
> > You have plenty of cleanup patches in total and it would be great if you
> > could move on to try out some small tasks for the Coccinelle project.
>
> Hello Alison,
> First, sorry for the delay in responding. I was travelling most part of the day
> today and just checking my emails now.
>
> Thank you for looking at my first-patch contribution record. Your message is
> encouraging. I will starting working on the Coccinelle project tasks outlined
> in the project description.

Hello,
I am reading through the Coccinelle.org link mentioned on the project
description page and following through. Is that the right approach to accomplish
the project tasks? Any additional guidance will be helpful.

Thank you,
./drv

> > There are notes on how to get started in the project description, including
> > how to contact the mentors.
> >
> > Please try to keep your applicant/mentor communications CC'd to this
> > list.
>
> Sounds good. Will follow your guidance.
>
> Thanks again!
> ./drv
>

> > Thanks,
> > Alison

* Re: [Outreachy - To Deeva]
@ 2022-10-24 18:56     ` Saurabh Singh Sengar
From: Saurabh Singh Sengar @ 2022-10-24 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deepak R Varma
  Cc: Alison Schofield, dvarma04, Outreachy Linux Kernel, Praveen Kumar

On Sat, Oct 22, 2022 at 11:03:53AM +0530, Deepak R Varma wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 21, 2022 at 10:13:48PM +0530, Deepak R Varma wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 21, 2022 at 02:46:13PM -0700, Alison Schofield wrote:
> > > Hi Deeva,
> > >
> > > I saw your Outreachy Dashboard update that noted your past contributions:
> > > https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/gregkh/staging.git/log/?h=staging-testing&qt=grep&q=Deepak+R+Varma
> > >
> > > You have plenty of cleanup patches in total and it would be great if you
> > > could move on to try out some small tasks for the Coccinelle project.
> >
> > Hello Alison,
> > First, sorry for the delay in responding. I was travelling most part of the day
> > today and just checking my emails now.
> >
> > Thank you for looking at my first-patch contribution record. Your message is
> > encouraging. I will starting working on the Coccinelle project tasks outlined
> > in the project description.
>
> Hello,
> I am reading through the Coccinelle.org link mentioned on the project
> description page and following through. Is that the right approach to accomplish
> the project tasks? Any additional guidance will be helpful.

Hi Deepak,

Yes you are on right track, look for how to use coccinelle/coccicheck and try to
find some issues in staging directory. Please feel free to reach out to me and
Praveen if you face any difficulty in accomplishing it.

Regards,
Saurabh

> Thank you,
> ./drv
>

> > > There are notes on how to get started in the project description, including
> > > how to contact the mentors.
> > >
> > > Please try to keep your applicant/mentor communications CC'd to this
> > > list.
> >
> > Sounds good. Will follow your guidance.
> >
> > Thanks again!
> > ./drv
> >

> > > Thanks,
> > > Alison

* Re: [Outreachy - To Deeva]
@ 2022-10-24 22:25       ` Deepak R Varma
From: Deepak R Varma @ 2022-10-24 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Saurabh Singh Sengar
  Cc: Alison Schofield, dvarma04, Outreachy Linux Kernel, Praveen Kumar

On Mon, Oct 24, 2022 at 11:56:51AM -0700, Saurabh Singh Sengar wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 22, 2022 at 11:03:53AM +0530, Deepak R Varma wrote:

> > > Hello Alison,
> > > First, sorry for the delay in responding. I was travelling most part of the day
> > > today and just checking my emails now.
> > >
> > > Thank you for looking at my first-patch contribution record. Your message is
> > > encouraging. I will starting working on the Coccinelle project tasks outlined
> > > in the project description.
> >
> > Hello,
> > I am reading through the Coccinelle.org link mentioned on the project
> > description page and following through. Is that the right approach to accomplish
> > the project tasks? Any additional guidance will be helpful.
>
> Hi Deepak,
>
> Yes you are on right track, look for how to use coccinelle/coccicheck and try to
> find some issues in staging directory. Please feel free to reach out to me and
> Praveen if you face any difficulty in accomplishing it.

Hello,
I need help with installing and using Coccinelle / coccicheck. The following URL for
source code is not working.

https://coccinelle.gitlabpages.inria.fr/website/distrib/coccinelle-1.1.1.tar.gz

Also the packages for Debian are marked as Error.

Can you please share links to documentation about how to install/configure and use
Coccinelle?

Thank you,
./drv

> Regards,
> Saurabh
>

> > Thank you,
> > ./drv

> > > Sounds good. Will follow your guidance.
> > >
> > > Thanks again!
> > > ./drv

* Re: [Outreachy - To Deeva]
@ 2022-10-24 22:35           ` Deepak R Varma
From: Deepak R Varma @ 2022-10-24 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julia Lawall
  Cc: Saurabh Singh Sengar, Alison Schofield, dvarma04,
	Outreachy Linux Kernel, Praveen Kumar

On Tue, Oct 25, 2022 at 05:08:36PM +0200, Julia Lawall wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Oct 2022, Deepak R Varma wrote:

> > > Hi Deepak,
> > >
> > > Yes you are on right track, look for how to use coccinelle/coccicheck and try to
> > > find some issues in staging directory. Please feel free to reach out to me and
> > > Praveen if you face any difficulty in accomplishing it.
> >
> > Hello,
> > I need help with installing and using Coccinelle / coccicheck. The following URL for
> > source code is not working.
> >
> > https://coccinelle.gitlabpages.inria.fr/website/distrib/coccinelle-1.1.1.tar.gz
> >
> > Also the packages for Debian are marked as Error.
> >
> > Can you please share links to documentation about how to install/configure and use
> > Coccinelle?
>
> You can get the Coccinelle sources from github.

I got it. Thank you Julia. Not sure why this link never popped up before.

One quick note: following link also did not work for me. It might need an
update???
https://coccinelle.gitlabpages.inria.fr/website/distrib/coccicheck-0.2.4.tgz

./drv

> julia
>

> > Thank you,
> > ./drv
> >

> > > Regards,
> > > Saurabh

* Re: [Outreachy - To Deeva]
@ 2022-10-24 23:06               ` Deepak R Varma
From: Deepak R Varma @ 2022-10-24 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julia Lawall
  Cc: Saurabh Singh Sengar, Alison Schofield, dvarma04,

On Tue, Oct 25, 2022 at 05:19:53PM +0200, Julia Lawall wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Oct 2022, Deepak R Varma wrote:

> > > You can get the Coccinelle sources from github.
> >
> > I got it. Thank you Julia. Not sure why this link never popped up before.
> >
> > One quick note: following link also did not work for me. It might need an
> > update???
> > https://coccinelle.gitlabpages.inria.fr/website/distrib/coccicheck-0.2.4.tgz
>
> Sorry, maybe it needs an update, but it''s also not relevant to you if you
> want to use Coccinelle on kernel code.  Coccicheck is a standalone tool
> for running Coccinelle on other software.  In the kernel, coccicheck is
> integrated with the kernel makefile.  You can read about it in the kernel
> documentation.

Okay. I will read the Kernel Docs as well. Thank you,
./drv

> julia
>

> > ./drv
> >

> > > julia

* Re: [Outreachy - To Deeva]
@ 2022-10-25  0:12               ` Deepak R Varma
From: Deepak R Varma @ 2022-10-25  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julia Lawall
  Cc: Saurabh Singh Sengar, Alison Schofield, dvarma04,
	Outreachy Linux Kernel, Praveen Kumar

On Tue, Oct 25, 2022 at 05:19:53PM +0200, Julia Lawall wrote:

> > > You can get the Coccinelle sources from github.
> >
> > I got it. Thank you Julia. Not sure why this link never popped up before.
> >
> > One quick note: following link also did not work for me. It might need an
> > update???
> > https://coccinelle.gitlabpages.inria.fr/website/distrib/coccicheck-0.2.4.tgz
>
> Sorry, maybe it needs an update, but it''s also not relevant to you if you
> want to use Coccinelle on kernel code.  Coccicheck is a standalone tool
> for running Coccinelle on other software.  In the kernel, coccicheck is
> integrated with the kernel makefile.  You can read about it in the kernel
> documentation.

Just to confirm, I still need to download and build Coccinelle in my Kernel git
repo, correct? Because, if I directly attempt to build the coccicheck target I
get the following error:

spatch is part of the Coccinelle project and is available at http://coccinelle.lip6.fr/
make: *** [Makefile:2076: coccicheck] Error 1

Can you please confirm if I am understanding it right?

> julia
>

> > ./drv
> >

> > > julia

* Re: [Outreachy - To Deeva]
@ 2022-10-25 15:08         ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2022-10-25 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deepak R Varma
  Cc: Saurabh Singh Sengar, Alison Schofield, dvarma04,
	Outreachy Linux Kernel, Praveen Kumar

On Tue, 25 Oct 2022, Deepak R Varma wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 24, 2022 at 11:56:51AM -0700, Saurabh Singh Sengar wrote:

> > > Hello,
> > > I am reading through the Coccinelle.org link mentioned on the project
> > > description page and following through. Is that the right approach to accomplish
> > > the project tasks? Any additional guidance will be helpful.
> >
> > Hi Deepak,
> >
> > Yes you are on right track, look for how to use coccinelle/coccicheck and try to
> > find some issues in staging directory. Please feel free to reach out to me and
> > Praveen if you face any difficulty in accomplishing it.
>
> Hello,
> I need help with installing and using Coccinelle / coccicheck. The following URL for
> source code is not working.
>
> https://coccinelle.gitlabpages.inria.fr/website/distrib/coccinelle-1.1.1.tar.gz
>
> Also the packages for Debian are marked as Error.
>
> Can you please share links to documentation about how to install/configure and use
> Coccinelle?

You can get the Coccinelle sources from github.

julia

> Thank you,
> ./drv
>

> > Regards,
> > Saurabh
> >

> > > Thank you,
> > > ./drv

* Re: [Outreachy - To Deeva]
@ 2022-10-25 15:18             ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2022-10-25 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deepak R Varma
  Cc: Saurabh Singh Sengar, Alison Schofield, dvarma04,
	Outreachy Linux Kernel, Praveen Kumar

On Tue, 25 Oct 2022, Deepak R Varma wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 25, 2022 at 05:08:36PM +0200, Julia Lawall wrote:

> > > Hello,
> > > I need help with installing and using Coccinelle / coccicheck. The following URL for
> > > source code is not working.
> > >
> > > https://coccinelle.gitlabpages.inria.fr/website/distrib/coccinelle-1.1.1.tar.gz
> > >
> > > Also the packages for Debian are marked as Error.
> > >
> > > Can you please share links to documentation about how to install/configure and use
> > > Coccinelle?
> >
> > You can get the Coccinelle sources from github.
>
> I got it. Thank you Julia. Not sure why this link never popped up before.
>
> One quick note: following link also did not work for me. It might need an
> update???
> https://coccinelle.gitlabpages.inria.fr/website/distrib/coccicheck-0.2.4.tgz

Yes, surely, thanks.

julia

> ./drv
>

> > julia
> >

> > > Thank you,
> > > ./drv

* Re: [Outreachy - To Deeva]
@ 2022-10-25 15:19             ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2022-10-25 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deepak R Varma
  Cc: Saurabh Singh Sengar, Alison Schofield, dvarma04,
	Outreachy Linux Kernel, Praveen Kumar

On Tue, 25 Oct 2022, Deepak R Varma wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 25, 2022 at 05:08:36PM +0200, Julia Lawall wrote:

> > > Hello,
> > > I need help with installing and using Coccinelle / coccicheck. The following URL for
> > > source code is not working.
> > >
> > > https://coccinelle.gitlabpages.inria.fr/website/distrib/coccinelle-1.1.1.tar.gz
> > >
> > > Also the packages for Debian are marked as Error.
> > >
> > > Can you please share links to documentation about how to install/configure and use
> > > Coccinelle?
> >
> > You can get the Coccinelle sources from github.
>
> I got it. Thank you Julia. Not sure why this link never popped up before.
>
> One quick note: following link also did not work for me. It might need an
> update???
> https://coccinelle.gitlabpages.inria.fr/website/distrib/coccicheck-0.2.4.tgz

Sorry, maybe it needs an update, but it''s also not relevant to you if you
want to use Coccinelle on kernel code.  Coccicheck is a standalone tool
for running Coccinelle on other software.  In the kernel, coccicheck is
integrated with the kernel makefile.  You can read about it in the kernel
documentation.

julia

> ./drv
>

> > julia
> >

> > > Thank you,
> > > ./drv

* Re: [Outreachy - To Deeva]
@ 2022-10-25 16:58                 ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2022-10-25 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deepak R Varma
  Cc: Saurabh Singh Sengar, Alison Schofield, dvarma04,
	Outreachy Linux Kernel, Praveen Kumar

> > > I got it. Thank you Julia. Not sure why this link never popped up before.
> > >
> > > One quick note: following link also did not work for me. It might need an
> > > update???
> > > https://coccinelle.gitlabpages.inria.fr/website/distrib/coccicheck-0.2.4.tgz
> >
> > Sorry, maybe it needs an update, but it''s also not relevant to you if you
> > want to use Coccinelle on kernel code.  Coccicheck is a standalone tool
> > for running Coccinelle on other software.  In the kernel, coccicheck is
> > integrated with the kernel makefile.  You can read about it in the kernel
> > documentation.
>
> Just to confirm, I still need to download and build Coccinelle in my Kernel git
> repo, correct? Because, if I directly attempt to build the coccicheck target I
> get the following error:
>
> spatch is part of the Coccinelle project and is available at http://coccinelle.lip6.fr/
> make: *** [Makefile:2076: coccicheck] Error 1
>
> Can you please confirm if I am understanding it right?

Yes, you wll need to build it yourself.

On the upside, you will get the latest version.

julia

> > julia
> >

> > > ./drv

* Re: [Outreachy - To Deeva]
@ 2022-10-26 17:46       ` Emily Peri
From: Emily Peri @ 2022-10-26 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Saurabh Singh Sengar
  Cc: Deepak R Varma, Alison Schofield, dvarma04,
	Outreachy Linux Kernel, Praveen Kumar

On Mon, Oct 24, 2022 at 11:56:51AM -0700, Saurabh Singh Sengar wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 22, 2022 at 11:03:53AM +0530, Deepak R Varma wrote:

> > > Hello Alison,
> > > First, sorry for the delay in responding. I was travelling most part of the day
> > > today and just checking my emails now.
> > >
> > > Thank you for looking at my first-patch contribution record. Your message is
> > > encouraging. I will starting working on the Coccinelle project tasks outlined
> > > in the project description.
> >
> > Hello,
> > I am reading through the Coccinelle.org link mentioned on the project
> > description page and following through. Is that the right approach to accomplish
> > the project tasks? Any additional guidance will be helpful.
>
> Hi Deepak,
>
> Yes you are on right track, look for how to use coccinelle/coccicheck and try to
> find some issues in staging directory. Please feel free to reach out to me and
> Praveen if you face any difficulty in accomplishing it.
>
> Regards,
> Saurabh

Hi Saurabh,

I'm also trying to follow along with this email thread, but I'm a little
stuck. I compiled coccinelle, but I'm not sure what to do next. When you
say 'try to find issues in the staging directory', do you mean the
staging directory of the linux kernel? I don't see a staging directory
in the source for coccinelle. Thanks!

Best,
Emily

> > Thank you,
> > ./drv

> > > Sounds good. Will follow your guidance.
> > >
> > > Thanks again!
> > > ./drv

* Re: [Outreachy - To Deeva]
@ 2022-10-26 17:53         ` Saurabh Singh Sengar
From: Saurabh Singh Sengar @ 2022-10-26 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emily Peri
  Cc: Deepak R Varma, Alison Schofield, dvarma04,

On Wed, Oct 26, 2022 at 10:46:17AM -0700, Emily Peri wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2022 at 11:56:51AM -0700, Saurabh Singh Sengar wrote:

> > > Hello,
> > > I am reading through the Coccinelle.org link mentioned on the project
> > > description page and following through. Is that the right approach to accomplish
> > > the project tasks? Any additional guidance will be helpful.
> >
> > Hi Deepak,
> >
> > Yes you are on right track, look for how to use coccinelle/coccicheck and try to
> > find some issues in staging directory. Please feel free to reach out to me and
> > Praveen if you face any difficulty in accomplishing it.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Saurabh
>
> Hi Saurabh,
>
> I'm also trying to follow along with this email thread, but I'm a little
> stuck. I compiled coccinelle, but I'm not sure what to do next. When you
> say 'try to find issues in the staging directory', do you mean the
> staging directory of the linux kernel? I don't see a staging directory
> in the source for coccinelle. Thanks!
>
> Best,
> Emily

Hi Emily,

Yes look at drivers/staging folder in linux kernel. If you have completed the
first 10 patches as part of 'contribution period' you should have worked on this
folder already. The task here is to find run coccinelle over staging and find the
issues, which will be followed by upstreaming the fixes for it.

Regards,
Saurabh

> > > Thank you,
> > > ./drv

* Re: [Outreachy - To Deeva]
@ 2022-10-26 19:00           ` Emily Peri
From: Emily Peri @ 2022-10-26 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Saurabh Singh Sengar
  Cc: Deepak R Varma, Alison Schofield, dvarma04,

On Wed, Oct 26, 2022 at 10:53:07AM -0700, Saurabh Singh Sengar wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 26, 2022 at 10:46:17AM -0700, Emily Peri wrote:

> > > Hi Deepak,
> > >
> > > Yes you are on right track, look for how to use coccinelle/coccicheck and try to
> > > find some issues in staging directory. Please feel free to reach out to me and
> > > Praveen if you face any difficulty in accomplishing it.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Saurabh
> >
> > Hi Saurabh,
> >
> > I'm also trying to follow along with this email thread, but I'm a little
> > stuck. I compiled coccinelle, but I'm not sure what to do next. When you
> > say 'try to find issues in the staging directory', do you mean the
> > staging directory of the linux kernel? I don't see a staging directory
> > in the source for coccinelle. Thanks!
> >
> > Best,
> > Emily
>
> Hi Emily,
>
> Yes look at drivers/staging folder in linux kernel. If you have completed the
> first 10 patches as part of 'contribution period' you should have worked on this
> folder already. The task here is to find run coccinelle over staging and find the
> issues, which will be followed by upstreaming the fixes for it.
>
> Regards,
> Saurabh

Okay I think I understand better, but to clarify, is this how we run coccinelle?

	spatch -sp_file <somefile>.cocci -dir drivers/staging

Are we to create our own semantic patch file? If so, do you mean for us to
write a semantic patch that actually fixes existing errors in the driver
or just test out different patterns? When we find an issue, do we try
to fix it and create a patch or report it in github issues?