* external monitor no signal with HDMI port apple-gmux.c
@ 2022-06-10 19:57 Yerong Li
From: Yerong Li @ 2022-06-10 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stable; +Cc: yerong.li, regressions

Hi there:

I am using debian 11 linux with a macbook pro 2013 15-inch. i7-3740QM
CPU (NIVIDIA-GPU switch)

I think on my macbook pro the HDMI port with external monitor is not
working while the DP port /thunderbolt 2 is working. (Actually one of my
2 DP port is working the other is not) These three ports work under
MacOS system:

https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/external-monitor-not-working-nvidia-optimus/216573/2

Many users met similar issues: HDMI got detected by xrandr while the
external monitor got no signals. Could you help us?

https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/no-signal-with-hdmi-or-dp-0-ports-on-macbookpro10-1-gt-650m-only-dp-1-works/49777/5
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/platform/x86/apple-gmux.c#n311

Yerong

* Re: external monitor no signal with HDMI port apple-gmux.c
@ 2022-06-10 20:02 ` Yerong Li
From: Yerong Li @ 2022-06-10 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stable; +Cc: regressions, yerong.li

Hi there:

I am using debian 11 linux with a macbook pro 2013 15-inch. i7-3740QM
CPU (NIVIDIA-GPU switch)

I think on my macbook pro the HDMI port with external monitor is not
working while the DP port /thunderbolt 2 is working. (Actually one of my
2 DP port is working the other is not) These three ports work under
MacOS system:

https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/external-monitor-not-working-nvidia-optimus/216573/2

Many users met similar issues: HDMI got detected by xrandr while the
external monitor got no signals. Could you help us?

Attached the nvidia-bug-report.log.gz which shows : "No NUMA
configuration found"
https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/no-signal-with-hdmi-or-dp-0-ports-on-macbookpro10-1-gt-650m-only-dp-1-works/49777/5

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/platform/x86/apple-gmux.c#n311

Thanks,
Yerong

On 6/10/22 14:57, Yerong Li wrote:
> Hi there:
>
> I am using debian 11 linux with a macbook pro 2013 15-inch. i7-3740QM
> CPU (NIVIDIA-GPU switch)
>
> I think on my macbook pro the HDMI port with external monitor is not
> working while the DP port /thunderbolt 2 is working. (Actually one of
> my 2 DP port is working the other is not) These three ports work under
> MacOS system:
>
> https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/external-monitor-not-working-nvidia-optimus/216573/2
>

> Many users met similar issues: HDMI got detected by xrandr while the
> external monitor got no signals. Could you help us?
>
> https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/no-signal-with-hdmi-or-dp-0-ports-on-macbookpro10-1-gt-650m-only-dp-1-works/49777/5
>
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/platform/x86/apple-gmux.c#n311
>

> Yerong

[-- Attachment #2: nvidia-bug-report.log.gz --]
[-- Type: application/gzip, Size: 350902 bytes --]

* Re: external monitor no signal with HDMI port apple-gmux.c
@ 2022-06-13  9:09 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2022-06-13  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yerong Li; +Cc: stable, regressions

On Fri, Jun 10, 2022 at 02:57:37PM -0500, Yerong Li wrote:
> Hi there:
>
> I am using debian 11 linux with a macbook pro 2013 15-inch. i7-3740QM CPU
> (NIVIDIA-GPU switch)
>
> I think on my macbook pro the HDMI port with external monitor is not working
> while the DP port /thunderbolt 2 is working. (Actually one of my 2 DP port
> is working the other is not) These three ports work under MacOS system:
>
> https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/external-monitor-not-working-nvidia-optimus/216573/2
>
> Many users met similar issues: HDMI got detected by xrandr while the
> external monitor got no signals. Could you help us?
>
> https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/no-signal-with-hdmi-or-dp-0-ports-on-macbookpro10-1-gt-650m-only-dp-1-works/49777/5
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/platform/x86/apple-gmux.c#n311

I do not think this is a regression with the kernel as it never has
worked before.

Please contact the graphics developers so that they can help you out
with this.

Good luck!

greg k-h