* Meson GXL and Rockchip PHY based on same IP?
@ 2022-07-30 15:58 ` Heiner Kallweit
From: Heiner Kallweit @ 2022-07-30 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jerome Brunet; +Cc: netdev, open list:ARM/Amlogic Meson..., linux-rockchip

Meson GXL and Rockchip ethernet PHY drivers have quite something in common.
They share a number of non-standard registers, using the same bits
and same bank handling. This makes me think they they may be using
the same IP. However they have different quirk handling. But this
doesn't rule out that actually they would need the same quirk handling.
Eventually it might be possible to merge both drivers.
When working on the Meson GXL PHY driver, did you ever come across
this similarity?

From: Heiner Kallweit @ 2022-07-30 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jerome Brunet; +Cc: netdev, open list:ARM/Amlogic Meson..., linux-rockchip

Meson GXL and Rockchip ethernet PHY drivers have quite something in common.
They share a number of non-standard registers, using the same bits
and same bank handling. This makes me think they they may be using
the same IP. However they have different quirk handling. But this
doesn't rule out that actually they would need the same quirk handling.
Eventually it might be possible to merge both drivers.
When working on the Meson GXL PHY driver, did you ever come across
this similarity?

* Re: Meson GXL and Rockchip PHY based on same IP?
  (?)
@ 2022-07-30 17:06   ` Martin Blumenstingl
From: Martin Blumenstingl @ 2022-07-30 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heiner Kallweit
  Cc: Jerome Brunet, netdev, open list:ARM/Amlogic Meson..., linux-rockchip

Hi Heiner,

On Sat, Jul 30, 2022 at 5:59 PM Heiner Kallweit <hkallweit1@gmail.com> wrote:

> Meson GXL and Rockchip ethernet PHY drivers have quite something in common.
> They share a number of non-standard registers, using the same bits
> and same bank handling. This makes me think they they may be using
> the same IP. However they have different quirk handling. But this
> doesn't rule out that actually they would need the same quirk handling.
You made me curious and I found the following public Microchip
LAN83C185 datasheet: [0]
Page 27 has a "SMI REGISTER MAPPING" which matches the definitions in
meson-gxl.c.
Also on page 33 the interrupt source bits are a 100% match with the
INTSRC_* marcos in meson-gxl.c

Whether this means that:
- Amlogic SoCs embed a LAN83C185
- LAN83C185 is based on the same IP core (possibly not even designed
by Amlogic or SMSC)
- the SMI interface design is something that one hardware engineer
brought from one company to another
- ...something else
is something I can't tell

Best regards,
Martin

[0] https://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/LAN83C185-Data-Sheet-DS00002808A.pdf

From: Martin Blumenstingl @ 2022-07-30 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heiner Kallweit
  Cc: Jerome Brunet, netdev, open list:ARM/Amlogic Meson..., linux-rockchip

From: Martin Blumenstingl @ 2022-07-30 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heiner Kallweit
  Cc: Jerome Brunet, netdev, open list:ARM/Amlogic Meson..., linux-rockchip

@ 2022-07-30 19:31     ` Heiner Kallweit
From: Heiner Kallweit @ 2022-07-30 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Blumenstingl
  Cc: Jerome Brunet, netdev, open list:ARM/Amlogic Meson..., linux-rockchip

On 30.07.2022 19:06, Martin Blumenstingl wrote:
> Hi Heiner,
>
> On Sat, Jul 30, 2022 at 5:59 PM Heiner Kallweit <hkallweit1@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Meson GXL and Rockchip ethernet PHY drivers have quite something in common.
>> They share a number of non-standard registers, using the same bits
>> and same bank handling. This makes me think they they may be using
>> the same IP. However they have different quirk handling. But this
>> doesn't rule out that actually they would need the same quirk handling.
> You made me curious and I found the following public Microchip
> LAN83C185 datasheet: [0]
> Page 27 has a "SMI REGISTER MAPPING" which matches the definitions in
> meson-gxl.c.
> Also on page 33 the interrupt source bits are a 100% match with the
> INTSRC_* marcos in meson-gxl.c

Great, thanks for investigating!

From: Heiner Kallweit @ 2022-07-30 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Blumenstingl
  Cc: Jerome Brunet, netdev, open list:ARM/Amlogic Meson..., linux-rockchip

From: Heiner Kallweit @ 2022-07-30 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Blumenstingl
  Cc: Jerome Brunet, netdev, open list:ARM/Amlogic Meson..., linux-rockchip

@ 2022-08-01  7:09       ` Da Xue
From: Da Xue @ 2022-08-01  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heiner Kallweit
  Cc: Martin Blumenstingl, Jerome Brunet, netdev,
	open list:ARM/Amlogic Meson...,
	linux-rockchip

On Sat, Jul 30, 2022 at 3:31 PM Heiner Kallweit <hkallweit1@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 30.07.2022 19:06, Martin Blumenstingl wrote:
> > Hi Heiner,
> >
> > On Sat, Jul 30, 2022 at 5:59 PM Heiner Kallweit <hkallweit1@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Meson GXL and Rockchip ethernet PHY drivers have quite something in common.
> >> They share a number of non-standard registers, using the same bits
> >> and same bank handling. This makes me think they they may be using
> >> the same IP. However they have different quirk handling. But this
> >> doesn't rule out that actually they would need the same quirk handling.
> > You made me curious and I found the following public Microchip
> > LAN83C185 datasheet: [0]
> > Page 27 has a "SMI REGISTER MAPPING" which matches the definitions in
> > meson-gxl.c.
> > Also on page 33 the interrupt source bits are a 100% match with the
> > INTSRC_* marcos in meson-gxl.c
> >
> Great, thanks for investigating!
>
> > Whether this means that:
> > - Amlogic SoCs embed a LAN83C185
> > - LAN83C185 is based on the same IP core (possibly not even designed
> > by Amlogic or SMSC)
> > - the SMI interface design is something that one hardware engineer
> > brought from one company to another
> > - ...something else
> > is something I can't tell

Per Jerome, both are OmniPHY IP.

From: Da Xue @ 2022-08-01  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heiner Kallweit
  Cc: Martin Blumenstingl, Jerome Brunet, netdev,

From: Da Xue @ 2022-08-01  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heiner Kallweit
  Cc: Martin Blumenstingl, Jerome Brunet, netdev,

@ 2022-08-01  8:45         ` Jerome Brunet
From: Jerome Brunet @ 2022-08-01  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Da Xue, Heiner Kallweit
  Cc: Martin Blumenstingl, netdev, open list:ARM/Amlogic Meson...,
	linux-rockchip

On Mon 01 Aug 2022 at 03:09, Da Xue <da@lessconfused.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 30, 2022 at 3:31 PM Heiner Kallweit <hkallweit1@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 30.07.2022 19:06, Martin Blumenstingl wrote:
>> > Hi Heiner,

>> > You made me curious and I found the following public Microchip
>> > LAN83C185 datasheet: [0]
>> > Page 27 has a "SMI REGISTER MAPPING" which matches the definitions in
>> > meson-gxl.c.
>> > Also on page 33 the interrupt source bits are a 100% match with the
>> > INTSRC_* marcos in meson-gxl.c
>> >
>> Great, thanks for investigating!
>>
>> > Whether this means that:
>> > - Amlogic SoCs embed a LAN83C185
>> > - LAN83C185 is based on the same IP core (possibly not even designed
>> > by Amlogic or SMSC)
>> > - the SMI interface design is something that one hardware engineer
>> > brought from one company to another
>> > - ...something else
>> > is something I can't tell
>
> Per Jerome, both are OmniPHY IP.

I believe it to be the case, yes.

However, the version of the IP could be different.
The integration the SoC vendor did is very likely to be different too.

I'd be in favor of keeping things the way they are now.
I don't think merging the drivers now is really worth the effort.
With the uncertainty there is around SoC integration, It could bring more
problems that it solves down the line.

From: Jerome Brunet @ 2022-08-01  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Da Xue, Heiner Kallweit
  Cc: Martin Blumenstingl, netdev, open list:ARM/Amlogic Meson...,

From: Jerome Brunet @ 2022-08-01  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Da Xue, Heiner Kallweit
  Cc: Martin Blumenstingl, netdev, open list:ARM/Amlogic Meson...,

@ 2022-08-01 13:16           ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2022-08-01 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jerome Brunet
  Cc: Da Xue, Heiner Kallweit, Martin Blumenstingl, netdev,
	open list:ARM/Amlogic Meson...,
	linux-rockchip

> > Per Jerome, both are OmniPHY IP.
> >

> I believe it to be the case, yes.
>
> However, the version of the IP could be different.
> The integration the SoC vendor did is very likely to be different too.

It has been pointed out that they have different quirks. It would be
good to check if any of the quirks in one should be applied to the
other.

	Andrew

From: Andrew Lunn @ 2022-08-01 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jerome Brunet
  Cc: Da Xue, Heiner Kallweit, Martin Blumenstingl, netdev,
	open list:ARM/Amlogic Meson...,
	linux-rockchip

From: Andrew Lunn @ 2022-08-01 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jerome Brunet
  Cc: Da Xue, Heiner Kallweit, Martin Blumenstingl, netdev,
	open list:ARM/Amlogic Meson...,
	linux-rockchip

@ 2022-08-01 13:21         ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2022-08-01 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Da Xue
  Cc: Heiner Kallweit, Martin Blumenstingl, Jerome Brunet, netdev,
	open list:ARM/Amlogic Meson...,
	linux-rockchip

> Per Jerome, both are OmniPHY IP.

NXP bought OmniPHY in 2018. So we should keep an eye on NXP PHY
drivers.

	Andrew

From: Andrew Lunn @ 2022-08-01 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Da Xue