* wl18xx: NVS file handling
@ 2022-04-20 13:57 Yegor Yefremov
From: Yegor Yefremov @ 2022-04-20 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux-OMAP; +Cc: linux-wireless, Tony Lindgren, sebastian.reichel

Hi all,

using the 5.18.x kernel, I get the following warning:

wlcore: WARNING Detected unconfigured mac address in nvs, derive from
fuse instead.
wlcore: WARNING This default nvs file can be removed from the file system

removing the /lib/firmware/ti-connectivity/wl127x-nvs.bin file, I get
this warning:

wl18xx_driver wl18xx.0.auto: Direct firmware load for
ti-connectivity/wl1271-nvs.bin failed with error -2

What's the best way to get rid of these warnings when I don't want to
handle WLAN's MAC address via the wl127x-nvs.bin?

According to this discussion [1], NVS file is the last resort for
handling the MAC address.

[1] https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-wireless/patch/8665E2433BC68541A24DFFCA87B70F5B363E1A3D@DFRE01.ent.ti.com/

Regards,
Yegor

* Re: wl18xx: NVS file handling
@ 2022-04-21  5:19 ` Tony Lindgren
From: Tony Lindgren @ 2022-04-21  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yegor Yefremov; +Cc: Linux-OMAP, linux-wireless, sebastian.reichel, Eyal Reizer

Hi,

* Yegor Yefremov <yegorslists@googlemail.com> [220420 13:58]:
> Hi all,
>
> using the 5.18.x kernel, I get the following warning:
>
> wlcore: WARNING Detected unconfigured mac address in nvs, derive from
> fuse instead.
> wlcore: WARNING This default nvs file can be removed from the file system
>
> removing the /lib/firmware/ti-connectivity/wl127x-nvs.bin file, I get
> this warning:
>
> wl18xx_driver wl18xx.0.auto: Direct firmware load for
> ti-connectivity/wl1271-nvs.bin failed with error -2
>
> What's the best way to get rid of these warnings when I don't want to
> handle WLAN's MAC address via the wl127x-nvs.bin?

See commit d382b9c00782 ("wlcore: add missing nvs file name info for
wilink8"), to me looks like the the second warning should be just removed
for wl18xx.

> According to this discussion [1], NVS file is the last resort for
> handling the MAC address.
>
> [1] https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-wireless/patch/8665E2433BC68541A24DFFCA87B70F5B363E1A3D@DFRE01.ent.ti.com/

Yes the NVS file does not work at all for NFSroot for multiple devices.

To me it seems we should have the option for the MAC address to be
populated by the bootloader for the devicetree property like Ethernet
adapters typically do. Not sure what that might take, maybe it
already works. I guess the first step would be to make the nvs file
completely optional for wlcore.

Regards,

Tony

* Re: wl18xx: NVS file handling
@ 2022-04-21  9:01   ` Yegor Yefremov
From: Yegor Yefremov @ 2022-04-21  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tony Lindgren; +Cc: Linux-OMAP, linux-wireless, sebastian.reichel, Eyal Reizer

Hi Tony,

On Thu, Apr 21, 2022 at 7:19 AM Tony Lindgren <tony@atomide.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> * Yegor Yefremov <yegorslists@googlemail.com> [220420 13:58]:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > using the 5.18.x kernel, I get the following warning:
> >
> > wlcore: WARNING Detected unconfigured mac address in nvs, derive from
> > fuse instead.
> > wlcore: WARNING This default nvs file can be removed from the file system
> >
> > removing the /lib/firmware/ti-connectivity/wl127x-nvs.bin file, I get
> > this warning:
> >
> > wl18xx_driver wl18xx.0.auto: Direct firmware load for
> > ti-connectivity/wl1271-nvs.bin failed with error -2
> >
> > What's the best way to get rid of these warnings when I don't want to
> > handle WLAN's MAC address via the wl127x-nvs.bin?
>
> See commit d382b9c00782 ("wlcore: add missing nvs file name info for
> wilink8"), to me looks like the the second warning should be just removed
> for wl18xx.
>
> > According to this discussion [1], NVS file is the last resort for
> > handling the MAC address.
> >
> > [1] https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-wireless/patch/8665E2433BC68541A24DFFCA87B70F5B363E1A3D@DFRE01.ent.ti.com/
>
> Yes the NVS file does not work at all for NFSroot for multiple devices.
>
> To me it seems we should have the option for the MAC address to be
> populated by the bootloader for the devicetree property like Ethernet
> adapters typically do. Not sure what that might take, maybe it
> already works. I guess the first step would be to make the nvs file
> completely optional for wlcore.

I'll try to create a patch for making nvs file optional.

P.S. a TI maintainer for wlcore would be great .... WPA3 and mesh are
still not really there [1].

[1] https://software-dl.ti.com/ecs/WiLink8/R8_8/change_log_R8_8.html

Regards,
Yegor

* Re: wl18xx: NVS file handling
@ 2022-04-22 10:43     ` Yegor Yefremov
From: Yegor Yefremov @ 2022-04-22 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tony Lindgren; +Cc: Linux-OMAP, linux-wireless, sebastian.reichel

Hi Tony,

On Thu, Apr 21, 2022 at 11:01 AM Yegor Yefremov
<yegorslists@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi Tony,
>
> On Thu, Apr 21, 2022 at 7:19 AM Tony Lindgren <tony@atomide.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > * Yegor Yefremov <yegorslists@googlemail.com> [220420 13:58]:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > using the 5.18.x kernel, I get the following warning:
> > >
> > > wlcore: WARNING Detected unconfigured mac address in nvs, derive from
> > > fuse instead.
> > > wlcore: WARNING This default nvs file can be removed from the file system
> > >
> > > removing the /lib/firmware/ti-connectivity/wl127x-nvs.bin file, I get
> > > this warning:
> > >
> > > wl18xx_driver wl18xx.0.auto: Direct firmware load for
> > > ti-connectivity/wl1271-nvs.bin failed with error -2
> > >
> > > What's the best way to get rid of these warnings when I don't want to
> > > handle WLAN's MAC address via the wl127x-nvs.bin?
> >
> > See commit d382b9c00782 ("wlcore: add missing nvs file name info for
> > wilink8"), to me looks like the the second warning should be just removed
> > for wl18xx.
> >
> > > According to this discussion [1], NVS file is the last resort for
> > > handling the MAC address.
> > >
> > > [1] https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-wireless/patch/8665E2433BC68541A24DFFCA87B70F5B363E1A3D@DFRE01.ent.ti.com/
> >
> > Yes the NVS file does not work at all for NFSroot for multiple devices.
> >
> > To me it seems we should have the option for the MAC address to be
> > populated by the bootloader for the devicetree property like Ethernet
> > adapters typically do. Not sure what that might take, maybe it
> > already works. I guess the first step would be to make the nvs file
> > completely optional for wlcore.
>
> I'll try to create a patch for making nvs file optional.
>
> P.S. a TI maintainer for wlcore would be great .... WPA3 and mesh are
> still not really there [1].
>
> [1] https://software-dl.ti.com/ecs/WiLink8/R8_8/change_log_R8_8.html

Wouldn't we need this functionality [1] to make the NVS fw file optional? :-(

[1] https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-dmaengine/patch/20181112160143.4459-1-l.stach@pengutronix.de/

Regards,
Yegor

* Re: wl18xx: NVS file handling
@ 2022-04-22 12:08       ` Tony Lindgren
From: Tony Lindgren @ 2022-04-22 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yegor Yefremov; +Cc: Linux-OMAP, linux-wireless, sebastian.reichel

* Yegor Yefremov <yegorslists@googlemail.com> [220422 10:40]:
> Wouldn't we need this functionality [1] to make the NVS fw file optional? :-(
>
> [1] https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-dmaengine/patch/20181112160143.4459-1-l.stach@pengutronix.de/

Hmm yeah, how about if we use just an empty nvs file for no warnings then?

Regards,

Tony

* Re: wl18xx: NVS file handling
@ 2022-04-22 12:34         ` Yegor Yefremov
From: Yegor Yefremov @ 2022-04-22 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tony Lindgren; +Cc: Linux-OMAP, linux-wireless, sebastian.reichel

On Fri, Apr 22, 2022 at 2:08 PM Tony Lindgren <tony@atomide.com> wrote:

> * Yegor Yefremov <yegorslists@googlemail.com> [220422 10:40]:
> > Wouldn't we need this functionality [1] to make the NVS fw file optional? :-(
> >
> > [1] https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-dmaengine/patch/20181112160143.4459-1-l.stach@pengutronix.de/
>
> Hmm yeah, how about if we use just an empty nvs file for no warnings then?

touch /lib/firmware/ti-connectivity/wl1271-nvs.bin

wl18xx_driver wl18xx.0.auto: loading
/lib/firmware/ti-connectivity/wl1271-nvs.bin failed with error -22

@ 2022-04-23  6:16         ` Kalle Valo
From: Kalle Valo @ 2022-04-23  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tony Lindgren
  Cc: Yegor Yefremov, Linux-OMAP, linux-wireless, sebastian.reichel

Tony Lindgren <tony@atomide.com> writes:

> * Yegor Yefremov <yegorslists@googlemail.com> [220422 10:40]:
>> Wouldn't we need this functionality [1] to make the NVS fw file optional? :-(
>>
>> [1] https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-dmaengine/patch/20181112160143.4459-1-l.stach@pengutronix.de/
>
> Hmm yeah, how about if we use just an empty nvs file for no warnings then?

What's wrong with firmware_request_nowarn()?

--
https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-wireless/list/

https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/developers/documentation/submittingpatches

* Re: wl18xx: NVS file handling
@ 2022-04-25  6:43           ` Yegor Yefremov
From: Yegor Yefremov @ 2022-04-25  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kalle Valo; +Cc: Tony Lindgren, Linux-OMAP, linux-wireless, sebastian.reichel

Hi Kalle,

On Sat, Apr 23, 2022 at 8:16 AM Kalle Valo <kvalo@kernel.org> wrote:

> Tony Lindgren <tony@atomide.com> writes:
>
> > * Yegor Yefremov <yegorslists@googlemail.com> [220422 10:40]:
> >> Wouldn't we need this functionality [1] to make the NVS fw file optional? :-(
> >>
> >> [1] https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-dmaengine/patch/20181112160143.4459-1-l.stach@pengutronix.de/
> >
> > Hmm yeah, how about if we use just an empty nvs file for no warnings then?
>
> What's wrong with firmware_request_nowarn()?

The driver uses asynchronous semantics for NVS loading. Hence, I
didn't want to change this.

Regards,
Yegor