* NFS client pNFS handling of NFS4ERR_NOSPC
@ 2021-11-07  0:03 Rick Macklem
From: Rick Macklem @ 2021-11-07  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-nfs

Hi,

I ran a simple test using a Linux 5.12 client NFSv4.2 mount
against a FreeBSD pNFS server, where the DS is out of space
(intentionally, by creating a large file on it).

I tried to write a file on the Linux NFS client mount and the
mount point gets "stuck" (will not <ctrl>C nor "umount -f").
--> The client is attempting writes against the DS repeatedly,
       with the DS replying NFS4ERR_NOSPC. (Same byte offsets,
       over and over and over again.)
--> The client is repeatedly sending RPCs with LayoutError in
       them to the MDS, reporting the NFS4ERR_NOSPC.

I'll leave it up to others, but failing the program trying to
write the file with ENOSPC would seem preferable to the
"stuck" mount?
--> Removing the large file from the DS so that the Writes
      can succeed does cause the client to recover.

rick