* building aplay / arecord
@ 2022-11-01  1:04 David Jaffe
From: David Jaffe @ 2022-11-01  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Newbie question...

I downloaded the alsa-utils source and it says to run ./configure.  But no
such file exists.  And if I go to aplay and type “make aplay” it can’t find
a file called “aconfig.h”, which is presumably written by
./configure.  What am I missing?

* Re: building aplay / arecord
@ 2022-11-02 14:29 ` Geraldo Nascimento
From: Geraldo Nascimento @ 2022-11-02 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Jaffe; +Cc: alsa-devel

On Mon, Oct 31, 2022 at 06:04:26PM -0700, David Jaffe wrote:
> Newbie question...
>
> I downloaded the alsa-utils source and it says to run ./configure.  But no
> such file exists.  And if I go to aplay and type “make aplay” it can’t find
> a file called “aconfig.h”, which is presumably written by
> ./configure.  What am I missing?

Hi David,

use the gitcompile script. Otherwise read the INSTALL file for manual
instructions.

Thanks,
Geraldo Nascimento

* Re: building aplay / arecord
@ 2022-11-02 15:15 ` ael
From: ael @ 2022-11-02 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

On Mon, Oct 31, 2022 at 06:04:26PM -0700, David Jaffe wrote:
> Newbie question...
>
> I downloaded the alsa-utils source and it says to run ./configure.  But no
> such file exists.  And if I go to aplay and type “make aplay” it can’t find
> a file called “aconfig.h”, which is presumably written by
> ./configure.  What am I missing?

I think that you need to run autoconf on the configure.ac file which
you should have: it is there in the git directory.

Perhaps read
 man autoconf ?

The INSTALL file does indeed say run ./configure without explaining that
you need autoconf if ./configure is not present.

ael

* Re: building aplay / arecord
@ 2022-11-02 21:52   ` aitor
From: aitor @ 2022-11-02 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi David,

On 2/11/22 16:15, ael wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 31, 2022 at 06:04:26PM -0700, David Jaffe wrote:
>> Newbie question...
>>
>> I downloaded the alsa-utils source and it says to run ./configure.  But no
>> such file exists.  And if I go to aplay and type “make aplay” it can’t find
>> a file called “aconfig.h”, which is presumably written by
>> ./configure.  What am I missing?
> I think that you need to run autoconf on the configure.ac file which
> you should have: it is there in the git directory.
>
> Perhaps read
>   man autoconf ?
>
> The INSTALL file does indeed say run ./configure without explaining that
> you need autoconf if ./configure is not present.

Projects making use of the autotools often provide a script named `autogen.sh`
to do the job concerning to autoconf. Try with this:

$ autoreconf -f -i -s

This will generate the configure script.

On the other hand, as suggested by ael, the manpages will give you the meaning
of the arguments passed to the command:

$ man autoreconf

Hope this helps,

Aitor.