* pl2303 converter detected, unknown device type
@ 2021-11-23  7:16 Anton Lundin
From: Anton Lundin @ 2021-11-23  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-usb

I just picked up a new usb-rs232 adapter and was met by the following on
a modern kernel:

# uname -r
5.16.0-rc2

usb 3-7: new full-speed USB device number 5 using xhci_hcd
usb 3-7: New USB device found, idVendor=067b, idProduct=23a3, bcdDevice= 1.05
usb 3-7: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
usb 3-7: Product: ATEN USB to Serial Bridge
usb 3-7: Manufacturer: Prolific Technology Inc.
pl2303 3-7:1.0: pl2303 converter detected
pl2303 3-7:1.0: unknown device type, please report to linux-usb@vger.kernel.org

# lsusb -vv -d 067b:23a3

Bus 003 Device 005: ID 067b:23a3 Prolific Technology, Inc. ATEN USB to Serial Bridge
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceClass            0
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  idVendor           0x067b Prolific Technology, Inc.
  idProduct          0x23a3
  bcdDevice            1.05
  iManufacturer           1 Prolific Technology Inc.
  iProduct                2 ATEN USB to Serial Bridge
  iSerial                 0
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength       0x0027
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0xbf
      (Bus Powered)
      Remote Wakeup
      Battery Powered
    MaxPower              100mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           3
      bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
      bInterfaceSubClass      0
      bInterfaceProtocol      0
      iInterface              0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            3
          Transfer Type            Interrupt
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x000a  1x 10 bytes
        bInterval               1
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x02  EP 2 OUT
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
        bInterval               0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x83  EP 3 IN
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
        bInterval               0
can't get device qualifier: Resource temporarily unavailable
can't get debug descriptor: Resource temporarily unavailable
Device Status:     0x0000
  (Bus Powered)

But it worked on a bit older Debian Bullseye kernel:

# uname -r
5.10.0-8-amd64

usb 1-2: new full-speed USB device number 5 using xhci_hcd
usb 1-2: New USB device found, idVendor=067b, idProduct=23a3, bcdDevice= 1.05
usb 1-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
usb 1-2: Product: ATEN USB to Serial Bridge
usb 1-2: Manufacturer: Prolific Technology Inc.
usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic
usbserial: USB Serial support registered for generic
usbcore: registered new interface driver pl2303
usbserial: USB Serial support registered for pl2303
pl2303 1-2:1.0: pl2303 converter detected
usb 1-2: pl2303 converter now attached to ttyUSB0

I'm guessing it just needs a case for this bcdDevice.

//Anton

* Re: pl2303 converter detected, unknown device type
@ 2021-11-23  8:13 ` Johan Hovold
From: Johan Hovold @ 2021-11-23  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anton Lundin; +Cc: linux-usb

On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 08:16:13AM +0100, Anton Lundin wrote:
> I just picked up a new usb-rs232 adapter and was met by the following on
> a modern kernel:
>
> # uname -r
> 5.16.0-rc2
>
> usb 3-7: new full-speed USB device number 5 using xhci_hcd
> usb 3-7: New USB device found, idVendor=067b, idProduct=23a3, bcdDevice= 1.05
> usb 3-7: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
> usb 3-7: Product: ATEN USB to Serial Bridge
> usb 3-7: Manufacturer: Prolific Technology Inc.
> pl2303 3-7:1.0: pl2303 converter detected
> pl2303 3-7:1.0: unknown device type, please report to linux-usb@vger.kernel.org

> I'm guessing it just needs a case for this bcdDevice.

Indeed, and thanks for reporting this. I'll add the missing entry.

Do you know what kind of PL2303 this is (e.g. PL2303GC)?

Johan

* Re: pl2303 converter detected, unknown device type
@ 2021-11-23  8:34   ` Anton Lundin
From: Anton Lundin @ 2021-11-23  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johan Hovold; +Cc: linux-usb

On 23 November, 2021 - Johan Hovold wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 08:16:13AM +0100, Anton Lundin wrote:
> > I just picked up a new usb-rs232 adapter and was met by the following on
> > a modern kernel:
> >
> > # uname -r
> > 5.16.0-rc2
> >
> > usb 3-7: new full-speed USB device number 5 using xhci_hcd
> > usb 3-7: New USB device found, idVendor=067b, idProduct=23a3, bcdDevice= 1.05
> > usb 3-7: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
> > usb 3-7: Product: ATEN USB to Serial Bridge
> > usb 3-7: Manufacturer: Prolific Technology Inc.
> > pl2303 3-7:1.0: pl2303 converter detected
> > pl2303 3-7:1.0: unknown device type, please report to linux-usb@vger.kernel.org
>
> > I'm guessing it just needs a case for this bcdDevice.
>
> Indeed, and thanks for reporting this. I'll add the missing entry.
>
> Do you know what kind of PL2303 this is (e.g. PL2303GC)?

Sorry nope. The device is potted with some kind of opaque plastic, so I
can see that there are two qfp's on the board, but not the numbers on
them.

If there is some way of identifying the chip I can build a custom driver
that can read out any information if that helps.

@ 2021-11-23  8:59     ` Johan Hovold
From: Johan Hovold @ 2021-11-23  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anton Lundin; +Cc: linux-usb

On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 09:34:30AM +0100, Anton Lundin wrote:
> On 23 November, 2021 - Johan Hovold wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 08:16:13AM +0100, Anton Lundin wrote:
> > > I just picked up a new usb-rs232 adapter and was met by the following on
> > > a modern kernel:
> > >
> > > # uname -r
> > > 5.16.0-rc2
> > >
> > > usb 3-7: new full-speed USB device number 5 using xhci_hcd
> > > usb 3-7: New USB device found, idVendor=067b, idProduct=23a3, bcdDevice= 1.05
> > > usb 3-7: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
> > > usb 3-7: Product: ATEN USB to Serial Bridge
> > > usb 3-7: Manufacturer: Prolific Technology Inc.
> > > pl2303 3-7:1.0: pl2303 converter detected
> > > pl2303 3-7:1.0: unknown device type, please report to linux-usb@vger.kernel.org
> >
> > > I'm guessing it just needs a case for this bcdDevice.
> >
> > Indeed, and thanks for reporting this. I'll add the missing entry.
> >
> > Do you know what kind of PL2303 this is (e.g. PL2303GC)?
>
> Sorry nope. The device is potted with some kind of opaque plastic, so I
> can see that there are two qfp's on the board, but not the numbers on
> them.

Ok, thanks for checking. Judging from the Prolific site the only G type
device that comes in a QFP type package appears to be PL2303GC.

> If there is some way of identifying the chip I can build a custom driver
> that can read out any information if that helps.

Thanks. Currently bcdDevice is the only known way to do this, but I may
get back to you on this later.

Let's assume it's a PL2303GC for now.

Johan

* Re: pl2303 converter detected, unknown device type
@ 2022-06-20  7:15 ` Johan Hovold
From: Johan Hovold @ 2022-06-20  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giles Roadnight; +Cc: glance, linux-usb

On Sun, Jun 19, 2022 at 10:10:37AM +0100, Giles Roadnight wrote:
> Was there ever any resolution to this? I am having the same issue and
> have tried multiple combinations of different Raspberry pi os and pi
> and get the same issue.
>
> Johan - did you add support for this model? If so how to update to the
> latest version so that I can use this usb device?

You appear to have a different device than the one Anton reported (e.g.
PL2303GS instead of PL2303GC), but the fix is similar and was
merged in March as I just mentioned in my other mail.

> (forgive the basic questions, I am not very experienced with linux so
> don't know what bit I need to update to get the latest usb drivers -
> or whatever it is you updated)

Just make sure you update to a recent mainline or stable kernel (e.g.
5.17.2, 5.16.19, 5.15.33 or newer) or wait until your distro kernel
catches up.

The commit you need is

	5b6ab28d0678 ("USB: serial: pl2303: fix GS type detection")

if you want to report it to the distro.

Johan

* Re: pl2303 converter detected, unknown device type
@ 2022-06-19  9:10 Giles Roadnight
From: Giles Roadnight @ 2022-06-19  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: johan; +Cc: glance, linux-usb

Was there ever any resolution to this? I am having the same issue and
have tried multiple combinations of different Raspberry pi os and pi
and get the same issue.

Johan - did you add support for this model? If so how to update to the
latest version so that I can use this usb device?

(forgive the basic questions, I am not very experienced with linux so
don't know what bit I need to update to get the latest usb drivers -
or whatever it is you updated)

Thanks

Giles Roadnight
http://giles.roadnight.name