* FAIL: alsa/Makefile dependency check
@ 2022-07-15 14:47 li_jessen2016@gmail.com li
From: li_jessen2016@gmail.com li @ 2022-07-15 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: broonie; +Cc: alsa-devel, linux-kselftest

Dear Mark Brown,

Sorry to bother you. I posted this issue on stackoverflow but didn't get
any correct answer yet. So I try to reach you.

I'm using Ubuntu 20.04 and the kernel is *5.19.0-rc3+*.  When I run
*./kselftest_deps.sh
gcc* in .*/tools/testing/selftests*, it shows the following:

FAIL: alsa/Makefile dependency check: $(shell
FAIL: alsa/Makefile dependency check: pkg-config
FAIL: alsa/Makefile dependency check: --libs
FAIL: alsa/Makefile dependency check: alsa)
FAIL: alsa/Makefile dependency check: $(shell
FAIL: alsa/Makefile dependency check: pkg-config
FAIL: alsa/Makefile dependency check: --libs
FAIL: alsa/Makefile dependency check: alsa)

In alsa/Makefile, it is:

LDLIBS += $(shell pkg-config --libs alsa)

ifeq ($(LDLIBS),)
LDLIBS += -lasound
endif

But in ./alsa directory, when I run *$pkg-config --libs alsa, *it
returns *-lasound**.*

And when I change  *$(shell pkg-config --libs alsa)* to *-lasound* in
alsa/Makefile, there is no FAIL info for it.

So I wonder why the FAIL info appears in the presence of *$(shell
pkg-config --libs alsa) *in alsa/Makefile. Is it some sort of bug or
did I miss something?

Looking forward to your answer.

Best Regards.

Jessen

* Re: FAIL: alsa/Makefile dependency check
@ 2022-07-15 15:33 ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2022-07-15 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: li_jessen2016@gmail.com li; +Cc: alsa-devel, linux-kselftest

On Fri, Jul 15, 2022 at 10:47:16PM +0800, li_jessen2016@gmail.com li wrote:

> FAIL: alsa/Makefile dependency check: $(shell
> FAIL: alsa/Makefile dependency check: pkg-config

..

> So I wonder why the FAIL info appears in the presence of *$(shell
> pkg-config --libs alsa) *in alsa/Makefile. Is it some sort of bug or
> did I miss something?

I think that's a bug in this tool you're running - it's not
understanding the $(shell ...) and generating false positives, not 100%
sure what it's trying to do but it's fairly clearly parsing every
element in the statement as a dependency of some kind.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: FAIL: alsa/Makefile dependency check
@ 2022-07-16  1:14   ` li_jessen2016@gmail.com li
From: li_jessen2016@gmail.com li @ 2022-07-16  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown; +Cc: alsa-devel, linux-kselftest

Thanks for your kind reply. Then what should I do? To officially raise a
bug to all the relevant persons in the kernel community?

Jessen

@ 2022-07-18 11:04     ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2022-07-18 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: li_jessen2016@gmail.com li; +Cc: alsa-devel, linux-kselftest