* BUG: git log dies to SIGPIPE
@ 2021-08-02 17:46 Joseph Jenne
From: Joseph Jenne @ 2021-08-02 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

What did you do before the bug happened? (Steps to reproduce your issue)
used `git log`, exiting the viewer (`less`) before reading the entire
commit history of the project
What did you expect to happen? (Expected behavior)
normal exit with status code 0
What happened instead? (Actual behavior)
git log dies to SIGPIPE after `less` exits
What's different between what you expected and what actually happened?
git does not exit normally as would be expected
Anything else you want to add:

[System Info]
git version:
git version 2.30.2
cpu: x86_64
no commit associated with this build
sizeof-long: 8
sizeof-size_t: 8
shell-path: /bin/sh
uname: Linux 5.10.0-8-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.46-2 (2021-07-20) x86_64
compiler info: gnuc: 10.2
libc info: glibc: 2.31
$SHELL (typically, interactive shell): /bin/zsh

* Re: BUG: git log dies to SIGPIPE
@ 2021-08-02 18:08 ` Jeff King
From: Jeff King @ 2021-08-02 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Jenne; +Cc: git

On Mon, Aug 02, 2021 at 10:46:53AM -0700, Joseph Jenne wrote:

> What did you do before the bug happened? (Steps to reproduce your issue)
> used `git log`, exiting the viewer (`less`) before reading the entire
> commit history of the project
> What did you expect to happen? (Expected behavior)
> normal exit with status code 0
> What happened instead? (Actual behavior)
> git log dies to SIGPIPE after `less` exits
> What's different between what you expected and what actually happened?
> git does not exit normally as would be expected

FWIW, there was a discussion about this a few months ago:

  https://lore.kernel.org/git/YAG%2FvzctP4JwSp5x@zira.vinc17.org/

-Peff

* Re: BUG: git log dies to SIGPIPE
@ 2021-08-02 18:16   ` Joseph Jenne
From: Joseph Jenne @ 2021-08-02 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff King; +Cc: git

Thanks, I'll check it out.

@ 2021-09-26 13:17 ` ZheNing Hu
From: ZheNing Hu @ 2021-09-26 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Jenne; +Cc: Git List, Jeff King

Joseph Jenne <joseph.jenne15@gmail.com> 于2021年8月3日周二 上午1:47写道:

> What did you do before the bug happened? (Steps to reproduce your issue)
> used `git log`, exiting the viewer (`less`) before reading the entire
> commit history of the project
> What did you expect to happen? (Expected behavior)
> normal exit with status code 0
> What happened instead? (Actual behavior)
> git log dies to SIGPIPE after `less` exits
> What's different between what you expected and what actually happened?
> git does not exit normally as would be expected
> Anything else you want to add:
>

> [System Info]
> git version:
> git version 2.30.2
> cpu: x86_64
> no commit associated with this build
> sizeof-long: 8
> sizeof-size_t: 8
> shell-path: /bin/sh
> uname: Linux 5.10.0-8-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.46-2 (2021-07-20) x86_64
> compiler info: gnuc: 10.2
> libc info: glibc: 2.31
> $SHELL (typically, interactive shell): /bin/zsh

I may be a little unresponsive, I also saw this bug today, and there
is no such bug
in a small repository, it only appears in a large repository.

I now know that it comes from outside git, this is really bad.

--
ZheNing Hu

* Re: BUG: git log dies to SIGPIPE
@ 2021-09-27  0:29   ` Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason
From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason @ 2021-09-27  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ZheNing Hu; +Cc: Joseph Jenne, Git List, Jeff King

On Sun, Sep 26 2021, ZheNing Hu wrote:

> Joseph Jenne <joseph.jenne15@gmail.com> 于2021年8月3日周二 上午1:47写道:
>>
>> What did you do before the bug happened? (Steps to reproduce your issue)
>> used `git log`, exiting the viewer (`less`) before reading the entire
>> commit history of the project
>> What did you expect to happen? (Expected behavior)
>> normal exit with status code 0
>> What happened instead? (Actual behavior)
>> git log dies to SIGPIPE after `less` exits
>> What's different between what you expected and what actually happened?
>> git does not exit normally as would be expected
>> Anything else you want to add:
>>

>> [System Info]
>> git version:
>> git version 2.30.2
>> cpu: x86_64
>> no commit associated with this build
>> sizeof-long: 8
>> sizeof-size_t: 8
>> shell-path: /bin/sh
>> uname: Linux 5.10.0-8-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.46-2 (2021-07-20) x86_64
>> compiler info: gnuc: 10.2
>> libc info: glibc: 2.31
>> $SHELL (typically, interactive shell): /bin/zsh
>
> I may be a little unresponsive, I also saw this bug today, and there
> is no such bug
> in a small repository, it only appears in a large repository.
>
> I now know that it comes from outside git, this is really bad.

Please see the discussion starting at
https://lore.kernel.org/git/YAG%2FvzctP4JwSp5x@zira.vinc17.org/ about
whether this is even considered a bug, but in any case the causes are
well understood.