* libbpf/BPF-CORE kprobe arguments
@ 2023-12-11 23:18 Bruno Dias da Gião
From: Bruno Dias da Gião @ 2023-12-11 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bpf

Hello,
I read in one of Andrii Nakryiko's blogs that this was the best place to
ask questions, sorry if not up to all standards.

I have been working on some bcc -> libbpf conversions and have halted
entirely when I reached working with kprobes.

In the following code I attempt to pass to user space the parameters
passed to the system call.

SEC("kprobe/__x64_sys_openat")
int BPF_KPROBE(kprobe__x64_sys_openat, int dfd, const char * path,
	       int flags, unsigned short mode)
{
	struct event *ev;
	ev = bpf_ringbuf_reserve(&rb, sizeof(*ev), 0);
	if (!ev) {
		return 1;
	}
	ev->pid = bpf_get_current_pid_tgid() >> 32;
	bpf_get_current_comm(&ev->comm, sizeof(ev->comm));
	ev->ts = bpf_ktime_get_ns();
	ev->dfd = dfd;
	ev->flags = flags;
	ev->mode = mode;
	bpf_probe_read_user_str(&ev->buffer,
			   sizeof(ev->buffer),
			   (void *)path);
	//bpf_printk("%d %d %s", ev->pid, ev->df, ev->buffer);
	bpf_ringbuf_submit(ev, 0);
	return 0;
}

However the output of this function (both printk and ringbuf) returns
values that are either close to 2^32, for ev->df, or downright 0, for
ev->buffer.

Note that this works very cleanly when attaching instead with
tracepoints but simply using tracepoints and not touching kprobes is not
really an alternative for what I want.

The result is also the same when using PT_REGS_PARM* or even explicit
ctx->di/ctx->si (etc etc);

So I wonder if the pt regs are actually being filled with wrong information,
if I have an incorrect way of accessing the values of the registers.
I did search online for information on these kinds of outputs but did
not find any solutions.

Again, sorry if there's clutter or if this message should not be sent
here.
bdg

* Re: libbpf/BPF-CORE kprobe arguments
@ 2023-12-12  0:24 ` Andrii Nakryiko
From: Andrii Nakryiko @ 2023-12-12  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bpf

On Mon, Dec 11, 2023 at 3:18 PM Bruno Dias da Gião
<a96544@alunos.uminho.pt> wrote:

> Hello,
> I read in one of Andrii Nakryiko's blogs that this was the best place to
> ask questions, sorry if not up to all standards.
>
> I have been working on some bcc -> libbpf conversions and have halted
> entirely when I reached working with kprobes.
>
> In the following code I attempt to pass to user space the parameters
> passed to the system call.
>
> SEC("kprobe/__x64_sys_openat")
> int BPF_KPROBE(kprobe__x64_sys_openat, int dfd, const char * path,
>                int flags, unsigned short mode)
> {
>         struct event *ev;
>         ev = bpf_ringbuf_reserve(&rb, sizeof(*ev), 0);
>         if (!ev) {
>                 return 1;
>         }
>         ev->pid = bpf_get_current_pid_tgid() >> 32;
>         bpf_get_current_comm(&ev->comm, sizeof(ev->comm));
>         ev->ts = bpf_ktime_get_ns();
>         ev->dfd = dfd;
>         ev->flags = flags;
>         ev->mode = mode;
>         bpf_probe_read_user_str(&ev->buffer,
>                            sizeof(ev->buffer),
>                            (void *)path);
>         //bpf_printk("%d %d %s", ev->pid, ev->df, ev->buffer);
>         bpf_ringbuf_submit(ev, 0);
>         return 0;
> }
>
> However the output of this function (both printk and ringbuf) returns
> values that are either close to 2^32, for ev->df, or downright 0, for
> ev->buffer.
>
> Note that this works very cleanly when attaching instead with
> tracepoints but simply using tracepoints and not touching kprobes is not
> really an alternative for what I want.
>
> The result is also the same when using PT_REGS_PARM* or even explicit
> ctx->di/ctx->si (etc etc);
>
> So I wonder if the pt regs are actually being filled with wrong information,
> if I have an incorrect way of accessing the values of the registers.
> I did search online for information on these kinds of outputs but did
> not find any solutions.

Depending on kernel version and host architecture, parameters could be
stored in another pt_regs that is pointed to by the first argument.
You might want to google/grep for ARCH_HAS_SYSCALL_WRAPPER, if you are
interested.

But I'd recommend to just use BPF_KSYSCALL() macro in combination with
SEC("ksyscall/openat") program type, which abstracts all that away.
See [0] for a simple example.

Also, I heard that it might be best to use a per-syscall tracepoint
instead of kprobe, so you might want to experiment with that as well.
Tracepoints might be faster than kprobe, but I'd benchmark this first.

  [0] https://github.com/libbpf/libbpf-bootstrap/blob/master/examples/c/ksyscall.bpf.c