* Persistent memory file system development in Rust
@ 2022-01-25 22:02 Hayley Leblanc
From: Hayley Leblanc @ 2022-01-25 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-fsdevel, rust-for-linux; +Cc: Vijay Chidambaram

Hello,

I'm a PhD student at UT Austin advised by Vijay Chidambaram (cc'ed).
We are interested in building a file system for persistent memory in
Rust, as recent research [1] has indicated that Rust's safety features
could eliminate some classes of crash consistency bugs in PM systems.
In doing so, we'd like to build a system that has the potential to be
adopted beyond the research community. I have a few questions (below)
about the direction of work in this area within the Linux community,
and would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the general idea
of this project as well.

1. What is the state of PM file system development in the kernel? I
know that there was some effort to merge NOVA [2] and nvfs [3] in the
last few years, but neither seems to have panned out.

2. What is the state of file system work, if any, on the Rust for
Linux side of things?

3. We're interested in using a framework called Bento [4] as the basis
for our file system development. Is this project on Linux devs' radar?
What are the rough chances that this work (or something similar) could
end up in the kernel at some point?

Thank you!

Best,
Hayley LeBlanc