* [LTP] Disktest Removed from LTP?
@ 2021-12-22 19:15 Brent Yardley
From: Brent Yardley @ 2021-12-22 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ltp

Hello,

I was just told that disktest, the tool that I wrote for testing disk subsystems, has been removed from the LTP. I was not asked about this and was surprised to see that it is considered not maintained. I know that I’ve not added anything new to it for many year, but I know that it is used as I get questions about it from time to time.

Can I ask someone about this or can I be directed to someone to better understand why it is considered not used?

Thanks,
- Brent

Thanks,
- Brent

* Re: [LTP] Disktest Removed from LTP?
@ 2021-12-22 19:26 ` Cyril Hrubis
From: Cyril Hrubis @ 2021-12-22 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brent Yardley; +Cc: ltp

Hi!
> I was just told that disktest, the tool that I wrote for testing disk
> subsystems, has been removed from the LTP. I was not asked about this
> and was surprised to see that it is considered not maintained. I know
> that I???ve not added anything new to it for many year, but I know
> that it is used as I get questions about it from time to time.
>
> Can I ask someone about this or can I be directed to someone to better
> understand why it is considered not used?

The removal has been discussed in this thread:

https://lists.linux.it/pipermail/ltp/2021-June/022960.html

It has been sitting unused in the source tree for years unused so we
decided to remove it. If it's still used somewhere it could be
ressurected and put somewhere on GitHub.

--
Cyril Hrubis
chrubis@suse.cz

* Re: [LTP] Disktest Removed from LTP?
@ 2021-12-22 21:49   ` Brent Yardley
From: Brent Yardley @ 2021-12-22 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cyril Hrubis; +Cc: ltp

Interesting. It is used quite a bit and it can be used on SSDs and SATA, SAS, as well as NVMe devices. It was never included in a run script as it can be data destructive.

It is used a part of other projects and internal to a number of teams. I was just recently asked about the man page, and that is when It was found to no longer be in the LTP.

So if it is no longer wanted in the LTP, are you saying that I should just post it as an independent project?

Thanks,
- Brent

@ 2021-12-29 11:49     ` Cyril Hrubis
From: Cyril Hrubis @ 2021-12-29 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brent Yardley; +Cc: ltp

Hi!
> Interesting. It is used quite a bit and it can be used on SSDs and
> SATA, SAS, as well as NVMe devices. It was never included in a run
> script as it can be data destructive.
>
> It is used a part of other projects and internal to a number of teams.
> I was just recently asked about the man page, and that is when It was
> found to no longer be in the LTP.
>
> So if it is no longer wanted in the LTP, are you saying that I should
> just post it as an independent project?

That would be the best solution. We can create a disktest repository
under the linux-test-project organization on GitHub and give you access
to that repo if you want to keep it under the LTP umbrela.

--
Cyril Hrubis
chrubis@suse.cz