* iblinkinfo for Python
@ 2022-01-05 10:32 Benjamin Drung
From: Benjamin Drung @ 2022-01-05 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-rdma

Hi,

we have an in-house Shell script that uses iblinkinfo to check if the
InfiniBand cabling is correct. This information can be derived from the
node names that can be seen for the HCA port. I want to improve that
check and rewrite it in Python, but I failed to find an easy and robust
way to retrieve the node names for a HCA port:

1) Call "iblinkinfo --line" and parse the output. Parsing the output
could probably be done with a complex regular expression. This solution
is too ugly IMO.

2) Extend iblinkinfo to provide a JSON output. Then let the Python
script call "iblinkinfo --json" and simply use json.load for parsing.
This solution requires some C coding and probably a good json library
should be used to avoid generating bogus JSON.

3) Use https://github.com/jgunthorpe/python-rdma but this library has
not been touched for five years and needs porting to Python 3. So that
is probably a lot of work as well.

4) Use pyverbs provided by rdma-core, but I found neither a single API
call to query similar data to iblinkinfo, nor an example for that use
case.

What should I do?

--
Benjamin Drung

Senior DevOps Engineer and Debian & Ubuntu Developer
Compute Platform Operations Cloud

IONOS SE | Revaler Str. 30 | 10245 Berlin | Deutschland
E-Mail: benjamin.drung@ionos.com | Web: www.ionos.de

Hauptsitz Montabaur, Amtsgericht Montabaur, HRB 24498

Vorstand: Hüseyin Dogan, Dr. Martin Endreß, Claudia Frese, Henning
Kettler, Arthur Mai, Britta Schmidt, Achim Weiß
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Markus Kadelke

Member of United Internet