* Please apply commit 2347961b11d4 ("binfmt_misc: pass binfmt_misc flags to the interpreter") to 5.10.y and later
@ 2021-03-02 12:57 Salvatore Bonaccorso
From: Salvatore Bonaccorso @ 2021-03-02 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stable
  Cc: Greg Kroah-Hartman, Sasha Levin, Laurent Vivier, YunQiang Su,
	Helge Deller

Hi

2347961b11d4 ("binfmt_misc: pass binfmt_misc flags to the
interpreter") was applied in mainline and included in 5.12-rc1.

Probably you could argue here on both a bugfix or feature addition.

My intention is the following: In the Debian bugreport
https://bugs.debian.org/970460 an issue was raised with qemu-user
which needs to know if it has to preserve the argv[0]. As shown there
it is an issue with multi-call binaries.

So again, not sure if you want to consider it, but defintively
Yunqiang Su and others would appreicate. If it gets backported we will
pick it up automatically.

Regards,
Salvatore

* Re: Please apply commit 2347961b11d4 ("binfmt_misc: pass binfmt_misc flags to the interpreter") to 5.10.y and later
@ 2021-03-04 20:55 ` Sasha Levin
From: Sasha Levin @ 2021-03-04 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Salvatore Bonaccorso
  Cc: stable, Greg Kroah-Hartman, Laurent Vivier, YunQiang Su, Helge Deller

On Tue, Mar 02, 2021 at 01:57:46PM +0100, Salvatore Bonaccorso wrote:
>Hi
>
>2347961b11d4 ("binfmt_misc: pass binfmt_misc flags to the
>interpreter") was applied in mainline and included in 5.12-rc1.
>
>Probably you could argue here on both a bugfix or feature addition.
>
>My intention is the following: In the Debian bugreport
>https://bugs.debian.org/970460 an issue was raised with qemu-user
>which needs to know if it has to preserve the argv[0]. As shown there
>it is an issue with multi-call binaries.
>
>So again, not sure if you want to consider it, but defintively
>Yunqiang Su and others would appreicate. If it gets backported we will
>pick it up automatically.

Given it needs changes in userspace too I'm not sure it qulifies as a
fix per-se. Though as you point out, it's really borderline.

Generally I would just take it, but it affects interactions with
userspace, so I feel less comfortable with this.

Sasha

* Re: Please apply commit 2347961b11d4 ("binfmt_misc: pass binfmt_misc flags to the interpreter") to 5.10.y and later
@ 2021-03-05 10:30   ` Greg Kroah-Hartman
From: Greg Kroah-Hartman @ 2021-03-05 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sasha Levin
  Cc: Salvatore Bonaccorso, stable, Laurent Vivier, YunQiang Su, Helge Deller

On Thu, Mar 04, 2021 at 03:55:48PM -0500, Sasha Levin wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 02, 2021 at 01:57:46PM +0100, Salvatore Bonaccorso wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > 2347961b11d4 ("binfmt_misc: pass binfmt_misc flags to the
> > interpreter") was applied in mainline and included in 5.12-rc1.
> >
> > Probably you could argue here on both a bugfix or feature addition.
> >
> > My intention is the following: In the Debian bugreport
> > https://bugs.debian.org/970460 an issue was raised with qemu-user
> > which needs to know if it has to preserve the argv[0]. As shown there
> > it is an issue with multi-call binaries.
> >
> > So again, not sure if you want to consider it, but defintively
> > Yunqiang Su and others would appreicate. If it gets backported we will
> > pick it up automatically.
>
> Given it needs changes in userspace too I'm not sure it qulifies as a
> fix per-se. Though as you point out, it's really borderline.
>
> Generally I would just take it, but it affects interactions with
> userspace, so I feel less comfortable with this.

Yes, I'm not ok with taking this either at this point in time, as it
requires userspace changes.

thanks,

greg k-h