* enabling rt preempt
@ 2020-12-16  8:30 Stephane ANCELOT
From: Stephane ANCELOT @ 2020-12-16  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-rt-users

Hi,

I have downloaded latest LTS kernel 5.4 .

For unknown reasons, I dont understand why I can't enable full rt preempt,

I enabled Embedded system to enable expert mode.

But I have not the full rt option available.

Regards

Steph

* Re: enabling rt preempt
@ 2020-12-16  8:36 ` Lukas Bulwahn
From: Lukas Bulwahn @ 2020-12-16  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephane ANCELOT; +Cc: linux-rt-users

On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 9:31 AM Stephane ANCELOT
<sancelot@numalliance.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have downloaded latest LTS kernel 5.4 .
>
> For unknown reasons, I dont understand why I can't enable full rt preempt,

Well, PREEMPT_RT is not available on v5.4 without the PREEMPT_RT patch set.

You can check that there is no architecture support for PREEMPT_RT on
the stable kernel. Just look at the Kconfig files defining those
config symbols.

Lukas

* Re: enabling rt preempt
@ 2020-12-16  8:39   ` Stephane ANCELOT
From: Stephane ANCELOT @ 2020-12-16  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lukas Bulwahn; +Cc: linux-rt-users

Le 16/12/2020 à 09:36, Lukas Bulwahn a écrit :
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 9:31 AM Stephane ANCELOT
> <sancelot@numalliance.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have downloaded latest LTS kernel 5.4 .
>>
>> For unknown reasons, I dont understand why I can't enable full rt preempt,
>>
> Well, PREEMPT_RT is not available on v5.4 without the PREEMPT_RT patch set.
Sorry, I thought it was now part of the mainstream kernel. I have not
understand :-\
> You can check that there is no architecture support for PREEMPT_RT on
> the stable kernel. Just look at the Kconfig files defining those
> config symbols.
>
> Lukas

* Re: enabling rt preempt
@ 2020-12-16 10:14     ` Lukas Bulwahn
From: Lukas Bulwahn @ 2020-12-16 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephane ANCELOT; +Cc: linux-rt-users

On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 9:39 AM Stephane ANCELOT
<sancelot@numalliance.com> wrote:

> Le 16/12/2020 à 09:36, Lukas Bulwahn a écrit :
> > On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 9:31 AM Stephane ANCELOT
> > <sancelot@numalliance.com> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have downloaded latest LTS kernel 5.4 .
> >>
> >> For unknown reasons, I dont understand why I can't enable full rt preempt,
> >>
> > Well, PREEMPT_RT is not available on v5.4 without the PREEMPT_RT patch set.
> Sorry, I thought it was now part of the mainstream kernel. I have not
> understand :-\

PREEMPT_RT will be part of mainline on Christmas, we simply do not
know which Christmas yet... maybe on the next one?

If you rely on real-time Linux being in mainline, we can discuss
off-list which possibilities you have to ensure that that happens.

Lukas

* Re: enabling rt preempt
@ 2020-12-16 12:06     ` Luis Claudio R. Goncalves
From: Luis Claudio R. Goncalves @ 2020-12-16 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephane ANCELOT; +Cc: Lukas Bulwahn, linux-rt-users

On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 09:39:31AM +0100, Stephane ANCELOT wrote:

> Le 16/12/2020 à 09:36, Lukas Bulwahn a écrit :
> > On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 9:31 AM Stephane ANCELOT
> > <sancelot@numalliance.com> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have downloaded latest LTS kernel 5.4 .
> > >
> > > For unknown reasons, I dont understand why I can't enable full rt preempt,
> > >
> > Well, PREEMPT_RT is not available on v5.4 without the PREEMPT_RT patch set.
> Sorry, I thought it was now part of the mainstream kernel. I have not
> understand :-\

The merge into upstream is an ongoing effort and is not complete yet.

Here is the announce for the latest available PREEMPT_RT patch for v5.4
(v5.4.82-rt45):

    https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-rt-users/msg23022.html

In the message you will find instructions to get the code.

Best regards,
Luis

> > You can check that there is no architecture support for PREEMPT_RT on
> > the stable kernel. Just look at the Kconfig files defining those
> > config symbols.
> >
> > Lukas
---end quoted text---