* Broken Audio on Stable Kernels for i.MX 7 based Boards
@ 2022-05-20 13:25 Philippe Schenker
From: Philippe Schenker @ 2022-05-20 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stable, gregkh; +Cc: peng.fan, abel.vesa, Francesco Dolcini

Hello

I noticed today, that commit eccac77ede394 ("clk: imx7d: Remove
audio_mclk_root_clk") was backported to stable kernels. This commit by
itself does break audio functionality on i.MX 7 based boards. [1]

For this to work commit 4cb7df64c73 ("ARM: dts: imx7: Use
audio_mclk_post_div instead audio_mclk_root_clk") is also needed but is
lacking a Fixes: tag, hence it is missing in stable kernels. [2]

I noticed this while merging stable-patches into our downstream-
branches.

@Abel can you confirm my finding?
@Greg could you pull patch [2] into kernels where [1] got merged?

Thanks,
Philippe

[1]
https://lore.kernel.org/all/20220127141052.1900174-2-abel.vesa@nxp.com/
[2]
https://lore.kernel.org/all/20220127141052.1900174-1-abel.vesa@nxp.com/

* Re: Broken Audio on Stable Kernels for i.MX 7 based Boards
@ 2022-05-20 13:48 ` Abel Vesa
From: Abel Vesa @ 2022-05-20 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philippe Schenker; +Cc: stable, gregkh, peng.fan, Francesco Dolcini

On 22-05-20 13:25:29, Philippe Schenker wrote:
> Hello
>
> I noticed today, that commit eccac77ede394 ("clk: imx7d: Remove
> audio_mclk_root_clk") was backported to stable kernels. This commit by
> itself does break audio functionality on i.MX 7 based boards. [1]
>
> For this to work commit 4cb7df64c73 ("ARM: dts: imx7: Use
> audio_mclk_post_div instead audio_mclk_root_clk") is also needed but is
> lacking a Fixes: tag, hence it is missing in stable kernels. [2]
>
> I noticed this while merging stable-patches into our downstream-
> branches.
>
> @Abel can you confirm my finding?

Hi Philippe,

Yes. Sorry about it. I should've added the Fixes tag
to the first patch (of that series) too. My bad.

Lets hope Greg pick it up.

@ 2022-05-20 20:24   ` gregkh
From: gregkh @ 2022-05-20 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Abel Vesa; +Cc: Philippe Schenker, stable, peng.fan, Francesco Dolcini

On Fri, May 20, 2022 at 04:48:43PM +0300, Abel Vesa wrote:
> On 22-05-20 13:25:29, Philippe Schenker wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > I noticed today, that commit eccac77ede394 ("clk: imx7d: Remove
> > audio_mclk_root_clk") was backported to stable kernels. This commit by
> > itself does break audio functionality on i.MX 7 based boards. [1]
> >
> > For this to work commit 4cb7df64c73 ("ARM: dts: imx7: Use
> > audio_mclk_post_div instead audio_mclk_root_clk") is also needed but is
> > lacking a Fixes: tag, hence it is missing in stable kernels. [2]
> >
> > I noticed this while merging stable-patches into our downstream-
> > branches.
> >
> > @Abel can you confirm my finding?
>
> Hi Philippe,
>
> Yes. Sorry about it. I should've added the Fixes tag
> to the first patch (of that series) too. My bad.
>
> Lets hope Greg pick it up.
>
> > @Greg could you pull patch [2] into kernels where [1] got merged?

It is already in all kernels except for 5.4.y where it does not apply
cleanly.  Can you provide a working backport for that branch?

Philippe, what branch did you test that you saw breakage?

thanks,

greg k-h