* Question about vmstate_register(), dc->vmsd and instance_id
@ 2022-03-17 13:58 Daniel Henrique Barboza
From: Daniel Henrique Barboza @ 2022-03-17 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel; +Cc: David Gibson

Hi,

I've been looking into converting some vmstate_register() calls to use dc->vmsd,
using as a base the docs in docs/devel/migration.rst. This doc mentions that we
can either register the vmsd by using vmstate_register() or we can use dc->vmsd
for qdev-based devices.

When trying to convert this vmstate() call for the qdev alternative (hw/ppc/spapr_drc.c,
drc_realize()) I found this:

     vmstate_register(VMSTATE_IF(drc), spapr_drc_index(drc), &vmstate_spapr_drc,
                      drc);

spapr_drc_index() is an unique identifier for these DRC devices and it's being used
as instance_id. It is not clear to me how we can keep using this same instance_id when
using the dc->vmsd alternative. By looking a bit into migration files I understood
that if dc->vmsd is being used the instance_id is always autogenerated. Is that correct?

Another related question is the role of instance_id per se. I understand that this
value is used to identify SaveStateEntries in migration/savevm.c and it's autogenerated
if the caller does not provide it. And there's also this comment from
register_savevm_live():

/* TODO: Individual devices generally have very little idea about the rest
    of the system, so instance_id should be removed/replaced.
    Meanwhile pass -1 as instance_id if you do not already have a clearly
    distinguishing id for all instances of your device class. */

Given that this is a 13 year old comment from Anthony Liguori I wanted to confirm its
validity. Is there a long term goal of getting rid of instance_id? Can I ignore its
role when converting these calls to dc->vmsd?

Thanks,

Daniel

* Re: Question about vmstate_register(), dc->vmsd and instance_id
@ 2022-03-17 15:04 ` Peter Maydell
From: Peter Maydell @ 2022-03-17 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Henrique Barboza; +Cc: qemu-devel, David Gibson

On Thu, 17 Mar 2022 at 14:03, Daniel Henrique Barboza
<danielhb413@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been looking into converting some vmstate_register() calls to use dc->vmsd,
> using as a base the docs in docs/devel/migration.rst. This doc mentions that we
> can either register the vmsd by using vmstate_register() or we can use dc->vmsd
> for qdev-based devices.
>
> When trying to convert this vmstate() call for the qdev alternative (hw/ppc/spapr_drc.c,
> drc_realize()) I found this:
>
>      vmstate_register(VMSTATE_IF(drc), spapr_drc_index(drc), &vmstate_spapr_drc,
>                       drc);
>
> spapr_drc_index() is an unique identifier for these DRC devices and it's being used
> as instance_id. It is not clear to me how we can keep using this same instance_id when
> using the dc->vmsd alternative. By looking a bit into migration files I understood
> that if dc->vmsd is being used the instance_id is always autogenerated. Is that correct?

Not entirely. It is the intended common setup, but because changing
the ID value breaks migration compatibility there is a mechanism
for saying "my device is special and needs to set the instance ID
to something else" -- qdev_set_legacy_instance_id().

> Given that this is a 13 year old comment from Anthony Liguori I wanted to confirm its
> validity. Is there a long term goal of getting rid of instance_id? Can I ignore its
> role when converting these calls to dc->vmsd?

Only if you're prepared to break migration compatibility, I think.

-- PMM

* Re: Question about vmstate_register(), dc->vmsd and instance_id
@ 2022-03-17 16:29   ` Dr. David Alan Gilbert
From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert @ 2022-03-17 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Maydell; +Cc: Daniel Henrique Barboza, qemu-devel, David Gibson

* Peter Maydell (peter.maydell@linaro.org) wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Mar 2022 at 14:03, Daniel Henrique Barboza
> <danielhb413@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've been looking into converting some vmstate_register() calls to use dc->vmsd,
> > using as a base the docs in docs/devel/migration.rst. This doc mentions that we
> > can either register the vmsd by using vmstate_register() or we can use dc->vmsd
> > for qdev-based devices.
> >
> > When trying to convert this vmstate() call for the qdev alternative (hw/ppc/spapr_drc.c,
> > drc_realize()) I found this:
> >
> >      vmstate_register(VMSTATE_IF(drc), spapr_drc_index(drc), &vmstate_spapr_drc,
> >                       drc);
> >
> > spapr_drc_index() is an unique identifier for these DRC devices and it's being used
> > as instance_id. It is not clear to me how we can keep using this same instance_id when
> > using the dc->vmsd alternative. By looking a bit into migration files I understood
> > that if dc->vmsd is being used the instance_id is always autogenerated. Is that correct?
>
> Not entirely. It is the intended common setup, but because changing
> the ID value breaks migration compatibility there is a mechanism
> for saying "my device is special and needs to set the instance ID
> to something else" -- qdev_set_legacy_instance_id().

Yes, this is normally only an issue for 'system' or memory mapped
devices;  for things hung off a bus that has it's own device naming,
then each instance of a device has it's own device due to the bus name
so instance_id's aren't used.  Where you've got a few of the
same device with the same name, and no bus for them to be named by, then
the instance_id is used to uniquify them.

Dave

@ 2022-03-18  3:43     ` David Gibson
From: David Gibson @ 2022-03-18  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dr. David Alan Gilbert; +Cc: Peter Maydell, Daniel Henrique Barboza, qemu-devel

On Thu, Mar 17, 2022 at 04:29:14PM +0000, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> * Peter Maydell (peter.maydell@linaro.org) wrote:
> > On Thu, 17 Mar 2022 at 14:03, Daniel Henrique Barboza
> > <danielhb413@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I've been looking into converting some vmstate_register() calls to use dc->vmsd,
> > > using as a base the docs in docs/devel/migration.rst. This doc mentions that we
> > > can either register the vmsd by using vmstate_register() or we can use dc->vmsd
> > > for qdev-based devices.
> > >
> > > When trying to convert this vmstate() call for the qdev alternative (hw/ppc/spapr_drc.c,
> > > drc_realize()) I found this:
> > >
> > >      vmstate_register(VMSTATE_IF(drc), spapr_drc_index(drc), &vmstate_spapr_drc,
> > >                       drc);
> > >
> > > spapr_drc_index() is an unique identifier for these DRC devices and it's being used
> > > as instance_id. It is not clear to me how we can keep using this same instance_id when
> > > using the dc->vmsd alternative. By looking a bit into migration files I understood
> > > that if dc->vmsd is being used the instance_id is always autogenerated. Is that correct?
> >
> > Not entirely. It is the intended common setup, but because changing
> > the ID value breaks migration compatibility there is a mechanism
> > for saying "my device is special and needs to set the instance ID
> > to something else" -- qdev_set_legacy_instance_id().
>
> Yes, this is normally only an issue for 'system' or memory mapped
> devices;  for things hung off a bus that has it's own device naming,
> then each instance of a device has it's own device due to the bus name
> so instance_id's aren't used.  Where you've got a few of the
> same device with the same name, and no bus for them to be named by, then
> the instance_id is used to uniquify them.

Thanks for the information.  I remember deciding at the time that just
using vmsd wouldn't work for the DRCs because we needed this fixed
index.  At the time either qdev_set_legacy_instance_id() didn't exist,
or I didn't know about it, hence the explicit vmstate_register() call
so that an explicit instance id could be supplied.

				| _way_ _around_!
http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Question about vmstate_register(), dc->vmsd and instance_id
@ 2022-03-18 19:51       ` Daniel Henrique Barboza
From: Daniel Henrique Barboza @ 2022-03-18 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Gibson, Dr. David Alan Gilbert; +Cc: Peter Maydell, qemu-devel

On 3/18/22 00:43, David Gibson wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 17, 2022 at 04:29:14PM +0000, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
>> * Peter Maydell (peter.maydell@linaro.org) wrote:

>>> Not entirely. It is the intended common setup, but because changing
>>> the ID value breaks migration compatibility there is a mechanism
>>> for saying "my device is special and needs to set the instance ID
>>> to something else" -- qdev_set_legacy_instance_id().
>>
>> Yes, this is normally only an issue for 'system' or memory mapped
>> devices;  for things hung off a bus that has it's own device naming,
>> then each instance of a device has it's own device due to the bus name
>> so instance_id's aren't used.  Where you've got a few of the
>> same device with the same name, and no bus for them to be named by, then
>> the instance_id is used to uniquify them.

Thanks for the info. qdev_set_legacy_instance_id() was the missing piece I was
looking for to continue with the dc->vmsd transition I'd like to do.

> Thanks for the information.  I remember deciding at the time that just
> using vmsd wouldn't work for the DRCs because we needed this fixed
> index.  At the time either qdev_set_legacy_instance_id() didn't exist,
> or I didn't know about it, hence the explicit vmstate_register() call
> so that an explicit instance id could be supplied.

This is the commit that introduced DRC migration:

commit a50919dddf148b0a2008db4a0593dbe69e1059c0
Author: Daniel Henrique Barboza <danielhb@linux.vnet.ibm.com>
Date:   Mon May 22 16:35:49 2017 -0300

     hw/ppc: migrating the DRC state of hotplugged devices

I'd say you can cut yourself some slack this time. Blame that guy instead.

@ 2022-03-19  9:43         ` David Gibson
From: David Gibson @ 2022-03-19  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Henrique Barboza; +Cc: Peter Maydell, Dr. David Alan Gilbert, qemu-devel

On Fri, Mar 18, 2022 at 04:51:10PM -0300, Daniel Henrique Barboza wrote:

> On 3/18/22 00:43, David Gibson wrote:

> > > Yes, this is normally only an issue for 'system' or memory mapped
> > > devices;  for things hung off a bus that has it's own device naming,
> > > then each instance of a device has it's own device due to the bus name
> > > so instance_id's aren't used.  Where you've got a few of the
> > > same device with the same name, and no bus for them to be named by, then
> > > the instance_id is used to uniquify them.
>

> Thanks for the info. qdev_set_legacy_instance_id() was the missing piece I was
> looking for to continue with the dc->vmsd transition I'd like to do.
>

> > Thanks for the information.  I remember deciding at the time that just
> > using vmsd wouldn't work for the DRCs because we needed this fixed
> > index.  At the time either qdev_set_legacy_instance_id() didn't exist,
> > or I didn't know about it, hence the explicit vmstate_register() call
> > so that an explicit instance id could be supplied.
> >

> This is the commit that introduced DRC migration:
>

> commit a50919dddf148b0a2008db4a0593dbe69e1059c0
> Author: Daniel Henrique Barboza <danielhb@linux.vnet.ibm.com>
> Date:   Mon May 22 16:35:49 2017 -0300
>
>     hw/ppc: migrating the DRC state of hotplugged devices
>

> I'd say you can cut yourself some slack this time. Blame that guy
> instead.

Man, not that guy again! ;-)

I think I must have done something similar with some other migration
component.

				| _way_ _around_!
http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Question about vmstate_register(), dc->vmsd and instance_id
@ 2022-03-23 21:39     ` Daniel Henrique Barboza
From: Daniel Henrique Barboza @ 2022-03-23 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dr. David Alan Gilbert, Peter Maydell; +Cc: qemu-devel, David Gibson

On 3/17/22 13:29, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> * Peter Maydell (peter.maydell@linaro.org) wrote:
>> On Thu, 17 Mar 2022 at 14:03, Daniel Henrique Barboza
>> <danielhb413@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I've been looking into converting some vmstate_register() calls to use dc->vmsd,
>>> using as a base the docs in docs/devel/migration.rst. This doc mentions that we
>>> can either register the vmsd by using vmstate_register() or we can use dc->vmsd
>>> for qdev-based devices.
>>>
>>> When trying to convert this vmstate() call for the qdev alternative (hw/ppc/spapr_drc.c,
>>> drc_realize()) I found this:
>>>
>>>       vmstate_register(VMSTATE_IF(drc), spapr_drc_index(drc), &vmstate_spapr_drc,
>>>                        drc);
>>>
>>> spapr_drc_index() is an unique identifier for these DRC devices and it's being used
>>> as instance_id. It is not clear to me how we can keep using this same instance_id when
>>> using the dc->vmsd alternative. By looking a bit into migration files I understood
>>> that if dc->vmsd is being used the instance_id is always autogenerated. Is that correct?
>>
>> Not entirely. It is the intended common setup, but because changing
>> the ID value breaks migration compatibility there is a mechanism
>> for saying "my device is special and needs to set the instance ID
>> to something else" -- qdev_set_legacy_instance_id().
>
> Yes, this is normally only an issue for 'system' or memory mapped
> devices;  for things hung off a bus that has it's own device naming,
> then each instance of a device has it's own device due to the bus name
> so instance_id's aren't used.  Where you've got a few of the
> same device with the same name, and no bus for them to be named by, then
> the instance_id is used to uniquify them.

(long reply inc)

So, qdev_set_legacy_instance_id() doesn't set 'instance_id' as I've expected but rather
'alias_id'. The function will set dev->instance_id_alias, which is then used in device_set_realized()
as follows:

         if (qdev_get_vmsd(dev)) {
             if (vmstate_register_with_alias_id(VMSTATE_IF(dev),
                                                VMSTATE_INSTANCE_ID_ANY,
                                                qdev_get_vmsd(dev), dev,
                                                dev->instance_id_alias,
                                                dev->alias_required_for_version,
                                                &local_err) < 0) {
                 goto post_realize_fail;
             }
         }

instance_id is set to VMSTATE_INSTANCE_ID_ANY, meaning that is  going to be autogenerated. The
SaveStateEntry (SE) will be generated with se->alias_id = (custom value we set) and
se->instance_id = autogenerated.

The migration stream transmits se->instance_id but not se->alias_id. When loading the migration
in the destination, find_se() will make a search using the received instance_id from the source
and compare it to both se->instance_id and se->alias_id from the destination.

If I try to convert an existing migratable device that is setting instance_id via vmstate_register()
to use qdev's dc->vmsd, if the existing code is already setting instance_id via vmstate_register(),
I end up breaking backward migration. This is what happened in patch
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2022-03/msg05617.html where I attempted this
conversion.

The code before the patch (B) has the following SEs for the device I changed:

===== spapr_iommu: se->instanceid = 0x80000000 se->alias_id = 0xffffffff ====
===== spapr_iommu: se->instanceid = 0x80000001 se->alias_id = 0xffffffff ====

And the code after the patch (A):

===== spapr_iommu: se->instanceid = 0x0 se->alias_id = 0x80000000 ====
===== spapr_iommu: se->instanceid = 0x1 se->alias_id = 0x80000001 ====

Migrating a pseries guest from B to A works because the new code, although using a different
instance_id, is matching with its alias_id. This is the output in A using the following trace:

     trace_qemu_loadvm_state_section_startfull(section_id, idstr, instance_id, version_id);

qemu_loadvm_state_section_startfull 15(vty@71000000/spapr_vty) 0 1
qemu_loadvm_state_section_startfull 16(nvram@71000001/spapr_nvram) 0 1
qemu_loadvm_state_section_startfull 560(spapr_iommu) 2147483648 2
qemu_loadvm_state_section_startfull 561(spapr_iommu) 2147483649 2
(...)

But the backward migration, A to B, doesn't work:

qemu_loadvm_state_section_startfull 560 (spapr_iommu) 0 2
qemu-system-ppc64: Unknown savevm section or instance 'spapr_iommu' 0. Make sure that your current
VM setup matches your saved VM setup, including any hotplugged devices
qemu-system-ppc64: load of migration failed: Invalid argument

The failure happens because the code without the patch is trying to match an instance_id = 0
(which A is now autogenerating) to its se->instance_id = 0x80000000 | se->alias = 0xffffffff.
The match fails and the error is thrown.

It seems that what I'm trying to do, convert vmstate_register() calls to qdev's dc->vmsd, when
the existing  code is setting custom instance_ids in vmstate_register(), is not feasible to be
done without breaking backward migration. At least with the current qdev APIs.
qdev_set_legacy_instance_id() helps to allow older guests to migrate to newer QEMUs, but not
the other way around.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks,

Daniel