* INVALID ELF STRUCTURES
@ 2021-12-21 16:54 ` Eliyam Levy
From: Eliyam Levy @ 2021-12-21 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-modules, linux-newbie

Hi,

I'm on Ubuntu 20.04 with kernel version 5.11 and I keep hitting the
"Module has invalid ELF structures" error on a kernel module I'm
building. I know this is related to the "harden ELF info handling"
patch that was introduced. Are there any useful ways to debug this? Is
there anything I should be mindful of when building the kernel module
to avoid this?

Best,
Eliyam

* INVALID ELF STRUCTURES
@ 2021-12-21 16:54 ` Eliyam Levy
From: Eliyam Levy @ 2021-12-21 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-modules-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,
	linux-newbie-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Hi,

I'm on Ubuntu 20.04 with kernel version 5.11 and I keep hitting the
"Module has invalid ELF structures" error on a kernel module I'm
building. I know this is related to the "harden ELF info handling"
patch that was introduced. Are there any useful ways to debug this? Is
there anything I should be mindful of when building the kernel module
to avoid this?

Best,
Eliyam

* Re: INVALID ELF STRUCTURES
@ 2021-12-21 21:44   ` Luis Chamberlain
From: Luis Chamberlain @ 2021-12-21 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eliyam Levy; +Cc: linux-modules, linux-newbie

On Tue, Dec 21, 2021 at 11:54:09AM -0500, Eliyam Levy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm on Ubuntu 20.04 with kernel version 5.11 and I keep hitting the
> "Module has invalid ELF structures" error on a kernel module I'm
> building. I know this is related to the "harden ELF info handling"
> patch that was introduced. Are there any useful ways to debug this? Is
> there anything I should be mindful of when building the kernel module
> to avoid this?

Look for the already merged patch, "module: change to print useful
messages from elf_validity_check()".

$ git describe --contains 7fd982f394c42f25a73fe9dfbf1e6b11fa26b40a
v5.16-rc1~95^2

  Luis

From: Luis Chamberlain @ 2021-12-21 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eliyam Levy