* [LTP] [RFC] Include runltp-ng (runltp successor) into LTP git
@ 2022-10-31 15:34 Andrea Cervesato via ltp
From: Andrea Cervesato via ltp @ 2022-10-31 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ltp, automated-testing

Hi,

as you may know, runltp has been under bug fixing for years without
providing any new feature. For this reason the Perl runltp-ng
(https://github.com/metan-ucw/runltp-ng) was developed, providing an
alternative solution that wasn't completely accepted by LTP community
due to the choice of using Perl as the main language.

For this reason, a new Python runltp-ng has been developed during this
year, with the target to replace Perl version and the current runltp in
the next future. Its code can be found here:
https://github.com/acerv/runltp-ng

runltp-ng Python version provides the following features:
     - class based architecture in Python 3.6+
     - host tests execution
     - Qemu support to execute test suites on virtualized systems
     - SSH support to execute test suites on remote systems (inside
'ssh' branch for now)
     - kernel panic, oops and system crash recognition during test
suites execution on remote systems
     - JSON report

No external dependencies are needed, beside SSH support which requires
paramiko and scp packages (only if SSH support needs to be used).

We also have a talk in the SUSE Labs Conference 2022, where we discussed
runltp-ng development and usage. It can be found here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMeJBt3S7B0

The idea is to move new runltp-ng Python version in the LTP git
upstream, so we can provide a start for runltp replacement in the next
future. If you have questions or ideas, please feel free to share them
with LTP community by replying to this email. Thanks!

Kind regards,
Andrea Cervesato

QE Automation Engineer Linux
SUSE Software Solutions

* Re: [LTP] [Automated-testing] [RFC] Include runltp-ng (runltp successor) into LTP git
@ 2022-11-17 19:26 ` Bird, Tim
From: Bird, Tim @ 2022-11-17 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrea.cervesato, ltp, automated-testing

Just one quick bit of feedback...

I think this sounds like a great project, and I look forward to trying it out.

> runltp-ng Python version provides the following features:
>      - class based architecture in Python 3.6+

Why python 3.6+?  Fuego uses a docker container with an older
version of Debian, that defaults to Python version 3.5.3.

Is there something specifically in Python 3.6 that is required for runltp-ng?
Could it be avoided so that runltp-ng could be backward compatible with
older interpreters?

(Sorry, but this is one of my pet peeves about the whole Python ecosystem - the lack of
backward compatibility, and the constant need to be creating virtual environments
for basic tools and apps.)
 -- Tim

* Re: [LTP] [Automated-testing] [RFC] Include runltp-ng (runltp successor) into LTP git
@ 2022-11-18  7:39   ` Andrea Cervesato via ltp
From: Andrea Cervesato via ltp @ 2022-11-18  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bird, Tim, ltp, automated-testing

Hi Tim!

On 11/17/22 20:26, Bird, Tim wrote:
> Just one quick bit of feedback...

Short answer: the 3.5 version reached end-of-life the 5th of September
2020 (https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-3510/). Since
runltp-ng is a new tool, I thought that it was a good idea to start with
maintained python versions. But we can discuss about it of course.
> Is there something specifically in Python 3.6 that is required for runltp-ng?
> Could it be avoided so that runltp-ng could be backward compatible with
> older interpreters?
>
> (Sorry, but this is one of my pet peeves about the whole Python ecosystem - the lack of
> backward compatibility, and the constant need to be creating virtual environments
> for basic tools and apps.)
>   -- Tim

Andrea

* Re: [LTP] [Automated-testing] [RFC] Include runltp-ng (runltp successor) into LTP git
@ 2022-11-18 19:54   ` Petr Vorel
From: Petr Vorel @ 2022-11-18 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Bird; +Cc: ltp, automated-testing

Hi Tim,

> Just one quick bit of feedback...

We support versions from 3.6 to 3.11.
We didn't want to maintain anything older.

> Is there something specifically in Python 3.6 that is required for runltp-ng?
> Could it be avoided so that runltp-ng could be backward compatible with
> older interpreters?
Andrea will give more info, there was some limitations.

FYI runltp-ng allows you to connect over SSH (i.e. running on newer host) or
test qcow image started with QEMU. We are also thinking about supporting rootfs
+ separate kernel (output of https://buildroot.org/). Not sure if this helps
you.

We actually try to encourage people to not run runltp-ng on SUT, running from
host will allow more control in case of crashed system by test.

Kind regards,
Petr