* Suggestion: Merge of sxgbe to stmmac
@ 2017-04-10 13:42 Joao Pinto
From: Joao Pinto @ 2017-04-10 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Miller, bh74.an, ks.giri, vipul.pandya
  Cc: Giuseppe CAVALLARO, Alexandre Torgue, netdev, Carlos Palminha

Dear Byungho, Girish and David,

Today I was requested to analyse the Synopsys XGMAC IP support in the Linux
kernel and I found AMD' xgbe and Samsung's sxgbe drivers.

Samsung' driver has the same architecture as stmmac, so I am sending this e-mail
to suggest the merge of sxgbe to stmmac.

Currently stmmac supports older cores like MAC 10/100/1000 but also one of the
latest such as eQOS. The idea would be to add XGMAC support to stmmac by
creating a dwxgmac_core.c and dwxgmac_dma.c with all XGMAC operations related to
MAC and DMA and use the common infrastructure.

This would bring many advantages like:

a) xgmac support would be available for all Synopsys XGMAC IP users
b) stmmac has a great and wide community of users that maintain it, assuring
quality and latest features availability
c) avoid replication of code and this way we can work together and achieve
better results
d) maintaince becomes easier

I would like to hear your thoughts about the subject.

Thanks,
Joao

only message in thread, other threads:[~2017-04-10 13:44 UTC | newest]