* [Tech-board-discuss] Nomination: Kent Overstreet on the TAB (cut to 200 words)
@ 2021-09-20  2:37 Kent Overstreet
From: Kent Overstreet @ 2021-09-20  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tech-board-discuss

Hi, I've been a long time kernel developer. Notable contributions include
bcache, bcachefs (upcoming), and core block layer and IO path work, and some
interesting data structures. These days, I mostly interact with other filesystem
and MM developers.

I became interested in kernel development over 20 years ago, when I learned that
there was this operating system that was developed by a team of volunteers
working together over the internet, out in the open - and that anyone could join
them and contribute, if they had the knowledge and skill - and especially, the
dedication. Reading LKML was my engineering education, much more than college
was.

My interest in the TAB is primarily in the area of learning to foster a better
development culture - more collaborative, more forward thinking. Encouraging
better communication, and also encouraging people to do the difficult but long
lasting work - the big cleanups, the rearchitecting of core data structures that
touch everything - the things that tend to be contentious in the short term (so
we shy away from them!) but often have big payoffs.

Thank you for your consideration,
Kent

only message in thread, other threads:[~2021-09-20  2:37 UTC | newest]