* I need some help with gfxterm
@ 2006-09-09 20:10 Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2006-09-09 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

I was exploring the new video subsystem of GRUB2 (1.94), I followed the
instructions in GRUB wiki about using gfxterm.
This what I did:
	insmod video
	insmod vbe
	insmod font
	font (fd1)/unifont.pff
	insmod gfxterm
	set gfxmode 1024x768x32
	insmod terminal
OK, no errors till now, then:
	terminal gfxterm
here I got that error:
	error: Can't locate valid adapter for mode
and nothing changes.
BTW I'm trying this under qemu.
--
Khaled Hosny

Egyptian GNU/Linux user
Member of Arabeyes translation team [www.arabeyes.org]
My Blog: [khalid_hosny.manalaa.net]

* Re: I need some help with gfxterm
@ 2006-09-14 13:41 ` Vesa Jääskeläinen
From: Vesa Jääskeläinen @ 2006-09-14 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

Khaled Hosny wrote:
> I was exploring the new video subsystem of GRUB2 (1.94), I followed the
> instructions in GRUB wiki about using gfxterm.
> This what I did:
> 	insmod video
> 	insmod vbe
> 	insmod font
> 	font (fd1)/unifont.pff
> 	insmod gfxterm
> 	set gfxmode 1024x768x32
> 	insmod terminal
> OK, no errors till now, then:
> 	terminal gfxterm
> here I got that error:
> 	error: Can't locate valid adapter for mode
> and nothing changes.
> BTW I'm trying this under qemu.

Hi,

Well, perhaps QEMU just doesn't support that mode...

I tried this sequence with exception (set gfxmode=1024x768x32) in VMWare
and it works nicely. You can specify "set gfxmode=1024x768" to auto
detect best color mode.

You can use vbeinfo module to determine available modes.

insmod vbeinfo
vbeinfo

Thanks,
Vesa Jääskeläinen

* Re: I need some help with gfxterm
@ 2006-09-28 10:01   ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2006-09-28 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

On 9/14/06, Vesa Jääskeläinen <chaac@nic.fi> wrote:
> Hi,

Sorry for my late reply.

> Well, perhaps QEMU just doesn't support that mode...
>
> I tried this sequence with exception (set gfxmode=1024x768x32) in VMWare
> and it works nicely. You can specify "set gfxmode=1024x768" to auto
> detect best color mode.

Thanks for the tip, "set gfxmode=1024x768" works fine. I want to load
these modules in "grub.cfg" file, puting them in the top of the file
doesn't work but making a menu entery that load them works fine, is
this normal ?

Now I'm able to display menu enteries in Arabic. Although grub2
deosn't support RTL nor Arabic shaping, a quicke workaround is to
store the Arabic text in grub.cfg already Shapped by using a tool like
fribidi2 (cvs branch) or "mu"  [ftp://foolab.org/tmp/mu-fribidi.zip]

$ mu < grub.cfg > grub_ar.cfg

then coping "grub_ar.cfg" to grub/grub.cfg.

Here a screenshoot without RTL and shaping
[http://khalid_hosny.manalaa.net/files/khalid_hosny/images/grub3.preview.png]
, and this one with
[http://khalid_hosny.manalaa.net/files/khalid_hosny/images/grub2.png].
Also I wrote a mini-howto in Arabic