* [Outreachy Applicant] Introduction and Interest in Contributing to Linux Kernel
@ 2023-10-03 23:18 Gilbert Adikankwu
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Gilbert Adikankwu @ 2023-10-03 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy; +Cc: Julia.Lawall, andi.shyti, karolinadrobnik

Dear Outreachy Linux Kernel Community,

I am Gilbert Adikankwu, an Outreachy applicant for the December Cohort
2023. I want to use this medium to introduce myself to the community.
 As a Linux user,  I appreciate the quality work that has gone into
making Linux a rewarding experience. On this note, I'm interested in
contributing to the Linux Kernel. Specifically, I want to contribute
to the Linux Kernel through the project titled; "Improve i915 sysfs
interface implementation". I am excited about collaborating with
community members on this project.

I am eager to learn, contribute, and be part of the Linux Kernel
community's journey. I'm reading the first patch tutorial to learn how
to push my first patch. Any help you can offer me to make the process
easier is welcomed.

Best regards
Gilbert

* Re: [Outreachy Applicant] Introduction and Interest in Contributing to Linux Kernel
@ 2023-10-04  4:50 ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2023-10-04  4:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilbert Adikankwu; +Cc: outreachy, andi.shyti, karolinadrobnik

On Wed, 4 Oct 2023, Gilbert Adikankwu wrote:

> Dear Outreachy Linux Kernel Community,
>
> I am Gilbert Adikankwu, an Outreachy applicant for the December Cohort
> 2023. I want to use this medium to introduce myself to the community.
>  As a Linux user,  I appreciate the quality work that has gone into
> making Linux a rewarding experience. On this note, I'm interested in
> contributing to the Linux Kernel. Specifically, I want to contribute
> to the Linux Kernel through the project titled; "Improve i915 sysfs
> interface implementation". I am excited about collaborating with
> community members on this project.
>
> I am eager to learn, contribute, and be part of the Linux Kernel
> community's journey. I'm reading the first patch tutorial to learn how
> to push my first patch. Any help you can offer me to make the process
> easier is welcomed.

Welcome.  Thank you for your interest in the Linux kernel.  Please read
the message wuth the subject "ANNOUNCE" in the mailing list if you have
not done so already.

julia

@ 2023-10-04  6:59 ` Andi Shyti
From: Andi Shyti @ 2023-10-04  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilbert Adikankwu; +Cc: outreachy, Julia.Lawall, karolinadrobnik

Hi Gilbert,

> I am Gilbert Adikankwu, an Outreachy applicant for the December Cohort
> 2023. I want to use this medium to introduce myself to the community.
>  As a Linux user,  I appreciate the quality work that has gone into
> making Linux a rewarding experience. On this note, I'm interested in
> contributing to the Linux Kernel. Specifically, I want to contribute
> to the Linux Kernel through the project titled; "Improve i915 sysfs
> interface implementation". I am excited about collaborating with
> community members on this project.

I'm glad that this topic has raised your interest. Please feel
free to reach out for any questions and doubt.

For the time being, please, check for Julia's guidelines.

> I am eager to learn, contribute, and be part of the Linux Kernel
> community's journey. I'm reading the first patch tutorial to learn how
> to push my first patch. Any help you can offer me to make the process
> easier is welcomed.

Looking forward to seeing your first contribution... Linux Kernel
is a lot of fun ;-)

Thanks,
Andi

* Re: [Outreachy Applicant] Introduction and Interest in Contributing to Linux Kernel
@ 2023-10-05  9:27 ` Julia Lawall
       [not found]   ` <CAKrXSsZxnjup4VBdXYgrndEatoQY_jxKB+iN7fWReSDOa8V=pQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: Julia Lawall @ 2023-10-05  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilbert Adikankwu; +Cc: outreachy, Julia.Lawall

On Wed, 4 Oct 2023, Gilbert Adikankwu wrote:

> Dear Outreachy Linux Kernel Community,
>
> I am Gilbert Adikankwu, an Outreachy applicant for the December Cohort
> 2023. I want to use this medium to introduce myself to the community.
>  As a Linux user,  I appreciate the quality work that has gone into
> making Linux a rewarding experience. On this note, I'm interested in
> contributing to the Linux Kernel. Specifically, I want to contribute
> to the Linux Kernel through the project titled; "Improve i915 sysfs
> interface implementation". I am excited about collaborating with
> community members on this project.
>
> I am eager to learn, contribute, and be part of the Linux Kernel
> community's journey. I'm reading the first patch tutorial to learn how
> to push my first patch. Any help you can offer me to make the process
> easier is welcomed.
>
> Thank you for your time and consideration.

Have you had a chance to start on the tutorial?  Any questions?

julia

* Fwd: [Outreachy Applicant] Introduction and Interest in Contributing to Linux Kernel
       [not found]     ` <alpine.DEB.2.22.394.2310051145160.3375@hadrien>
@ 2023-10-05  9:57       ` Gilbert Adikankwu
From: Gilbert Adikankwu @ 2023-10-05  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy

From: Gilbert Adikankwu @ 2023-10-05 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andi Shyti; +Cc: outreachy

Hello Andi,

How do I check to see if my system meets the system requirements?

Thanks,
Gilbert

@ 2023-10-05 12:51     ` Andi Shyti
       [not found]       ` <CAKrXSsbRm9-nmZNj_i8DkW=a=px4DL_bt=ggAfiEnMjHVs3HqQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: Andi Shyti @ 2023-10-05 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilbert Adikankwu; +Cc: outreachy

Hi Gilbert,

> How do I check to see if my system meets the system requirements?

If you run lspci, you should check that your VGA controller is
Intel.

E.g., in my current laptop is:

$ lspci
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation TigerLake-LP GT2 [Iris Xe Graphics] (rev 01)

Another way is to check the modules running in your PC with
lsmod. The module (i.e. the driver) is called i915. In my laptop:

$ lsmod
i915                 3756032  19

Besides, i915 will be the piece of software this project is based
on.

Let me know,
Andi

* Re: [Outreachy Applicant] Introduction and Interest in Contributing to Linux Kernel
       [not found]             ` <ZR7j0Vc0y/K0arAF@ashyti-mobl2.lan>
@ 2023-10-06  6:36               ` Andi Shyti
From: Andi Shyti @ 2023-10-06  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilbert Adikankwu; +Cc: outreachy

Hi Gilbert,

please, do not remove the mailing list from the Cc.

For such cases there is never a single solution and I'm able to
provide ony my experience. Besides, I'm not experienced in VMs.

The point of reaching a community throught a mailing list is that
you can collect a wider range of thoughts and opinions.

Please, keep asking questions for clearing out your doubts.

Andi

@ 2023-10-06 14:16                 ` Gilbert Adikankwu
From: Gilbert Adikankwu @ 2023-10-06 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andi Shyti; +Cc: outreachy

Hello Andi,

Thank you for your response. I have found a resource online that will
guide me through the process of dual-booting Linux on my machine. But
I have another question, the project's system requirement says 50GB is
recommended for the hard drive space by 5GB is the minimum. I am only
able to partition 27GB on my current hard drive can it still work?

@ 2023-10-06 20:18                   ` Andi Shyti
From: Andi Shyti @ 2023-10-06 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilbert Adikankwu; +Cc: outreachy

Hi Gilbert,

On Fri, Oct 06, 2023 at 03:16:45PM +0100, Gilbert Adikankwu wrote:
> Hello Andi,
>
> Thank you for your response. I have found a resource online that will
> guide me through the process of dual-booting Linux on my machine. But
> I have another question, the project's system requirement says 50GB is
> recommended for the hard drive space by 5GB is the minimum. I am only
> able to partition 27GB on my current hard drive can it still work?

I don't know, I feel like nowadays 27GB are a bit tight.

The 50GB we wrote was arbitrary... if you are able to fit things
in 27GB, then OK... consider also that after the compilation, the
kernel directory and other tools become a bit fatter.

Andi

@ 2023-10-07 21:47                     ` Gilbert Adikankwu
From: Gilbert Adikankwu @ 2023-10-07 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andi Shyti; +Cc: outreachy, Julia Lawall

Hello Andi,

Thank you for your response. I ended up searching "how to increase the
shrink volume of my hard drive" and found resources that helped me
increase the volume of the partition to 100GB. I'm sending this email
from a natively installed Linux OS on my computer.

Thanks
Gilbert

@ 2023-10-08  6:10                       ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2023-10-08  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilbert Adikankwu; +Cc: Andi Shyti, outreachy

On Sat, 7 Oct 2023, Gilbert Adikankwu wrote:

> Hello Andi,
>
> Thank you for your response. I ended up searching "how to increase the
> shrink volume of my hard drive" and found resources that helped me
> increase the volume of the partition to 100GB. I'm sending this email
> from a natively installed Linux OS on my computer.

Great!  Congratulations on getting Linux installed on your machine.  Now
you can move on to modifying, recompiling, and rebooting into your kernel.

julia

@ 2023-10-08 21:28                       ` Andi Shyti
From: Andi Shyti @ 2023-10-08 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilbert Adikankwu; +Cc: Andi Shyti, outreachy, Julia Lawall

Hi Gilbert,

On Sat, Oct 07, 2023 at 10:47:39PM +0100, Gilbert Adikankwu wrote:
> Hello Andi,
>
> Thank you for your response. I ended up searching "how to increase the
> shrink volume of my hard drive" and found resources that helped me
> increase the volume of the partition to 100GB. I'm sending this email
> from a natively installed Linux OS on my computer.

That's a great news and I'm happy that you chose to have a
natively installed Linux based OS. 100GBs are more than enough!

You will see that everything will be easier for you.

Now I look forward to seeing some patches from you ;-)

Andi

@ 2023-10-05 19:17 ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2023-10-05 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: K; +Cc: outreachy

On Thu, 5 Oct 2023, K wrote:

> Hi Kenechukwu,
> My name is Kenechukwu Maduechesi, and I am writing in response to the
> recent email regarding Outreachy and the opportunity to contribute, I
> picked the - "Extend the support for regression reporting and tracking
> in Linux Kernel".
> I'm enthusiastic about the prospect of joining this community and
> contributing to such a project.

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in the Linux kernel.  Please see the first
patch tutorial to find out how to get started:

https://kernelnewbies.org/Outreachyfirstpatch

Please also look through the mailing list archives for the most recent
message with the subject ANNOUNCE, and read through that.  You may find
the other recent messages useful as well.

julia

* Re: [Outreachy Applicant] Introduction and Interest in Contributing to Linux Kernel
@ 2023-10-05 19:08 K