* Mixing upstreams
@ 2022-11-15 16:59 David Runge
From: David Runge @ 2022-11-15 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-rt-users

Hi!

I package the latest stable and the development version of linux-rt for
Arch Linux.

For this I follow the tags created in linux-stable-rt [1] and
linux-rt-devel [2] to rebase commits relevant for the distribution on
top of non-prerelease tags in those repositories.

Yesterday I noticed, that tags from linux-rt-devel (e.g. v6.0.5-rt14
[3]) started showing up in the linux-stable-rt repository.

Was this an oversight on your end or are you starting to migrate all
work on the patchset into one repository (which would also be easier for
me to mirror and track downstream)?

Best,
David

[1] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rt/linux-stable-rt.git
[2] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rt/linux-rt-devel.git
[3] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rt/linux-stable-rt.git/tag/?h=v6.0.5-rt14

--
https://sleepmap.de

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Mixing upstreams
@ 2022-11-21 20:11 ` David Runge
From: David Runge @ 2022-11-21 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-rt-users; +Cc: Clark Williams

On 2022-11-15 17:59:36 (+0100), David Runge wrote:
> I package the latest stable and the development version of linux-rt for
> Arch Linux.
>
> For this I follow the tags created in linux-stable-rt [1] and
> linux-rt-devel [2] to rebase commits relevant for the distribution on
> top of non-prerelease tags in those repositories.
>
> Yesterday I noticed, that tags from linux-rt-devel (e.g. v6.0.5-rt14
> [3]) started showing up in the linux-stable-rt repository.
>
> Was this an oversight on your end or are you starting to migrate all
> work on the patchset into one repository (which would also be easier for
> me to mirror and track downstream)?
>
> Best,
> David
>
> [1] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rt/linux-stable-rt.git
> [2] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rt/linux-rt-devel.git
> [3] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rt/linux-stable-rt.git/tag/?h=v6.0.5-rt14

To follow up on my own message above, I would like to mention that
mixing upstreams makes it much harder to properly track the releases of
the realtime kernels, as I can no longer rely on tags in those
repositories without ignore a list of arbitrary strings (which may grow
over time if someone with push access keeps pushing tags from the other
repository).

It would be really great to get a reply about this.

Best,
David

--
https://sleepmap.de