* Set up email client mutt
@ 2023-03-08 21:08 Khadija Kamran
From: Khadija Kamran @ 2023-03-08 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy

Hi everyone!
I am an Outreachy applicant. Gladly, I am sending this email from mutt
after spending some time on its setup and understanding. I am quite new
to text based email clients.

Here is a list of steps I have understood:

1. Set up vim as mentioned in first patch tutorial.
This is what my .vimrc file looks like:
filetype plugin indent on
syntax on
set title
set tabstop=8
set softtabstop=8
set shiftwidth=8
set noexpandtab

2. Learn some vim basics, since we set it as default mutt editor.

3. Create and edit .esmtprc and .muttrc files as mentioned in the First
Patch tutorial.

This is what my .esmtp file looks like:
identity "username@gmail.com"
hostname smtp.gmail.com:587
username "username@gmail.com"
password "not_my_password"
starttls required

This is what my .muttrc file looks like:
set sendmail="/usr/bin/esmtp"
set envelope_from=yes
set from="Full Name <username@gmail.com>"
set use_from=yes
set edit_headers=yes
set sort_aux = last-date-received
set sort = reverse-threads
set folder = "imaps://username@gmail.com@imap.gmail.com:993"
set imap_pass = "not_my_password"
set spoolfile = "+INBOX"
set record = "+Sent"
set trash = "+Trash"
set postponed = "+Drafts"
mailboxes =INBOX =Sent =Trash =Drafts =Junk =Other

4. Finally run mutt from your command prompt and start working.

Kindly, let me know if something is still missing or is incorrect.

Thank you :)

* Re: Set up email client mutt
@ 2023-03-08 23:53 ` Alison Schofield
From: Alison Schofield @ 2023-03-08 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khadija Kamran; +Cc: outreachy

On Thu, Mar 09, 2023 at 02:08:32AM +0500, Khadija Kamran wrote:
> Hi everyone!
> I am an Outreachy applicant. Gladly, I am sending this email from mutt
> after spending some time on its setup and understanding. I am quite new
> to text based email clients.
>
> Here is a list of steps I have understood:
>
> 1. Set up vim as mentioned in first patch tutorial.
> This is what my .vimrc file looks like:
> filetype plugin indent on
> syntax on
> set title
> set tabstop=8
> set softtabstop=8
> set shiftwidth=8
> set noexpandtab
>
> 2. Learn some vim basics, since we set it as default mutt editor.
>
> 3. Create and edit .esmtprc and .muttrc files as mentioned in the First
> Patch tutorial.
>
> This is what my .esmtp file looks like:
> identity "username@gmail.com"
> hostname smtp.gmail.com:587
> username "username@gmail.com"
> password "not_my_password"
> starttls required
>
> This is what my .muttrc file looks like:
> set sendmail="/usr/bin/esmtp"
> set envelope_from=yes
> set from="Full Name <username@gmail.com>"
> set use_from=yes
> set edit_headers=yes
> set sort_aux = last-date-received
> set sort = reverse-threads
> set folder = "imaps://username@gmail.com@imap.gmail.com:993"
> set imap_pass = "not_my_password"
> set spoolfile = "+INBOX"
> set record = "+Sent"
> set trash = "+Trash"
> set postponed = "+Drafts"
> mailboxes =INBOX =Sent =Trash =Drafts =Junk =Other
>
> 4. Finally run mutt from your command prompt and start working.
>
> Kindly, let me know if something is still missing or is incorrect.

Well, I got the mail, and it's plain text.
Let's make sure you are getting the replies now.
Alison