* Adding a 'qemu.qmp' repository to gitlab.com/qemu-project/
@ 2022-02-04 19:46 John Snow
From: John Snow @ 2022-02-04 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Maydell
  Cc: Paolo Bonzini, Alex Bennée, qemu-devel, Stefan Hajnoczi

Hi Peter:

I am working my way towards splitting the QMP library out of the
qemu.git source tree. I'd like to ask for permission to:

(1) Create a "qemu.qmp" repository under the qemu-project umbrella on GitLab
(2) Add Cleber Rosa and myself as maintainers of this repository. (In
discussion, Dan Berrange suggested a third maintainer for redundancy,
but nobody from outside of RH has yet volunteered. The offer stands,
but I have to press on in the meantime.)

The initial patches that set up the new repository are not yet
finalized and are still under review/development (on the qemu-devel
list, as normal), but I wanted to reach out and directly ask if you
have any objections to this plan so I can adjust the trajectory of my
work if necessary.

In short, the plan is to publish the QMP library as its own
mini-project published to the Python package repository, and take
patches via GitLab merge requests.

Thanks,
--js

* Re: Adding a 'qemu.qmp' repository to gitlab.com/qemu-project/
@ 2022-02-07 16:54 ` Alex Bennée
From: Alex Bennée @ 2022-02-07 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Snow; +Cc: Peter Maydell, qemu-devel, Stefan Hajnoczi, Paolo Bonzini

John Snow <jsnow@redhat.com> writes:

> Hi Peter:
>
> I am working my way towards splitting the QMP library out of the
> qemu.git source tree. I'd like to ask for permission to:
>
> (1) Create a "qemu.qmp" repository under the qemu-project umbrella on
> GitLab

No objection for my part except maybe a better name? QemuPythonQmp? I
guess the header text can make it clear.

--
Alex Bennée

* Re: Adding a 'qemu.qmp' repository to gitlab.com/qemu-project/
@ 2022-02-07 17:48   ` John Snow
From: John Snow @ 2022-02-07 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Bennée
  Cc: Peter Maydell, qemu-devel, Stefan Hajnoczi, Paolo Bonzini

On Mon, Feb 7, 2022 at 11:56 AM Alex Bennée <alex.bennee@linaro.org> wrote:

> John Snow <jsnow@redhat.com> writes:
>
> > Hi Peter:
> >
> > I am working my way towards splitting the QMP library out of the
> > qemu.git source tree. I'd like to ask for permission to:
> >
> > (1) Create a "qemu.qmp" repository under the qemu-project umbrella on
> > GitLab
>
> No objection for my part except maybe a better name? QemuPythonQmp? I
> guess the header text can make it clear.

At present, the package is named "qemu.qmp", which is the import name in Python.
("qemu" is the namespace, "qmp" is the package, "import qemu.qmp" is
how you import it.)

I figured I'd just name the repository the exact same thing, but I
realize that may introduce some ambiguity at the QEMU project gitlab
namespace level. "py-qemu.qmp" or similar would also probably be fine.
I think I want to avoid straying too far away from the import and
package names, if I can.

@ 2022-02-07 18:05   ` Daniel P. Berrangé
From: Daniel P. Berrangé @ 2022-02-07 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Bennée
  Cc: Peter Maydell, John Snow, qemu-devel, Stefan Hajnoczi, Paolo Bonzini

On Mon, Feb 07, 2022 at 04:54:25PM +0000, Alex Bennée wrote:

> John Snow <jsnow@redhat.com> writes:
>
> > Hi Peter:
> >
> > I am working my way towards splitting the QMP library out of the
> > qemu.git source tree. I'd like to ask for permission to:
> >
> > (1) Create a "qemu.qmp" repository under the qemu-project umbrella on
> > GitLab
>
> No objection for my part except maybe a better name? QemuPythonQmp? I
> guess the header text can make it clear.

I think it definitely ought to have the word 'python' in the
repo name, because there's talk of having bindings for other
languages and we want a reliable way to distinguish what repo
and project we're dealing with, if the remaining part of the
name is not very distinctive.  'python-qemu.qmp.git' seems
reasonable enough.

Regards,
Daniel

* Re: Adding a 'qemu.qmp' repository to gitlab.com/qemu-project/
@ 2022-02-08 18:54 ` Peter Maydell
From: Peter Maydell @ 2022-02-08 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Snow; +Cc: Paolo Bonzini, Alex Bennée, qemu-devel, Stefan Hajnoczi

On Fri, 4 Feb 2022 at 19:47, John Snow <jsnow@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi Peter:
>
> I am working my way towards splitting the QMP library out of the
> qemu.git source tree. I'd like to ask for permission to:
>
> (1) Create a "qemu.qmp" repository under the qemu-project umbrella on GitLab
> (2) Add Cleber Rosa and myself as maintainers of this repository. (In
> discussion, Dan Berrange suggested a third maintainer for redundancy,
> but nobody from outside of RH has yet volunteered. The offer stands,
> but I have to press on in the meantime.)

Since you asked me specifically, no objection, but agreed with
the other remarks in the thread about picking a more
obviously this-is-python-qmp-bindings indicating name.

-- PMM

* Re: Adding a 'qemu.qmp' repository to gitlab.com/qemu-project/
@ 2022-02-08 18:56   ` John Snow
From: John Snow @ 2022-02-08 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Maydell
  Cc: Paolo Bonzini, Alex Bennée, qemu-devel, Stefan Hajnoczi

On Tue, Feb 8, 2022 at 1:54 PM Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Feb 2022 at 19:47, John Snow <jsnow@redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Peter:
> >
> > I am working my way towards splitting the QMP library out of the
> > qemu.git source tree. I'd like to ask for permission to:
> >
> > (1) Create a "qemu.qmp" repository under the qemu-project umbrella on GitLab
> > (2) Add Cleber Rosa and myself as maintainers of this repository. (In
> > discussion, Dan Berrange suggested a third maintainer for redundancy,
> > but nobody from outside of RH has yet volunteered. The offer stands,
> > but I have to press on in the meantime.)
>
> Since you asked me specifically, no objection, but agreed with
> the other remarks in the thread about picking a more
> obviously this-is-python-qmp-bindings indicating name.

OK, great! Thanks a million :)