* SVSM draft specification v0.62 / GHCB draft specification v2.03
@ 2023-03-14 22:08 Tom Lendacky
From: Tom Lendacky @ 2023-03-14 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-coco, amd-sev-snp

Attached is an updated draft version of the SVSM specification with
feedback incorporated from the previous review.

Also attached is a draft GHCB specification with updates for APIC ID
retrieval and VMPL/VMSA level execution (and an SEV-ES enhancement to use
the SNP Page State Change support for working with UPM).

Please take a look and reply with any feedback you may have.

Thanks,
Tom

[-- Attachment #2: Draft-SVSM-v0.62.pdf --]

[-- Attachment #3: Draft-GHCB-v2.03.pdf --]

* Re: SVSM draft specification v0.62 / GHCB draft specification v2.03
@ 2023-03-16 20:31 ` Tom Dohrmann
From: Tom Dohrmann @ 2023-03-16 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Lendacky; +Cc: linux-coco, amd-sev-snp

On Tue, Mar 14, 2023 at 05:08:17PM -0500, Tom Lendacky wrote:
> Attached is an updated draft version of the SVSM specification with feedback
> incorporated from the previous review.
>
> Also attached is a draft GHCB specification with updates for APIC ID
> retrieval and VMPL/VMSA level execution (and an SEV-ES enhancement to use
> the SNP Page State Change support for working with UPM).

AFAICT the new GHCB spec explains how to run a vCPU at another VMPL,
but doesn't contain any information about how to registers a new VMSA
for a specific VMPL. From looking at some of the patches used for SVSM
it seems that a new field in the AP Creation NAE was added, but the
specification wasn't yet updated accordingly.

Regards,
Tom

@ 2023-03-16 21:12   ` Tom Lendacky
From: Tom Lendacky @ 2023-03-16 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Dohrmann; +Cc: linux-coco, amd-sev-snp

On 3/16/23 15:31, Tom Dohrmann wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 14, 2023 at 05:08:17PM -0500, Tom Lendacky wrote:
>> Attached is an updated draft version of the SVSM specification with feedback
>> incorporated from the previous review.
>>
>> Also attached is a draft GHCB specification with updates for APIC ID
>> retrieval and VMPL/VMSA level execution (and an SEV-ES enhancement to use
>> the SNP Page State Change support for working with UPM).
>
> AFAICT the new GHCB spec explains how to run a vCPU at another VMPL,
> but doesn't contain any information about how to registers a new VMSA
> for a specific VMPL. From looking at some of the patches used for SVSM
> it seems that a new field in the AP Creation NAE was added, but the
> specification wasn't yet updated accordingly.

Ah, you are correct. I missed pulling that change into this version of the
document. Thanks for pointing that out.

Thanks,
Tom

@ 2023-03-17 16:49     ` Tom Lendacky
From: Tom Lendacky @ 2023-03-17 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Dohrmann; +Cc: linux-coco, amd-sev-snp

On 3/16/23 16:12, Tom Lendacky wrote:
> On 3/16/23 15:31, Tom Dohrmann wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 14, 2023 at 05:08:17PM -0500, Tom Lendacky wrote:
>>> Attached is an updated draft version of the SVSM specification with
>>> feedback
>>> incorporated from the previous review.
>>>
>>> Also attached is a draft GHCB specification with updates for APIC ID
>>> retrieval and VMPL/VMSA level execution (and an SEV-ES enhancement to use
>>> the SNP Page State Change support for working with UPM).
>>
>> AFAICT the new GHCB spec explains how to run a vCPU at another VMPL,
>> but doesn't contain any information about how to registers a new VMSA
>> for a specific VMPL. From looking at some of the patches used for SVSM
>> it seems that a new field in the AP Creation NAE was added, but the
>> specification wasn't yet updated accordingly.
>
> Ah, you are correct. I missed pulling that change into this version of the
> document. Thanks for pointing that out.

And just as an FYI until the next draft, bit positions 16-19 of
SW_EXITINFO1 on the AP Create NAE event will indicate the VMPL for which
the VMSA is being created/deleted.

Thanks,
Tom

@ 2023-04-17 17:07       ` Tom Lendacky