* [ANNOUNCE] xfs: for-next tree updated to efd409a4329f6927795be5ae080cd3ec8c014f49
@ 2022-05-12  6:03 Dave Chinner
From: Dave Chinner @ 2022-05-12  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-xfs

Hi folks,

I've just pushed out a new for-next branch for XFS. You can find it
here:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/fs/xfs/xfs-linux.git for-next

This update contains the new Logged Attribute Replay functionality
that Allison has been toiling over for a very long time. She has
completely restructured how the attribute code works to lay the
ground work for functionality that require attributes to be
manipulated as part of complex atomic operations. This update
includes that functionality as a new experimental feature which can
be turned on via sysfs knob.

Great work, Allison, and thank you for all your hard work and help
during this merge window so we could get to this point!

The other functionality in the merge is the removal of all the quota
warning infrastructure. The has never been used on Linux and really
has no way of being used, so these changes clean up and remove the
remaining pieces we never will use.

At this point in the cycle (almost at -rc7) I'm not going to merge
any more new functionality. I'm planning to spend the next week:

- more thoroughly testing a wider range of configurations
- recoveryloop soak testing
- fixing up all the tests that now fail due to changes merged during
  the cycle
- addressing any regressions and failures that I find
- preparing for an early pull request during the merge window

I know of one failure that still needs to be analysed when LARP is
enabled - the new recovery test fails on 1kB block size filesystems
here. Otherwise, I did not see any unexpected failures during
overnight testing on default configs, rmapbt=1, all quotas enabled,
1kB block size or V4 only testing.

I would appreciate it if everyone could spend some cycles over the
next week running tests against this for-next branch. we've merged a
*lot* of new code this cycle so any extra test coverage we can get
at this time will help ensure we find regressions sooner rather than
later.

If I've missed anything that I should have picked up for this cycle,
please let me know ASAP so we can determine an appropriate merge
plan for it.

Cheers,

Dave.

The following changes since commit 86810a9ebd9e69498524c57a83f1271ade56ded8:

  Merge branch 'guilt/xfs-5.19-fuzz-fixes' into xfs-5.19-for-next (2022-05-04 12:38:02 +1000)

are available in the Git repository at:

  git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/fs/xfs/xfs-linux.git for-next

for you to fetch changes up to efd409a4329f6927795be5ae080cd3ec8c014f49:

Head Commit:

efd409a4329f Merge branch 'xfs-5.19-quota-warn-remove' into xfs-5.19-for-next

Allison Henderson (14):
      xfs: Fix double unlock in defer capture code
      xfs: Return from xfs_attr_set_iter if there are no more rmtblks to process
      xfs: Set up infrastructure for log attribute replay
      xfs: Implement attr logging and replay
      xfs: Skip flip flags for delayed attrs
      xfs: Add xfs_attr_set_deferred and xfs_attr_remove_deferred
      xfs: Remove unused xfs_attr_*_args
      xfs: Add log attribute error tag
      xfs: Add larp debug option
      xfs: Merge xfs_delattr_context into xfs_attr_item
      xfs: Add helper function xfs_attr_leaf_addname
      xfs: Add helper function xfs_init_attr_trans
      xfs: add leaf split error tag
      xfs: add leaf to node error tag

Catherine Hoang (3):
      xfs: remove quota warning limit from struct xfs_quota_limits
      xfs: remove warning counters from struct xfs_dquot_res
      xfs: don't set quota warning values

Dave Chinner (20):
      xfs: avoid empty xattr transaction when attrs are inline
      xfs: initialise attrd item to zero
      xfs: make xattri_leaf_bp more useful
      xfs: rework deferred attribute operation setup
      xfs: separate out initial attr_set states
      xfs: kill XFS_DAC_LEAF_ADDNAME_INIT
      xfs: consolidate leaf/node states in xfs_attr_set_iter
      xfs: split remote attr setting out from replace path
      xfs: XFS_DAS_LEAF_REPLACE state only needed if !LARP
      xfs: remote xattr removal in xfs_attr_set_iter() is conditional
      xfs: clean up final attr removal in xfs_attr_set_iter
      xfs: xfs_attr_set_iter() does not need to return EAGAIN
      xfs: introduce attr remove initial states into xfs_attr_set_iter
      xfs: switch attr remove to xfs_attri_set_iter
      xfs: remove xfs_attri_remove_iter
      xfs: use XFS_DA_OP flags in deferred attr ops
      xfs: ATTR_REPLACE algorithm with LARP enabled needs rework
      xfs: detect empty attr leaf blocks in xfs_attr3_leaf_verify
      xfs: can't use kmem_zalloc() for attribute buffers
      Merge branch 'xfs-5.19-quota-warn-remove' into xfs-5.19-for-next

 fs/xfs/Makefile                 |    1 +
 fs/xfs/libxfs/xfs_attr.c        | 1641 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++------------------------------------------------
 fs/xfs/libxfs/xfs_attr.h        |  198 ++++++++++--
 fs/xfs/libxfs/xfs_attr_leaf.c   |   64 +++-
 fs/xfs/libxfs/xfs_attr_remote.c |   37 +--
 fs/xfs/libxfs/xfs_attr_remote.h |    6 +-
 fs/xfs/libxfs/xfs_da_btree.c    |    4 +
 fs/xfs/libxfs/xfs_da_btree.h    |   10 +-
 fs/xfs/libxfs/xfs_defer.c       |   24 +-
 fs/xfs/libxfs/xfs_defer.h       |    3 +
 fs/xfs/libxfs/xfs_errortag.h    |    8 +-
 fs/xfs/libxfs/xfs_format.h      |    9 +-
 fs/xfs/libxfs/xfs_log_format.h  |   45 ++-
 fs/xfs/libxfs/xfs_log_recover.h |    2 +
 fs/xfs/libxfs/xfs_quota_defs.h  |    1 -
 fs/xfs/scrub/common.c           |    2 +
 fs/xfs/xfs_acl.c                |    4 +-
 fs/xfs/xfs_attr_item.c          |  824 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 fs/xfs/xfs_attr_item.h          |   46 +++
 fs/xfs/xfs_attr_list.c          |    1 +
 fs/xfs/xfs_dquot.c              |   15 +-
 fs/xfs/xfs_dquot.h              |    8 -
 fs/xfs/xfs_error.c              |    9 +
 fs/xfs/xfs_globals.c            |    1 +
 fs/xfs/xfs_ioctl.c              |    4 +-
 fs/xfs/xfs_ioctl32.c            |    2 +
 fs/xfs/xfs_iops.c               |    2 +
 fs/xfs/xfs_log.c                |   41 +++
 fs/xfs/xfs_log.h                |    1 +
 fs/xfs/xfs_log_cil.c            |   35 +-
 fs/xfs/xfs_log_priv.h           |   34 ++
 fs/xfs/xfs_log_recover.c        |    2 +
 fs/xfs/xfs_ondisk.h             |    2 +
 fs/xfs/xfs_qm.c                 |    9 -
 fs/xfs/xfs_qm.h                 |    5 -
 fs/xfs/xfs_qm_syscalls.c        |   26 +-
 fs/xfs/xfs_quotaops.c           |    8 +-
 fs/xfs/xfs_sysctl.h             |    1 +
 fs/xfs/xfs_sysfs.c              |   24 ++
 fs/xfs/xfs_trace.h              |   32 +-
 fs/xfs/xfs_trans_dquot.c        |    3 +-
 fs/xfs/xfs_xattr.c              |    2 +-
 create mode 100644 fs/xfs/xfs_attr_item.c
 create mode 100644 fs/xfs/xfs_attr_item.h

--
Dave Chinner
david@fromorbit.com

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] xfs: for-next tree updated to efd409a4329f6927795be5ae080cd3ec8c014f49
@ 2022-05-13 22:54 ` Darrick J. Wong
From: Darrick J. Wong @ 2022-05-13 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Chinner; +Cc: linux-xfs

On Thu, May 12, 2022 at 04:03:02PM +1000, Dave Chinner wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've just pushed out a new for-next branch for XFS. You can find it
> here:
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/fs/xfs/xfs-linux.git for-next
>
> This update contains the new Logged Attribute Replay functionality
> that Allison has been toiling over for a very long time. She has
> completely restructured how the attribute code works to lay the
> ground work for functionality that require attributes to be
> manipulated as part of complex atomic operations. This update
> includes that functionality as a new experimental feature which can
> be turned on via sysfs knob.
>
> Great work, Allison, and thank you for all your hard work and help
> during this merge window so we could get to this point!

Yay!!

I ran this on the fstests cloud overnight, and I noticed complaints from
xfs/434 that we're leaking xfs_da_state objects.  I turned on kmemleak
checking, which pointed out that the removexattr code path seems to be
attaching a da state to the xfs_attr_item structure and never freeing
it.  I don't know if the delayed attrs state machine actually needs that
state as it runs through the remove states, but my dumb solution is to
free xfs_attr_item.xattri_da_state (if it's still attached) right before
we free the xfs_attr_item.

I also noticed that the attri recovery code doesn't reject unknown bits
in the alfi_op_flags and alfi_attr_flags fields, so I added a couple of
fixpatches to abort log recovery if either of those fields have bits set
that we don't recognize.

While I was poking around in there, I also found a few things that
should probably get cleaned up, such as the alfi_op_flags shouldn't be
in the XFS_ATTR_* namespace since higher level xattr code already uses
it.

Question: the alfi_attr_flags are really just the attr_filter flags from
the da_state structure, right?  I renamed the field and gave the flags
their own XFS_XATTRI_FILTER_* namespace.

Moving along, I noticed that we weren't creating a separate slab cache
for xfs_attr_item intent items, like we (now) do for the other deferred
work items, so I modified the runtime paths to use a slab cache (the
mega-item created by recovery gets left alone) and rearranged the struct
to reduce its size from 96 to 88 bytes.  Now we can cram 46 items into a
memory page instead of 32!

Also, I moved the attri and attrd log item cache initialization to
xfs_super.c to go with all the other log intent item cache
initializations, and renamed xfs_attr_item to xfs_attr_intent because
all the other high level deferred work state structures have type names
that end in _intent.

> The other functionality in the merge is the removal of all the quota
> warning infrastructure. The has never been used on Linux and really
> has no way of being used, so these changes clean up and remove the
> remaining pieces we never will use.

AFAICT the only tests changes that were needed are to silence the EINVAL
returns when we try to set the quota warning counters in xfs/050,
xfs/153, and xfs/299.  Does that square with everyone else's
experiences?

> At this point in the cycle (almost at -rc7) I'm not going to merge
> any more new functionality. I'm planning to spend the next week:
>
> - more thoroughly testing a wider range of configurations
> - recoveryloop soak testing
> - fixing up all the tests that now fail due to changes merged during
>   the cycle
> - addressing any regressions and failures that I find

I finally diagnosed the regressions I was seeing in xfs/314 and xfs/313
on aarch64 all throughout 5.18.  Matthew Wilcox turned on multipage
folios for 5.18-rc1, which (as we talked about late last night on IRC)
now has some bad interactions with writeback failures.  TLDR: if we
create a gigantic folio, dirty it, and writeback fails on even a single
sector, we'll toss the *entire* folio, even if that's hundreds of KB.

In my triage, I observed that aarch64 will create 256k folios to cache a
file that has alternating 64k sections of holes and shared blocks.  For
the file under test in xfs/314, 512k-576k is shared, 576k-640k is a
hole, 640k-704k is shared, etc.  The program dirties 640k-1280k (which
marks the folio covering 512-768k dirty), sets an error injection point
on an rmap update, and fsyncs to initiate writeback.

Writeback seems to issue writes for the first 128K of the folio ok.  I
suspect that it's overwriting the extent mapped to 512k-576k with the
same contents, which is sorta dorky since it's unnecessary.  Next it
writes 576k-640k, which requires allocating a delalloc region, which
causes the fs to go down as soon as it issues the rmap update for the
new allocation.  This causes the fs to go down, so iomap tries to call
xfs_discard_folio to abort the writeback.  That in turn calls
iomap_invalidate_folio, which sees that it's dealing with a multipage
folio and invalidates the whole thing.

While writeback is still ongoing!

This I think is the root cause of the debug assertions tripping during
ioend completion -- writeback tore down the iop, and now ioend can't
find it and doesn't know what to do.  The folio invalidation makes
things worse, since now umount will trip over the partially uptodate
folios if they're still there at unmount time.

Sooo ... willy (I hope) is soon to become the pagecache maintainer and
clearly disagrees[1] with the current XFS behavior of invalidating and
clearing uptodate on a folio on write error.  I /think/ we can finally
let go of this quirk of ours and make XFS behave just like any other
Linux filesystem, since (AFAICT) there isn't any downside to leaving the
folio uptodate and !dirty.

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/linux-xfs/Yg04X73lr5YK5kwH@casper.infradead.org/

If the program notices the EIO and redirties the file we go through the
same write paths as we did before; and if the program doesn't care, the
cached contents will remain in RAM until the folio is evicted or someone
dirties it again.  It's true that if nobody redirties the page then the
contents will be lost at some point, but that's already true.

I'm testing a patch that removes the part of iomap that clears uptodate
and the part of xfs that invalidates the folio.  We'll see how that
goes.

> - preparing for an early pull request during the merge window
>
> I know of one failure that still needs to be analysed when LARP is
> enabled - the new recovery test fails on 1kB block size filesystems
> here. Otherwise, I did not see any unexpected failures during
> overnight testing on default configs, rmapbt=1, all quotas enabled,
> 1kB block size or V4 only testing.

Hmm.  I don't test recoveryloop on 1k block filesystems, I guess I
should... :P  Aside from the handful of issues I laid out in this reply,
everything *else* seems pretty solid.  I haven't tried larp mode or
nrext64=1 mode yet though.

> I would appreciate it if everyone could spend some cycles over the
> next week running tests against this for-next branch. we've merged a
> *lot* of new code this cycle so any extra test coverage we can get
> at this time will help ensure we find regressions sooner rather than
> later.
>
> If I've missed anything that I should have picked up for this cycle,
> please let me know ASAP so we can determine an appropriate merge
> plan for it.

I've just sent my cleanup patches to the fstests cloud so you should
have it Sunday(ish).

--D

@ 2022-05-15 19:41   ` Darrick J. Wong
From: Darrick J. Wong @ 2022-05-15 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Chinner; +Cc: linux-xfs

On Fri, May 13, 2022 at 03:54:23PM -0700, Darrick J. Wong wrote:
> [...]
> contents will be lost at some point, but that's already true.
>
> I'm testing a patch that removes the part of iomap that clears uptodate
> and the part of xfs that invalidates the folio.  We'll see how that
> goes.
>
> > - preparing for an early pull request during the merge window
> >
> > I know of one failure that still needs to be analysed when LARP is
> > enabled - the new recovery test fails on 1kB block size filesystems
> > here. Otherwise, I did not see any unexpected failures during
> > overnight testing on default configs, rmapbt=1, all quotas enabled,
> > 1kB block size or V4 only testing.
>
> Hmm.  I don't test recoveryloop on 1k block filesystems, I guess I
> should... :P  Aside from the handful of issues I laid out in this reply,
> everything *else* seems pretty solid.  I haven't tried larp mode or

I turned on LARP mode Friday night and found a second da state leak and
a kernel crash when relogging an xattri log item.

The da state leak happens under a setxattr call to replace an attr.  I
think what's going on is that _attr_set_iter finds the old name and
removes it without freeing the da state structure.  Once we roll to
NODE_ADD state, we call xfs_attr_node_addname_find_attr to (re)compute
the location of the new attr in the node-format structure without
freeing the old da state structure, so that just leaks.

The crash seems to be happening when we have a long chain of xattr work
racing with another thread making changes elsewhere and flushing the
log.  At the start of the delayed attr work, we log an xattri log item,
with the caller's name and value buffers attached.  When the CIL
commits, we use those buffers to format the log item, and ->iop_commit
sets the pointers to NULL.  At this point the other thread(s) manage to
write to and flush the log enough times that we end up in a new
checkpoint.  Seeing this, the deferred work manager makes the xattr
writer relog the xattri log item.  The _relog method tries to memcpy the
name and value into a new buffer, but crashes because we already nulled
out the pointers, and kaboom.

I'm not sure how to fix that -- if nobody flushes the log, the attri
items can stick around in memory until the CIL is being committed,
right?  But that could be long after the original writer thread has
returned to userspace, which means that (a) we can't just not drop the
name/value buffer pointers from the xattr_log_item structure at commit
time so that relog works, and (b) I think implies UAF bugs during log
item formatting, perhaps?

<shrug> It's still the weekend here, so that's just my idul
speculations.  I'm running the fixpatches through fstests one more time
before I start sending them to the list.

--D

@ 2022-05-15 22:20     ` Dave Chinner
From: Dave Chinner @ 2022-05-15 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Darrick J. Wong; +Cc: linux-xfs

On Sun, May 15, 2022 at 12:41:21PM -0700, Darrick J. Wong wrote:
> On Fri, May 13, 2022 at 03:54:23PM -0700, Darrick J. Wong wrote:
> > On Thu, May 12, 2022 at 04:03:02PM +1000, Dave Chinner wrote:
> > > Hi folks,
> > >
> > > I've just pushed out a new for-next branch for XFS. You can find it
> > > here:
> > >
> > > git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/fs/xfs/xfs-linux.git for-next
> > >
> > > This update contains the new Logged Attribute Replay functionality
> > > that Allison has been toiling over for a very long time. She has
> > > completely restructured how the attribute code works to lay the
> > > ground work for functionality that require attributes to be
> > > manipulated as part of complex atomic operations. This update
> > > includes that functionality as a new experimental feature which can
> > > be turned on via sysfs knob.
> > >
> > > Great work, Allison, and thank you for all your hard work and help
> > > during this merge window so we could get to this point!
> >
> > Yay!!
> >
> > I ran this on the fstests cloud overnight, and I noticed complaints from
> > xfs/434 that we're leaking xfs_da_state objects.  I turned on kmemleak
> > checking, which pointed out that the removexattr code path seems to be
> > attaching a da state to the xfs_attr_item structure and never freeing
> > it.

Yes, I suspected that there were issues here from combining the two
paths - the fill/refill state sidelining changes the way dastate
paths were used for the removexattr path, and the original set-iter
path used da_state structures fundamentally differently to the
remove_iter path. So I'm not surprised that there's a leak somewhere
in there - KASAN/kmemleak testing was somethign I planned for this
week, but you've beaten me to turning it on....

> > I don't know if the delayed attrs state machine actually needs that
> > state as it runs through the remove states, but my dumb solution is to
> > free xfs_attr_item.xattri_da_state (if it's still attached) right before
> > we free the xfs_attr_item.

Yeah, I think it used to be freed at the equivalent of XFS_DAS_DONE
before the integration, so this isn't unreasonable.
`
> > I also noticed that the attri recovery code doesn't reject unknown bits
> > in the alfi_op_flags and alfi_attr_flags fields, so I added a couple of
> > fixpatches to abort log recovery if either of those fields have bits set
> > that we don't recognize.

*nod*

> > While I was poking around in there, I also found a few things that
> > should probably get cleaned up, such as the alfi_op_flags shouldn't be
> > in the XFS_ATTR_* namespace since higher level xattr code already uses
> > it.

Oh, you mean the name needs changing, not that there's something
wrong with the code?

> > Question: the alfi_attr_flags are really just the attr_filter flags from
> > the da_state structure, right?  I renamed the field and gave the flags
> > their own XFS_XATTRI_FILTER_* namespace.

I don't think that's correct. The filter flags contain the on-disk
namespace for the attribute we are operating on (XFS_ATTR_ROOT,
XFS_ATTR_SECURE, XFS_ATTR_PARENT, etc). It also contains the LOCAL
and INCOMPLETE flags, too, which aren't namespace bits but indicate
on-disk state of the xattr.

IOWs, they are already well known on-disk flags, and I don't think
adding a separate namespace for it improves anything - it's
confusing enough trying to work out how the INCOMPLETE flag
interacts with XFS_ATTR_NSP_ONDISK_MASK and attr_filter without
adding a whole new set of names for the same on-disk namespace
flags...

> > Moving along, I noticed that we weren't creating a separate slab cache
> > for xfs_attr_item intent items, like we (now) do for the other deferred
> > work items, so I modified the runtime paths to use a slab cache (the
> > mega-item created by recovery gets left alone) and rearranged the struct
> > to reduce its size from 96 to 88 bytes.  Now we can cram 46 items into a
> > memory page instead of 32!

Nice cleanup!

> > Also, I moved the attri and attrd log item cache initialization to
> > xfs_super.c to go with all the other log intent item cache
> > initializations, and renamed xfs_attr_item to xfs_attr_intent because
> > all the other high level deferred work state structures have type names
> > that end in _intent.

Ok. I've got "clean up subsystem init" in my notes here, sounds like
you've already done that. :)

> > > The other functionality in the merge is the removal of all the quota
> > > warning infrastructure. The has never been used on Linux and really
> > > has no way of being used, so these changes clean up and remove the
> > > remaining pieces we never will use.
> >
> > AFAICT the only tests changes that were needed are to silence the EINVAL
> > returns when we try to set the quota warning counters in xfs/050,
> > xfs/153, and xfs/299.  Does that square with everyone else's
> > experiences?

Yeah, I think those are the only three. I'll run those patches
today.

> > > At this point in the cycle (almost at -rc7) I'm not going to merge
> > > any more new functionality. I'm planning to spend the next week:
> > >
> > > - more thoroughly testing a wider range of configurations
> > > - recoveryloop soak testing
> > > - fixing up all the tests that now fail due to changes merged during
> > >   the cycle
> > > - addressing any regressions and failures that I find
> >
> > I finally diagnosed the regressions I was seeing in xfs/314 and xfs/313
> > on aarch64 all throughout 5.18.

Yay!

> > Sooo ... willy (I hope) is soon to become the pagecache maintainer and
> > clearly disagrees[1] with the current XFS behavior of invalidating and
> > clearing uptodate on a folio on write error.  I /think/ we can finally
> > let go of this quirk of ours and make XFS behave just like any other
> > Linux filesystem, since (AFAICT) there isn't any downside to leaving the
> > folio uptodate and !dirty.

Sure, seems like the right time to make things more consistent with
the rest of the filesystem writeback path behaviours....

> > [1] https://lore.kernel.org/linux-xfs/Yg04X73lr5YK5kwH@casper.infradead.org/
> >
> > If the program notices the EIO and redirties the file we go through the
> > same write paths as we did before; and if the program doesn't care, the
> > cached contents will remain in RAM until the folio is evicted or someone
> > dirties it again.  It's true that if nobody redirties the page then the
> > contents will be lost at some point, but that's already true.
> >
> > I'm testing a patch that removes the part of iomap that clears uptodate
> > and the part of xfs that invalidates the folio.  We'll see how that
> > goes.

What happens to the delalloc extent backing the file offset the
failed folio covers?

> > > - preparing for an early pull request during the merge window
> > >
> > > I know of one failure that still needs to be analysed when LARP is
> > > enabled - the new recovery test fails on 1kB block size filesystems
> > > here. Otherwise, I did not see any unexpected failures during
> > > overnight testing on default configs, rmapbt=1, all quotas enabled,
> > > 1kB block size or V4 only testing.
> >
> > Hmm.  I don't test recoveryloop on 1k block filesystems, I guess I
> > should... :P  Aside from the handful of issues I laid out in this reply,
> > everything *else* seems pretty solid.  I haven't tried larp mode or
> > nrext64=1 mode yet though.
>
> I turned on LARP mode Friday night and found a second da state leak and
> a kernel crash when relogging an xattri log item.
>
> The da state leak happens under a setxattr call to replace an attr.  I
> think what's going on is that _attr_set_iter finds the old name and
> removes it without freeing the da state structure.

Yeah, that'll probably be the same leak as the removexattr you've
already seen, as replace recovery starts with a remove...

> Once we roll to
> NODE_ADD state, we call xfs_attr_node_addname_find_attr to (re)compute
> the location of the new attr in the node-format structure without
> freeing the old da state structure, so that just leaks.

*nod*

> The crash seems to be happening when we have a long chain of xattr work
> racing with another thread making changes elsewhere and flushing the
> log.  At the start of the delayed attr work, we log an xattri log item,
> with the caller's name and value buffers attached.  When the CIL
> commits, we use those buffers to format the log item, and ->iop_commit
> sets the pointers to NULL.  At this point the other thread(s) manage to
> write to and flush the log enough times that we end up in a new
> checkpoint.  Seeing this, the deferred work manager makes the xattr
> writer relog the xattri log item.  The _relog method tries to memcpy the
> name and value into a new buffer, but crashes because we already nulled
> out the pointers, and kaboom.

I haven't see that one. As I went over the attr intent logging, I
thought that it needed to be rewritten to use a reference counted
name/value buffer so that we could elide all the extra CIL shadow
buffer allocation and copying that is done every time we roll the
xattr transaction and create a new intent. I was looking at this
more from an efficiency POV (reduced CPU/memory cost per large xattr
logged) than a correctness POV, but I suspected there might be
correctness issues there as well.

My tentative plan is that we allocate the buffer structure when the
attri does right now, but we modify the log iovec copy routinues to
be able to take a stable buffer by reference instead of copying it.
That way it can propagate into the CIL and it doesn't need to null
any pointers - when the CIL releases the intent item, it just drops
the reference on the name/val structure.

That way the same name/value structure is used repeatedly instead of
repeated alloc/copy/free, and it's life time is bound by the
first/last reference rather than a specific execution context as it
is now with the xattrip.

> I'm not sure how to fix that -- if nobody flushes the log, the attri
> items can stick around in memory until the CIL is being committed,
> right?  But that could be long after the original writer thread has
> returned to userspace, which means that (a) we can't just not drop the
> name/value buffer pointers from the xattr_log_item structure at commit
> time so that relog works, and (b) I think implies UAF bugs during log
> item formatting, perhaps?

Yeah, I think you might be right. I hadn't looked quite that deeply
into this code. I have notes that say "we need to reduce the
overhead of this" and I'm sure as soon as I started on that I'd
notice the issues that you've already uncovered.

That said, I don't think this is essential to fix for the upcoming
merge window because the experimental tag is intended to allow us
time to discover and fix these sorts of unexpected problems that
wider use and testing will uncover.

> <shrug> It's still the weekend here, so that's just my idul
> speculations.  I'm running the fixpatches through fstests one more time
> before I start sending them to the list.

Thanks!

-Dave.
--

@ 2022-05-16  3:23       ` Darrick J. Wong
From: Darrick J. Wong @ 2022-05-16  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Chinner; +Cc: linux-xfs

On Mon, May 16, 2022 at 08:20:10AM +1000, Dave Chinner wrote:
> On Sun, May 15, 2022 at 12:41:21PM -0700, Darrick J. Wong wrote:

> > > Yay!!
> > >
> > > I ran this on the fstests cloud overnight, and I noticed complaints from
> > > xfs/434 that we're leaking xfs_da_state objects.  I turned on kmemleak
> > > checking, which pointed out that the removexattr code path seems to be
> > > attaching a da state to the xfs_attr_item structure and never freeing
> > > it.
>
> Yes, I suspected that there were issues here from combining the two
> paths - the fill/refill state sidelining changes the way dastate
> paths were used for the removexattr path, and the original set-iter
> path used da_state structures fundamentally differently to the
> remove_iter path. So I'm not surprised that there's a leak somewhere
> in there - KASAN/kmemleak testing was somethign I planned for this
> week, but you've beaten me to turning it on....

<nod> I turned it on early because xfs/434 is still tripping over
leaked dquots, though annoyingly that problem goes away once I turn on
kmemleak.

> > > I don't know if the delayed attrs state machine actually needs that
> > > state as it runs through the remove states, but my dumb solution is to
> > > free xfs_attr_item.xattri_da_state (if it's still attached) right before
> > > we free the xfs_attr_item.
>
> Yeah, I think it used to be freed at the equivalent of XFS_DAS_DONE
> before the integration, so this isn't unreasonable.

<nod>

> > > I also noticed that the attri recovery code doesn't reject unknown bits
> > > in the alfi_op_flags and alfi_attr_flags fields, so I added a couple of
> > > fixpatches to abort log recovery if either of those fields have bits set
> > > that we don't recognize.
>
> *nod*
>
> > > While I was poking around in there, I also found a few things that
> > > should probably get cleaned up, such as the alfi_op_flags shouldn't be
> > > in the XFS_ATTR_* namespace since higher level xattr code already uses
> > > it.
>
> Oh, you mean the name needs changing, not that there's something
> wrong with the code?

Right.   XFS_ATTR_CREATE and XFS_ATTR_OP_FLAGS_SET apply to different
data structures.

> > > Question: the alfi_attr_flags are really just the attr_filter flags from
> > > the da_state structure, right?  I renamed the field and gave the flags
> > > their own XFS_XATTRI_FILTER_* namespace.
>
> I don't think that's correct. The filter flags contain the on-disk
> namespace for the attribute we are operating on (XFS_ATTR_ROOT,
> XFS_ATTR_SECURE, XFS_ATTR_PARENT, etc). It also contains the LOCAL
> and INCOMPLETE flags, too, which aren't namespace bits but indicate
> on-disk state of the xattr.
>
> IOWs, they are already well known on-disk flags, and I don't think
> adding a separate namespace for it improves anything - it's
> confusing enough trying to work out how the INCOMPLETE flag
> interacts with XFS_ATTR_NSP_ONDISK_MASK and attr_filter without
> adding a whole new set of names for the same on-disk namespace
> flags...

<nod> Ok, I'll change it to use the same mask for validation that we for
validating xattr keys.

> > > Moving along, I noticed that we weren't creating a separate slab cache
> > > for xfs_attr_item intent items, like we (now) do for the other deferred
> > > work items, so I modified the runtime paths to use a slab cache (the
> > > mega-item created by recovery gets left alone) and rearranged the struct
> > > to reduce its size from 96 to 88 bytes.  Now we can cram 46 items into a
> > > memory page instead of 32!
>
> Nice cleanup!
>
> > > Also, I moved the attri and attrd log item cache initialization to
> > > xfs_super.c to go with all the other log intent item cache
> > > initializations, and renamed xfs_attr_item to xfs_attr_intent because
> > > all the other high level deferred work state structures have type names
> > > that end in _intent.
>
> Ok. I've got "clean up subsystem init" in my notes here, sounds like
> you've already done that. :)

<nod> I'll send out the patches, though (since it's still Sunday night)
I won't get to making the adjustments I just mentioned until tomorrow.

> > > AFAICT the only tests changes that were needed are to silence the EINVAL
> > > returns when we try to set the quota warning counters in xfs/050,
> > > xfs/153, and xfs/299.  Does that square with everyone else's
> > > experiences?
>
> Yeah, I think those are the only three. I'll run those patches
> today.

Ok good.

> > > I finally diagnosed the regressions I was seeing in xfs/314 and xfs/313
> > > on aarch64 all throughout 5.18.
>
> Yay!
>
> > > Sooo ... willy (I hope) is soon to become the pagecache maintainer and
> > > clearly disagrees[1] with the current XFS behavior of invalidating and
> > > clearing uptodate on a folio on write error.  I /think/ we can finally
> > > let go of this quirk of ours and make XFS behave just like any other
> > > Linux filesystem, since (AFAICT) there isn't any downside to leaving the
> > > folio uptodate and !dirty.
>
> Sure, seems like the right time to make things more consistent with
> the rest of the filesystem writeback path behaviours....

<nod>

> > > [1] https://lore.kernel.org/linux-xfs/Yg04X73lr5YK5kwH@casper.infradead.org/
> > >
> > > If the program notices the EIO and redirties the file we go through the
> > > same write paths as we did before; and if the program doesn't care, the
> > > cached contents will remain in RAM until the folio is evicted or someone
> > > dirties it again.  It's true that if nobody redirties the page then the
> > > contents will be lost at some point, but that's already true.
> > >
> > > I'm testing a patch that removes the part of iomap that clears uptodate
> > > and the part of xfs that invalidates the folio.  We'll see how that
> > > goes.
>
> What happens to the delalloc extent backing the file offset the
> failed folio covers?

The delalloc reservations still get deleted.  It's just the folio
invalidation and state changes that no longer happen.

> > > Hmm.  I don't test recoveryloop on 1k block filesystems, I guess I
> > > should... :P  Aside from the handful of issues I laid out in this reply,
> > > everything *else* seems pretty solid.  I haven't tried larp mode or
> > > nrext64=1 mode yet though.
> >
> > I turned on LARP mode Friday night and found a second da state leak and
> > a kernel crash when relogging an xattri log item.
> >
> > The da state leak happens under a setxattr call to replace an attr.  I
> > think what's going on is that _attr_set_iter finds the old name and
> > removes it without freeing the da state structure.
>
> Yeah, that'll probably be the same leak as the removexattr you've
> already seen, as replace recovery starts with a remove...

Yup.

> > Once we roll to
> > NODE_ADD state, we call xfs_attr_node_addname_find_attr to (re)compute
> > the location of the new attr in the node-format structure without
> > freeing the old da state structure, so that just leaks.
>
> *nod*

Yeah.  In the end I decided to clean up xfs_attr_node_hasname's calling
conventions because the whole "maybe pass out a pointer or maybe don't"
was confusing and the source of at least one or two bugs.

> > The crash seems to be happening when we have a long chain of xattr work
> > racing with another thread making changes elsewhere and flushing the
> > log.  At the start of the delayed attr work, we log an xattri log item,
> > with the caller's name and value buffers attached.  When the CIL
> > commits, we use those buffers to format the log item, and ->iop_commit
> > sets the pointers to NULL.  At this point the other thread(s) manage to
> > write to and flush the log enough times that we end up in a new
> > checkpoint.  Seeing this, the deferred work manager makes the xattr
> > writer relog the xattri log item.  The _relog method tries to memcpy the
> > name and value into a new buffer, but crashes because we already nulled
> > out the pointers, and kaboom.
>
> I haven't see that one. As I went over the attr intent logging, I
> thought that it needed to be rewritten to use a reference counted
> name/value buffer so that we could elide all the extra CIL shadow
> buffer allocation and copying that is done every time we roll the
> xattr transaction and create a new intent. I was looking at this
> more from an efficiency POV (reduced CPU/memory cost per large xattr
> logged) than a correctness POV, but I suspected there might be
> correctness issues there as well.
>
> My tentative plan is that we allocate the buffer structure when the
> attri does right now, but we modify the log iovec copy routinues to
> be able to take a stable buffer by reference instead of copying it.
> That way it can propagate into the CIL and it doesn't need to null
> any pointers - when the CIL releases the intent item, it just drops
> the reference on the name/val structure.
>
> That way the same name/value structure is used repeatedly instead of
> repeated alloc/copy/free, and it's life time is bound by the
> first/last reference rather than a specific execution context as it
> is now with the xattrip.

<nod> I had a feeling that we were likely to end up at refcounted
name/value buffers.  ISTR Allison used to have it written that way but
changed it to the current style on account of review comments, but she
likely remembers that context far better than I.

> > I'm not sure how to fix that -- if nobody flushes the log, the attri
> > items can stick around in memory until the CIL is being committed,
> > right?  But that could be long after the original writer thread has
> > returned to userspace, which means that (a) we can't just not drop the
> > name/value buffer pointers from the xattr_log_item structure at commit
> > time so that relog works, and (b) I think implies UAF bugs during log
> > item formatting, perhaps?
>
> Yeah, I think you might be right. I hadn't looked quite that deeply
> into this code. I have notes that say "we need to reduce the
> overhead of this" and I'm sure as soon as I started on that I'd
> notice the issues that you've already uncovered.
>
> That said, I don't think this is essential to fix for the upcoming
> merge window because the experimental tag is intended to allow us
> time to discover and fix these sorts of unexpected problems that
> wider use and testing will uncover.

Yes.  The leaks are (at the moment) a higher priority since I can
hit them in non-larp mode.  I'd also like to resolve the xattr log item
flags checking (even though it's EXPERIMENTAL) because in my experience
it's best to sand down those sharp edges before it ships in a Real Linus
Release. :)

--D