* [Buildroot] Using two package mutually exclusive
@ 2022-06-16  6:16 Oscar Gomez Fuente
From: Oscar Gomez Fuente @ 2022-06-16  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi everyone,

I am having some kind of problems using Config.in in my own packages.
I have my own directory on: [BUILDROOT_PATH]/packages/my_folder

And I have two packages: package_a and package_b:

1. [BUILDROOT_PATH]/packages/my_folder/package_a
2. [BUILDROOT_PATH]/packages/my_folder/package_b

The Config.in in the package_a is that:

config BR2_PACKAGE_A
    bool "a"
    default n
    depends on !BR2_PACKAGE_B
comment "You cannot use the package A because package B is selected"
    depends on BR2_PACKAGE_B

And the Config.in in the package_b is like that:

config BR2_PACKAGE_B
    bool "b"
    default n
    depends on !BR2_PACKAGE_A
comment "You cannot use the package B because package A is selected"
    depends on BR2_PACKAGE_A

Therefore, when package A is selected it shouldn't have to appear the
package B and viceversa, but it didn't work and I don't know why.

I realize that if I  select and deselect another different package on
the same page, it works. It seems to be the screen is not updated.

Does anyone know why?

Oscar.

* Re: [Buildroot] Using two package mutually exclusive
@ 2022-06-16  7:36 ` Nicolas Cavallari
From: Nicolas Cavallari @ 2022-06-16  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oscar Gomez Fuente, buildroot

On 16/06/2022 08:16, Oscar Gomez Fuente wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>

> I am having some kind of problems using Config.in in my own packages.
> I have my own directory on: [BUILDROOT_PATH]/packages/my_folder
>
> And I have two packages: package_a and package_b:
>
> 1. [BUILDROOT_PATH]/packages/my_folder/package_a
> 2. [BUILDROOT_PATH]/packages/my_folder/package_b
>
> The Config.in in the package_a is that:
>
> config BR2_PACKAGE_A
>      bool "a"
>      default n
>      depends on !BR2_PACKAGE_B
> comment "You cannot use the package A because package B is selected"
>      depends on BR2_PACKAGE_B
>
> And the Config.in in the package_b is like that:
>
> config BR2_PACKAGE_B
>      bool "b"
>      default n
>      depends on !BR2_PACKAGE_A
> comment "You cannot use the package B because package A is selected"
>      depends on BR2_PACKAGE_A
>
> Therefore, when package A is selected it shouldn't have to appear the
> package B and viceversa, but it didn't work and I don't know why.
>
> I realize that if I  select and deselect another different package on
> the same page, it works. It seems to be the screen is not updated.
>
> Does anyone know why?

You are also probably getting a warning about a circular dependency in the
console. This is because Kconfig's dependency resolution is fairly limited.

The easiest way to fix it is to add a "depend on !BR_OTHER_PACKAGE" on only one
package.  This is enough to prevent both from being selected at the same time
and keep Kconfig happy.