* Pathological performance with git remote rename and many tracking refs
@ 2022-04-13 22:32 brian m. carlson
From: brian m. carlson @ 2022-04-13 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

In my day-to-day work, I have the occasion to use GitHub Codespaces on a
repository with about 20,000 refs on the server.  The environment is set
up to pre-clone the repository, but I use a different default remote
name than "origin" ("def", to be particular), and thus, one of the things
I do when I set up that environment is to run "git remote rename origin
def".

This process takes 35 minutes, which is extremely pathological.  I
believe what's happening is that all of the refs are packed, and
renaming the ref causes a loose ref to be created and the old ref to be
deleted (necessitating a rewrite of the packed-refs file).  This is
essentially O(N^2) in the order of refs.

We recently added a --progress option, but I think this performance is
bad enough that that's not going to suffice here, and we should try to
do better.

I found that using "git for-each-ref" and "git update-ref --stdin" in a
pipeline to create and delete the refs as a single transaction takes a
little over 2 seconds.  This is greater than a 99.9% improvement and is
much more along the line of what I'd expect.

I thought about porting this code to use a ref transaction, but I
realized that we don't rename reflogs in that situation, which might be
a problem for some people.  In my case, since it's a freshly cloned repo
and the reflogs aren't interesting, I don't care.

I think a possible way forward may be to either teach ref transactions
about ref renames, or simply to add a --no-reflogs option, which omits
the reflogs in case the user doesn't care.  I'm interested to hear ideas
from others, though, about the best way forward.
--
brian m. carlson (he/him or they/them)
Toronto, Ontario, CA