* Fwd: AX500 support quirks
       [not found] <CAGYwnb=p38NMpWY=wLiPRE7eUDfjE_SyNS9zQ9W7Nhpy6hn+WQ@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2022-01-26 11:02 ` Patricio Ferraggi Ares
From: Patricio Ferraggi Ares @ 2022-01-26 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath11k

Hi,

My name is Patricio, I am a fellow software developer and user of the
Dell XPS 9310 (AX500 version). First of all, I wanted to thank you for
all your hard work bringing support for this model, thanks to you, I
have been able to use my laptop with Linux almost since I got it.

This is not a bug report in any way, I just would like to gain some
knowledge on the subject and you might be the perfect person for my
questions.

I noticed that although all distros use the Linux kernel, support for
this hardware is not the same across all Linux distros. To be more
specific, Ubuntu-based distros have had working wifi and Bluetooth for
almost a year now, although there are some problems like resuming from
deep sleep,  both wifi and Bluetooth work right away on installation,
at the moment I am using Pop OS with Linux kernel 5.15.5 as my main
driver. On the other hand, arch-based distros dont' have working BT,
as you can see here and here. The wifi is working but Bluetooth
sometimes doesn't turn on and when it does it cannot properly connect
to devices. This happens across multiple arch-based distros and kernel
versions, even if I try kernel versions that work fine in PopOS, they
don't in Arch.

So finally, my questions:

Why is there this inconsistency of support between distros when
theoretically, they are all Linux?
Why is it that if Arch is always updated, in this particular case
their hardware support is lacking compared to ubuntu?
And finally, do you have a working configuration with wifi and
Bluetooth? if that is the case could you tell me your distro, kernel,
firmware, system firmware versions?

Sorry for the long email, I wanted to be as explicit as possible.
Have a great day.

Kind regards,
Patricio Ferraggi Ares

* Re: Fwd: AX500 support quirks
@ 2022-01-27 12:29   ` Kalle Valo
From: Kalle Valo @ 2022-01-27 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patricio Ferraggi Ares; +Cc: ath11k

Patricio Ferraggi Ares <pattferraggi@gmail.com> writes:

> My name is Patricio, I am a fellow software developer and user of the
> Dell XPS 9310 (AX500 version). First of all, I wanted to thank you for
> all your hard work bringing support for this model, thanks to you, I
> have been able to use my laptop with Linux almost since I got it.
>
> This is not a bug report in any way, I just would like to gain some
> knowledge on the subject and you might be the perfect person for my
> questions.
>
> I noticed that although all distros use the Linux kernel, support for
> this hardware is not the same across all Linux distros. To be more
> specific, Ubuntu-based distros have had working wifi and Bluetooth for
> almost a year now, although there are some problems like resuming from
> deep sleep,  both wifi and Bluetooth work right away on installation,
> at the moment I am using Pop OS with Linux kernel 5.15.5 as my main
> driver. On the other hand, arch-based distros dont' have working BT,
> as you can see here and here. The wifi is working but Bluetooth
> sometimes doesn't turn on and when it does it cannot properly connect
> to devices. This happens across multiple arch-based distros and kernel
> versions, even if I try kernel versions that work fine in PopOS, they
> don't in Arch.
>
> So finally, my questions:
>
> Why is there this inconsistency of support between distros when
> theoretically, they are all Linux?
> Why is it that if Arch is always updated, in this particular case
> their hardware support is lacking compared to ubuntu?

This is something you need to ask Ubuntu, or check from their git
history or package changelogs. But in general distros make changes to
the kernel, some of them even quite drastic, so behaviour between
distros can be different. My guess is that Ubuntu had custom changes to
ath11k, maybe they backported patches?

> And finally, do you have a working configuration with wifi and
> Bluetooth? if that is the case could you tell me your distro, kernel,
> firmware, system firmware versions?

I also use Dell XPS 13 9310 with QCA6390 as my daily driver (no pun
intended) and I have no issues with wifi. BIOS is 3.1.0 from 07/22/2021.
I'm a debian guy so I have Debian 10 and use connman, but
network-manager should work as well. I compile my own kernel from my
ath.git master branch[1], but with QCA6390 I would expect stock v5.16
release to work fine. For WCN6855 I recommend to use v5.17.

Firmware version is WLAN.HST.1.0.1-05266-QCAHSTSWPLZ_V2_TO_X86-1.

I don't use Bluetooth so can't comment on that.

[1] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/kvalo/ath.git/

--
https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-wireless/list/

https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/developers/documentation/submittingpatches

* Re: Fwd: AX500 support quirks
@ 2022-01-27 13:28     ` Mark Herbert
From: Mark Herbert @ 2022-01-27 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kalle Valo, Patricio Ferraggi Ares; +Cc: ath11k

I use Gentoo with very custom kernel (ath11k master-pending backported +
more bleeding edge and experimental features). So it is hard for me to
say why bnary distributes have it all so different.

When I got my 9310 in August 2021 it was completely unisable because of
ath11k no matter of distribution, but now the situation is quite
different - thanks to Kalle and team.

The only issue now is to wait till those new features will land into
mainstream distributions which sometimes prefer to stay on so called
"stable"  kernels for ages. They maybe stable if your hardware is  from
stone age, but for new hardware like 9310 "stable"  kernel is stabe in
only one aspect - it is not working and will never do.  In all
distributions there are usually packages with newer "experimental"
kernels that are available but will not be installed by default, but you
can install the packages and enjoy working system.

For ath11k /dell 9310 the best will be 5.17 which is in rc1 now, but I
guess 5.16.3 released today will also be fully usable. Just need to get
new firmware from Kalle's git as the firmware in linux firmware package
is absolute junk more that 1 year old.

As for bluetooth - it is working perfectly, but it is not an USB module
as intel. It is hci_uart , so you need to have uart bt support built is
as well as ath3k bt firmware loading and btqca extensions. And aldo the
firmware is required (available in regular linux-firmware )

Here is my log of bt initialization. All working well.

[    4.930758] hci_uart_qca serial0-0: failed to acquire enable gpio
[    4.932732] Bluetooth: hci0: setting up ROME/QCA6390
[    4.936750] Bluetooth: hci0: Frame reassembly failed (-84)
[    5.254533] Bluetooth: hci0: QCA Product ID   :0x00000010
[    5.256045] Bluetooth: hci0: QCA SOC Version  :0x400a0200
[    5.257636] Bluetooth: hci0: QCA ROM Version  :0x00000200
[    5.259263] Bluetooth: hci0: QCA Patch Version:0x00000d2b
[    5.260790] Bluetooth: hci0: QCA controller version 0x02000200
[    5.262228] Bluetooth: hci0: QCA Downloading qca/htbtfw20.tlv
[    6.210557] Bluetooth: hci0: QCA Downloading qca/htnv20.bin
[    6.438691] Bluetooth: hci0: QCA setup on UART is completed

@ 2022-01-27 13:40       ` Kalle Valo
From: Kalle Valo @ 2022-01-27 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Herbert; +Cc: Patricio Ferraggi Ares, ath11k

Mark Herbert <mark.herbert42@gmail.com> writes:

> For ath11k /dell 9310 the best will be 5.17 which is in rc1 now, but I
> guess 5.16.3 released today will also be fully usable. Just need to
> get new firmware from Kalle's git as the firmware in linux firmware
> package is absolute junk more that 1 year old.

BTW, I'm trying to update linux-firmware but it's currently blocked by
license issues:

https://lkml.kernel.org/r/CA+5PVA4WEuJDB3OCKfYK-BPaccpVWd9t_au9S7MCEtpy7cdF-A@mail.gmail.com

--

@ 2022-01-27 13:58       ` Patricio Ferraggi Ares
From: Patricio Ferraggi Ares @ 2022-01-27 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Herbert; +Cc: Kalle Valo, ath11k

Hi Mark, thanks for answering back. Generally, I would agree with you
that newer hardware requires distros that update frequently to get
those drivers in, but in this situation, I find it very strange is the
other way around.

More updated distros like arch-based ones have no functioning BT,
while older distros like ubuntu-based ones have both working BT and
WiFi. It might be the case that the arch distros I tried simply did
not enable the modules you mentioned.
I am not sure what is going on.

I will give a try your recommendations and see if can make some progress.

Thanks

@ 2022-01-27 18:33         ` Mark Herbert
From: Mark Herbert @ 2022-01-27 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patricio Ferraggi Ares; +Cc: Kalle Valo, ath11k

Hi Patricio,

As I see it there are DIY distributives like Gentoo or Arch that are
targeted to the people who has no issues to patch and compie new
kernel.  So they do not care much to backport any new drivers to old
kernels. Who want it - will do it.

And distributions like Ubunto or Fedora  that are targeted to out-of-the
box usage.  There the developers try to backport everything, compile
standard kernel with all the features and so on.

SO maybe you need to choose the correct distribution.  Do you want to
make a distribution highly optimized for your hardware and your usage
(and willin to spend some time and effort for this) - or do you prefer
to have general distribution that will work on any hardware including
the one you have.  Linux can offer you  a choice.

I've choosen Gentoo (after slackware (started from 0.98 long long ago,
redhat,suse, debian) - just because I have enough knowledge and
experience to build system for my hardware and usage. From other side I
understand that if I take my ssd from 9310 and plug it in Ryzen based
laptop it will not even boot as all my binaries are compiled to use
every single Intel feature availabe on intel Tigerlake.

So just select a proper distribution for your needs and tour skills. As
for new features of new hardware - they will sooner or later land into
mainstream and all the concervative distributions - but it will take
time. As for AX500 the proper support is not in the mainline yet. I bet
Ubuntu gives you WiFi + BT but your energy saving features are crap (CPU
never goes below PC3 state ), and hibernate/suspend makes you trouble
(or you do not use it or do not care if it does not wake up 50% of
times).  And you have 2 choices - wait when all the recent development
from this mailin list land to mainstream or take the latest code from
Kalle's git and do it yourself.

@ 2022-01-31  9:30           ` Patricio Ferraggi Ares
From: Patricio Ferraggi Ares @ 2022-01-31  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Herbert; +Cc: Kalle Valo, ath11k

Hi,

So I decided to give it a go, I prefer to dive more into Linux and
have a distro that I enjoy using than the one that plays it safe and
has "everything" working but I hate it.
My Linux partition is just for my personal use (my windows partition
is for paying the bills) at the end so why not enjoy it.

I am currently running:

Distro: Arch Linux
Kernel: 5.16.3-arch1-1
Linux firmware: linux-firmware 20220119.0c6a7b3-2
System firmware: 3.4.0

The wifi works out of the box, always connects and I haven't had any
issues whatsoever.

BT still a different story:
Some boots I can't connect to devices, some boots I can't find
devices, some boots BT works fine.
When it doesn't work I get errors like:

Reading QCA version information failed (-110)
hci0: Frame reassembly failed (-84)

What would recommend my next step would be for trying to solve this
issue? I assume getting the last firmware from kalle's git would be a
good idea? if so is this the appropriate git
https://github.com/kvalo/ath11k-firmware?
It would be nice if you guys could give me a few steps to follow.

I tried the following thing:

I cloned https://github.com/kvalo/ath11k-firmware. Took the files from
that repo regarding the QCA6390 and copied them to the lib folder as
described here:

# Install firmware
cd ../ath11k-firmware
sudo mkdir -p /lib/firmware/ath11k/QCA6390/hw2.0/
sudo cp QCA6390/hw2.0/1.0.1/[LATEST_VERSION]/*.bin
/lib/firmware/ath11k/QCA6390/hw2.0/
sudo cp QCA6390/hw2.0/board-2.bin /lib/firmware/ath11k/QCA6390/hw2.0/

I also had to xz the files since now arch-linux is compressing firmware files
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/72899

Unfortunately when trying that I lost wifi and bt altogether. It might
be caused because Arch is using a different compression algorithm or
something. I went back to my original files for now.

Thanks for hearing me out. Have a nice week.

El jue, 27 ene 2022 a la(s) 19:33, Mark Herbert

@ 2022-01-31  9:57             ` Mark Herbert
From: Mark Herbert @ 2022-01-31  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patricio Ferraggi Ares; +Cc: Kalle Valo, ath11k

I had no such problems with bt on my XPS 13.

As soon as I made it work compiling all necessary modules it just works.

Maybe the issue it with bluez version or somethng. I use bluez 5.63 from
main Gentoo tree and blueman 2.2.2 as desktop utility. Mice (apple mm2 ,
MAd Catz RAT M), sony headphones WH-H900N - all works well.

Getting fresh firmware from Kalle's git is always a good idea anyway.

@ 2022-01-31 11:06             ` Kalle Valo
From: Kalle Valo @ 2022-01-31 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patricio Ferraggi Ares; +Cc: Mark Herbert, ath11k

Patricio Ferraggi Ares <pattferraggi@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> So I decided to give it a go, I prefer to dive more into Linux and
> have a distro that I enjoy using than the one that plays it safe and
> has "everything" working but I hate it.
> My Linux partition is just for my personal use (my windows partition
> is for paying the bills) at the end so why not enjoy it.
>
> I am currently running:
>
> Distro: Arch Linux
> Kernel: 5.16.3-arch1-1
> Linux firmware: linux-firmware 20220119.0c6a7b3-2
> System firmware: 3.4.0
>
> The wifi works out of the box, always connects and I haven't had any
> issues whatsoever.
>
> BT still a different story:
> Some boots I can't connect to devices, some boots I can't find
> devices, some boots BT works fine.
> When it doesn't work I get errors like:
>
> Reading QCA version information failed (-110)
> hci0: Frame reassembly failed (-84)
>
> What would recommend my next step would be for trying to solve this
> issue? I assume getting the last firmware from kalle's git would be a
> good idea? if so is this the appropriate git
> https://github.com/kvalo/ath11k-firmware?
> It would be nice if you guys could give me a few steps to follow.

From software point of view Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are separate, ath11k
driver handles Wi-Fi and there's a separate driver (and firmware) for
Bluetooth. I'm not familiar enough with Bluetooth implementation to help
much, but make sure you have the latest Bluetooth firmware. Also the
Bluetooth driver might have had fixes since v5.16.

--

@ 2022-02-15 11:22               ` Patricio Ferraggi Ares
From: Patricio Ferraggi Ares @ 2022-02-15 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kalle Valo; +Cc: Mark Herbert, ath11k

Hey folks,

So. I am still using arch linux, although it is a tricky situation. I
have wifi working (as long as I boot with fallback initramfs and don't
update my system), still no Bluetooth. I am currently using a bt
dongle to cover that.

I have decided to give it a try and dive deeper by tying to compile my
own kernel with the necessary modules and firmware for Wifi and
Bluetooth.

Could you guys share with me on which repos (apart from the kernel
source) I should use in order to build something based on the latest
linux-mainline kernel?
I am unaware of how should I include the latest ath11k drivers from
Kalle and which modules I need in order to make BT work.

I would really appreciate it if you could give me some links to the
repos, some info, and maybe a basic strategy on how to approach this.
I will search and learn from that starting point.

Thanks for all your help.
Patricio Ferraggi Ares

@ 2022-02-15 11:29               ` Patricio Ferraggi Ares
From: Patricio Ferraggi Ares @ 2022-02-15 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kalle Valo; +Cc: Mark Herbert, ath11k

Hey folks,

So. I am still using arch linux, but not everything is working.
I have decided to give it a try and dive deeper by trying to compile
my own kernel with the necessary modules and firmware for Wifi and
Bluetooth.

Could you guys share with me which repos (apart from the kernel

@ 2022-02-15 12:56                 ` Kalle Valo
From: Kalle Valo @ 2022-02-15 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patricio Ferraggi Ares; +Cc: Mark Herbert, ath11k

Patricio Ferraggi Ares <pattferraggi@gmail.com> writes:

> Hey folks,
>
> So. I am still using arch linux, but not everything is working.
> I have decided to give it a try and dive deeper by trying to compile
> my own kernel with the necessary modules and firmware for Wifi and
> Bluetooth.
>
> Could you guys share with me which repos (apart from the kernel
> source) I should use in order to build something based on the latest
> linux-mainline kernel?
> I am unaware of how should I include the latest ath11k drivers from
> Kalle and which modules I need in order to make BT work.
> I would really appreciate it if you could give me some links to the
> repos, some info, and maybe a basic strategy on how to approach this.
> I will search and learn from that starting point.

Arch wiki is a great source for information:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/kernel

Arch seems to have a linux-mainline package:

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/linux-mainline

But questions about compiling the kernel should be sent to distro
support channels as they know best how their distro works, not to ath11k
list.

--

@ 2022-02-15 13:03                   ` Patricio Ferraggi Ares
From: Patricio Ferraggi Ares @ 2022-02-15 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kalle Valo; +Cc: Mark Herbert, ath11k

Hi Kalle,

Well but I don't really need info on how to build the kernel, I can
get that from the arch docs as you pointed out.
What I do need is information on how should I include your latest
changes on the ath11k and from Mark which modules he included while
building his kernel to get Bluetooth.

Basically anything that is specific to the dell xps 9310

Building the kernel with the default arch configuration would make no
difference in terms of hardware support.

@ 2022-02-15 18:42                     ` Mark Herbert
From: Mark Herbert @ 2022-02-15 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patricio Ferraggi Ares, Kalle Valo; +Cc: ath11k

Hi Patricio,

For bluetooth you do not need latest ath11k patches.  It is working fine
for a pretty long time already, and kernel 5.16 is OK.

But there is an issue with 5.17-rc kernel where  bluetooth scanning is
broken for a while, at  least on my gentoo+9310

 From what I read in your mails looks like the questions are mostly
archlinux specific - so it is better to ask arch community.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Dell_XPS_13_(9310)  - wiki page.
Important point set grub parameter memmap=12M\\\$20M.   As I see the
ath11k WiFi/Bt status in the wiki is still red.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Talk:Dell_XPS_13_(9310)  - one more
source of experience with arch and Dell 9310.

Also try to ask at bbs.archlinux.org - kernel and hardware

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewforum.php?id=22

I am writing it on my Xps 9310 with ath11k using bluetooth mouse and
listening music in BT headphones connected to it - so for sure i know it
can work.  But I do not use arch - so do not know how to make arch work.
But I used a lot of info from arch Wiki and arch forums to make my
gentoo work.

@ 2022-02-16  6:58                       ` Kalle Valo
From: Kalle Valo @ 2022-02-16  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Herbert; +Cc: Patricio Ferraggi Ares, ath11k

Mark Herbert <mark.herbert42@gmail.com> writes:

> For bluetooth you do not need latest ath11k patches.  It is working
> fine for a pretty long time already, and kernel 5.16 is OK.
>
> But there is an issue with 5.17-rc kernel where  bluetooth scanning is
> broken for a while, at  least on my gentoo+9310
>
> From what I read in your mails looks like the questions are mostly
> archlinux specific - so it is better to ask arch community.
>
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Dell_XPS_13_(9310)  - wiki page.
> Important point set grub parameter memmap=12M\\\$20M.   As I see the
> ath11k WiFi/Bt status in the wiki is still red.

With QCA6390 firmware WLAN.HST.1.0.1-05266-QCAHSTSWPLZ_V2_TO_X86-1 the
memmap hack is not needed anymore. Also WCN6855 does not need it.