* v4l: status of 'add support for multiplexed streams' patch
@ 2021-01-25 14:08 Adrian Fiergolski
From: Adrian Fiergolski @ 2021-01-25 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: niklas.soderlund+renesas
  Cc: laurent.pinchart, sakari.ailus, linux-media, vishal.sagar

Dear Niklas,

Thank you for your 'v4l: add support for multiplexed streams' patch [1].

What is the status of merging your development with v4l-utils? Version
1.16.5 doesn't provide --get/set-routing options. Also in the master of
v4l-utils I haven't found your code.

What is the current way of changing routing the video switches (e.g.
xilinx-axis-swtich which is not yet in the mainstream kernel)?

[1] https://lwn.net/Articles/782479/

* Re: v4l: status of 'add support for multiplexed streams' patch
@ 2021-01-29 22:26 ` Sakari Ailus
From: Sakari Ailus @ 2021-01-29 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adrian Fiergolski
  Cc: niklas.soderlund+renesas, laurent.pinchart, linux-media, vishal.sagar

Hi Adrian,

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 03:08:56PM +0100, Adrian Fiergolski wrote:
> Dear Niklas,
>
> Thank you for your 'v4l: add support for multiplexed streams' patch [1].
>
> What is the status of merging your development with v4l-utils? Version
> 1.16.5 doesn't provide --get/set-routing options. Also in the master of
> v4l-utils I haven't found your code.
>
> What is the current way of changing routing the video switches (e.g.
> xilinx-axis-swtich which is not yet in the mainstream kernel)?
>
> [1] https://lwn.net/Articles/782479/

I seem to have something here:

<URL:https://git.retiisi.eu/?p=~sailus/v4l-utils.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/routing>

It hasn't been tested for some time though. The header update patches need
to be reworked but the media-ctl + libv4l2subdev patches probably rebase
just fine.

Sakari Ailus

* Re: v4l: status of 'add support for multiplexed streams' patch
@ 2021-02-01  1:28   ` Laurent Pinchart
From: Laurent Pinchart @ 2021-02-01  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sakari Ailus
  Cc: Adrian Fiergolski, niklas.soderlund+renesas, linux-media, vishal.sagar

Hello,

On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 12:26:54AM +0200, Sakari Ailus wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 03:08:56PM +0100, Adrian Fiergolski wrote:
> > Dear Niklas,
> >
> > Thank you for your 'v4l: add support for multiplexed streams' patch [1].
> >
> > What is the status of merging your development with v4l-utils? Version
> > 1.16.5 doesn't provide --get/set-routing options. Also in the master of
> > v4l-utils I haven't found your code.
> >
> > What is the current way of changing routing the video switches (e.g.
> > xilinx-axis-swtich which is not yet in the mainstream kernel)?
> >
> > [1] https://lwn.net/Articles/782479/
>
> I seem to have something here:
>
> <URL:https://git.retiisi.eu/?p=~sailus/v4l-utils.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/routing>
>
> It hasn't been tested for some time though. The header update patches need
> to be reworked but the media-ctl + libv4l2subdev patches probably rebase
> just fine.

I've recently rebased the latest version of the patches (exclusing the
changes to the Renesas drivers) that was posted to the linux-media
mailing list, and have pushed the result to

	git://linuxtv.org/pinchartl/media.git muxed-streams

This has only been compile-tested so far, and I hope to test it on real
hardware soon.

Laurent Pinchart

* Re: v4l: status of 'add support for multiplexed streams' patch
@ 2021-02-01  8:57     ` Adrian Fiergolski
From: Adrian Fiergolski @ 2021-02-01  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laurent Pinchart, Sakari Ailus
  Cc: niklas.soderlund+renesas, linux-media, vishal.sagar

Hi,

Thank you for all the feedback.

I have patched linux-xlnx [1] kernel and media-xlnx [2] such I can
continue my project.

From Niklas I learned that video routing activities in the upstream
kernel have been somehow halted. It's a pity. As a fresh guy in this
particular topic one week ago, I was surprised: I found on Internet
patches from last 2-3 years, the work seemed to be quite advanced, but
it hasn't been merged to the upstream yet. From my side, I think video
routing is important for targets processing heavily video streams, like
FPGA accelerators. Unfortunately, due to my time constraints these days,
I can't help in pushing the changes.

Regards,

Adrian

[1] https://github.com/Xilinx/linux-xlnx