* Re: AX25 disconnect patch and ROSE socket failure
       [not found]   ` <45792400-294f-b496-9c7e-679d19614884@free.fr>
@ 2021-09-19 12:41     ` Dave van der Locht
From: Dave van der Locht @ 2021-09-19 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernard Pidoux , f6bvp
  Cc: Brian, Cathryn Mataga, David Ranch, linux-hams,
	Ralf Bächle DL5RB, David Miller, Dmitry Vyukov,
	Thomas Osterried, Charles Schuman, Richard Stearn, Basil Gunn

Hi Bernard,

Not sure about Ralf's current involvement with Linux Hamradio but he
isn't completely disappeared from the radars. Recently I had some
conversations with him regarding the stuck sockets bug and a security
issue I noticed with kernel 5.4 and up where NETROM frames are stuffed
with random fragments of data from memory. After a couple of messages
back and forward it went completely silent unfortunately, same like
with the stuck sockets bugs.

I agree on your thoughts about the maintainer succession, but who's
able, willing and having time to do so?
Currently it's getting only worser and worser for some years and even
security flaws don't seem to be taken serious while they should. Makes
me wondering if there's still anyone involved with Linux Hamradio
development at all except for Ralf (if he stil is...).

73! Dave

@ 2021-09-19 15:22       ` David Ranch
From: David Ranch @ 2021-09-19 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave van der Locht, Bernard Pidoux , f6bvp
  Cc: Brian, Cathryn Mataga, linux-hams, Ralf Bächle DL5RB,
	David Miller, Dmitry Vyukov, Thomas Osterried, Charles Schuman,
	Richard Stearn, Basil Gunn

Actually, if you look at the linux-hams@vger.kernel.org archives, you'll
see some recent kernel patches submitted by Ralf for some issues:

https://marc.info/?l=linux-hams&w=2&r=1&s=Baechle&q=a

The issue I see is that I don't see any acknowledgement and "approved"
replies showing that the diffs are making into the mainline sources.
Maybe they are making it in and I just don't see those responses from
say David Miller, etc. for other commits that come in through this email
alias.  The other challenge is that the fixes Ralf is submitting aren't
the big issues we're facing today. I'm talking about bugs like the
hung-after-disconnect AX.25 connections issue, minor AX.25 packet loss
issues, etc.  I think all of us want to see those get fixed first.

--David
KI6ZHD

@ 2021-09-19 15:39         ` Roland Schwarz
From: Roland Schwarz @ 2021-09-19 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hams; +Cc: David Ranch

Hallo David,

On 19.09.21 at 17:22 wrote David Ranch:

> Actually, if you look at the linux-hams@vger.kernel.org archives, you'll
> see some recent kernel patches submitted by Ralf for some issues:

Yes indeed, this is what Ralf told me by phone. He is waiting for
approvement. He also told me that he still is distracted by the cleanup
efforts after the severe flooding.

> ... I'm talking about bugs like the
> hung-after-disconnect AX.25 connections issue, minor AX.25 packet loss
> issues, etc.  I think all of us want to see those get fixed first.

It seems like the proposed solution will not fix the root cause of the
problem. I didn't quite understand, but under certain circumstances it
seems to be possible to get up to a quadruple call of the function.
Anyway, Ralf told me that he will take another look at the proposed fix.

Roland
oe1rsa

   _  _  | Roland Schwarz
  |_)(_  |
  | \__) | mailto:roland.schwarz@blackspace.at
________| http://www.blackspace.at

* Re: AX25 disconnect patch and ROSE socket failure
@ 2021-09-19 18:07           ` Dave van der Locht
From: Dave van der Locht @ 2021-09-19 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland Schwarz; +Cc: linux-hams, David Ranch

Hi Roland,

> Hallo David,
>
> On 19.09.21 at 17:22 wrote David Ranch:
> >
> > ... I'm talking about bugs like the
> > hung-after-disconnect AX.25 connections issue, minor AX.25 packet loss
> > issues, etc.  I think all of us want to see those get fixed first.
>
> It seems like the proposed solution will not fix the root cause of the
> problem. I didn't quite understand, but under certain circumstances it
> seems to be possible to get up to a quadruple call of the function.
> Anyway, Ralf told me that he will take another look at the proposed fix.

Well... That problem is there for quite some years now and there still
isn't a solution. The proposed solution might not fix the root cause,
but it sure helps keeping things working. Personaly I haven't seen ANY
problems or side-effects with using that proposed solution since
kernel 4.9.
And if there are any, I think they're having way less impact than it
currently has. Currently it's pretty useless without patching to be
honoust.

Although that proposed solution might not be the root cause I'm
wondering what the real root cause is and why it's still not
researched and fixed after years with everyone complaining about it.
In the mean time it still seems better to have a good work-around than
a pretty useless AX.25 stack.

73! Dave

* Re: AX25 disconnect patch and ROSE socket failure
@ 2021-09-20 10:53             ` Roland Schwarz
From: Roland Schwarz @ 2021-09-20 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave van der Locht; +Cc: linux-hams, David Ranch

Hallo Dave,

On 19.09.21 at 20:07 wrote Dave van der Locht:

> Well... That problem is there for quite some years now and there still
> isn't a solution.

Have you seen Ralfs comment?
> I wasn't even aware of these patches and an internet search didn't turn
> up anything.

So it looks to me as if no one had tried to contact the maintainer via
this list before. I don't believe it is the duty of a maintainer to
track all possible places on the net for issues, do you?

> Although that proposed solution might not be the root cause I'm
> wondering what the real root cause is and why it's still not
> researched and fixed after years with everyone complaining about it.

Again it's two months at best and this is not much time.

> In the mean time it still seems better to have a good work-around than
> a pretty useless AX.25 stack.

The work around already is there. One just need to compile with the
patch in place.

73 de Roland oe1rsa

   _  _  | Roland Schwarz
  |_)(_  |

@ 2021-09-20 12:17               ` Dave van der Locht
From: Dave van der Locht @ 2021-09-20 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland Schwarz; +Cc: linux-hams, David Ranch

Hi Roland,

Op ma 20 sep. 2021 om 12:53 schreef Roland Schwarz
<roland.schwarz@blackspace.at>:

> Hallo Dave,
>
> On 19.09.21 at 20:07 wrote Dave van der Locht:
>
> > Well... That problem is there for quite some years now and there still
> > isn't a solution.
>
> Have you seen Ralfs comment?
> > I wasn't even aware of these patches and an internet search didn't turn
> > up anything.
>
> So it looks to me as if no one had tried to contact the maintainer via
> this list before. I don't believe it is the duty of a maintainer to
> track all possible places on the net for issues, do you?

I've seen Ralf's comment, which suprised me. I was told by several HAM
application developers that particular patch has been rejected several
times in the past and there are more threads here regarding the issue.
I don't know by who and the technical reason/explanation about it and
its complete history. Of coarse I understand it isn't a task of a
maintainer to keep track of all possible places on the net regarding
this issue.

Hopefully it will be investigated and solved now Ralf is aware of the issue.

> > Although that proposed solution might not be the root cause I'm
> > wondering what the real root cause is and why it's still not
> > researched and fixed after years with everyone complaining about it.
>
> Again it's two months at best and this is not much time.

See my comment above.

> > In the mean time it still seems better to have a good work-around than
> > a pretty useless AX.25 stack.
>
> The work around already is there. One just need to compile with the
> patch in place.

For me and a lot of other users who know how to do it I agree. For
most HAM radio enthousiasts it's been proven to be a big challenge to
do and keep up with kernel updates too.
Currently there's a security issue with kernel 5.4 and up too
regarding NETROM, so for now we're stuck to 4.19 with patch to keep
things stable and safe regarding AX.25 + NETROM.

> 73 de Roland oe1rsa

73! Dave