* Support status of OpenBSD frontend drivers
@ 2022-03-24 13:56 Demi Marie Obenour
From: Demi Marie Obenour @ 2022-03-24 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xen developer discussion

As per private discussion with Theo de Raadt, OpenBSD does not consider
bugs in its xnf(4) that allow a backend to cause mischief to be security
issues.  I believe the same applies to its xbf(4).  Should the support
document be updated?
--
Sincerely,
Demi Marie Obenour (she/her/hers)

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Support status of OpenBSD frontend drivers
@ 2022-03-24 14:11 ` Roger Pau Monné
From: Roger Pau Monné @ 2022-03-24 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Demi Marie Obenour; +Cc: Xen developer discussion

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 09:56:29AM -0400, Demi Marie Obenour wrote:
> As per private discussion with Theo de Raadt, OpenBSD does not consider
> bugs in its xnf(4) that allow a backend to cause mischief to be security
> issues.  I believe the same applies to its xbf(4).  Should the support
> document be updated?

I think that's already reflected in the support document:

'Status, OpenBSD: Supported, Security support external'

Since the security support is external it's my understanding OpenBSD
security team gets to decide what's a security issue and what is not.

That however creates differences in the level of support offered by
the different OSes, but I think that's unavoidable. It's also hard to
track the status here because those are external components in
separate code bases.

Could be added as a mention together with the Windows note about
frontends trusting backends, but then I would fear this is likely to
get out of sync if OpenBSD ever changes their frontends to support
untrusted backends (even if not considered as a security issue).

Thanks, Roger.

* Re: Support status of OpenBSD frontend drivers
@ 2022-03-24 15:49   ` Demi Marie Obenour
From: Demi Marie Obenour @ 2022-03-24 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roger Pau Monné; +Cc: Xen developer discussion

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1920 bytes --]

On 3/24/22 10:11, Roger Pau Monné wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 09:56:29AM -0400, Demi Marie Obenour wrote:
>> As per private discussion with Theo de Raadt, OpenBSD does not consider
>> bugs in its xnf(4) that allow a backend to cause mischief to be security
>> issues.  I believe the same applies to its xbf(4).  Should the support
>> document be updated?
>
> I think that's already reflected in the support document:
>
> 'Status, OpenBSD: Supported, Security support external'
>
> Since the security support is external it's my understanding OpenBSD
> security team gets to decide what's a security issue and what is not.
>
> That however creates differences in the level of support offered by
> the different OSes, but I think that's unavoidable. It's also hard to
> track the status here because those are external components in
> separate code bases.
>
> Could be added as a mention together with the Windows note about
> frontends trusting backends, but then I would fear this is likely to
> get out of sync if OpenBSD ever changes their frontends to support
> untrusted backends (even if not considered as a security issue).

As a Qubes OS developer, I still think this is useful information and
should be documented.  For instance, if I choose to add proper OpenBSD
guest support to Qubes OS (as opposed to the current “you can run
anything in an HVM” situation), I might decide to have OpenBSD
guests use devices emulated by a Linux-based stubdomain, since the
stubdomain’s netfront and blkfront drivers *are* security-supported
against malicious backends.  I might also choose to have a warning in
the GUI when switching the NetVM of an OpenBSD guest to something other
than the empty string (meaning no network access) or the (normally
fairly trusted) sys-firewall or sys-whonix qubes.

--
Sincerely,
Demi Marie Obenour (she/her/hers)
Invisible Things Lab

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: OpenPGP public key --]

* Re: Support status of OpenBSD frontend drivers
@ 2022-03-24 22:21     ` Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
From: Marek Marczykowski-Górecki @ 2022-03-24 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Demi Marie Obenour; +Cc: Roger Pau Monné, Xen developer discussion

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 11:49:14AM -0400, Demi Marie Obenour wrote:
> On 3/24/22 10:11, Roger Pau Monné wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 09:56:29AM -0400, Demi Marie Obenour wrote:
> >> As per private discussion with Theo de Raadt, OpenBSD does not consider
> >> bugs in its xnf(4) that allow a backend to cause mischief to be security
> >> issues.  I believe the same applies to its xbf(4).  Should the support
> >> document be updated?
> >
> > I think that's already reflected in the support document:
> >
> > 'Status, OpenBSD: Supported, Security support external'
> >
> > Since the security support is external it's my understanding OpenBSD
> > security team gets to decide what's a security issue and what is not.
> >
> > That however creates differences in the level of support offered by
> > the different OSes, but I think that's unavoidable. It's also hard to
> > track the status here because those are external components in
> > separate code bases.
> >
> > Could be added as a mention together with the Windows note about
> > frontends trusting backends, but then I would fear this is likely to
> > get out of sync if OpenBSD ever changes their frontends to support
> > untrusted backends (even if not considered as a security issue).
>
> As a Qubes OS developer, I still think this is useful information and
> should be documented.  For instance, if I choose to add proper OpenBSD
> guest support to Qubes OS (as opposed to the current “you can run
> anything in an HVM” situation), I might decide to have OpenBSD
> guests use devices emulated by a Linux-based stubdomain, since the
> stubdomain’s netfront and blkfront drivers *are* security-supported
> against malicious backends.  I might also choose to have a warning in
> the GUI when switching the NetVM of an OpenBSD guest to something other
> than the empty string (meaning no network access) or the (normally
> fairly trusted) sys-firewall or sys-whonix qubes.

I'm with Roger on this - when security support is external, such
information in xen.git could easily become stale. If anything, there
could be a link to OpenBSD security status info, maintained by whoever
such support provides.

--
Best Regards,

@ 2022-03-25  1:10       ` Demi Marie Obenour
From: Demi Marie Obenour @ 2022-03-25  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
  Cc: Roger Pau Monné, Xen developer discussion

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 2489 bytes --]

This ought to be on https://man.openbsd.org/xnf.4 and
https://man.openbsd.org/xbf.4, but it is not.  Should I send a patch?
--

@ 2022-03-25  9:00         ` Roger Pau Monné
From: Roger Pau Monné @ 2022-03-25  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Demi Marie Obenour
  Cc: Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, Xen developer discussion

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 09:10:57PM -0400, Demi Marie Obenour wrote:
> On 3/24/22 18:21, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:

> >> As a Qubes OS developer, I still think this is useful information and
> >> should be documented.  For instance, if I choose to add proper OpenBSD
> >> guest support to Qubes OS (as opposed to the current “you can run
> >> anything in an HVM” situation), I might decide to have OpenBSD
> >> guests use devices emulated by a Linux-based stubdomain, since the
> >> stubdomain’s netfront and blkfront drivers *are* security-supported
> >> against malicious backends.  I might also choose to have a warning in
> >> the GUI when switching the NetVM of an OpenBSD guest to something other
> >> than the empty string (meaning no network access) or the (normally
> >> fairly trusted) sys-firewall or sys-whonix qubes.
> >
> > I'm with Roger on this - when security support is external, such
> > information in xen.git could easily become stale. If anything, there
> > could be a link to OpenBSD security status info, maintained by whoever
> > such support provides.
>
> This ought to be on https://man.openbsd.org/xnf.4 and
> https://man.openbsd.org/xbf.4, but it is not.  Should I send a patch?

You should discuss with the OpenBSD people I think, I really have no
idea where those limitations should be listed. Introducing a man page
'Caveats' or 'Limitations' sections would seem suitable to me, but
it's ultimately up to them.

Thanks, Roger.