* Switching to the GitLab bug tracker
@ 2021-05-03 11:16 Thomas Huth
From: Thomas Huth @ 2021-05-03 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: QEMU Developers, qemu-discuss
  Cc: Paolo Bonzini, Alex Bennée, Stefan Hajnoczi, Peter Maydell

  Hi everybody!

As you might have already noticed by some other mails on the qemu-devel
mailing list, we are in progress of switching our bug tracking tool from
Launchpad to Gitlab. The new tracker can now be found here:

  https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/issues

Please note that this has some implications:

1) We likely won't have the possibility anymore to automatically send e-mail
notifications for new bugs to the qemu-devel mailing list. If you want to
get informed about new bugs, please use the notification mechanism from
Gitlab instead. That means, log into your gitlab account, browse to

  https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu

and click on the bell icon at the top of the page to manage your
notifications, e.g. enable notifications for "New issues" there.

2) It should be possible for everybody who has a Gitlab account to open new
bugs. If you are a maintainer of one of the QEMU subsystems, you might want
to help with changing certain aspects of bug tickets, too, e.g. add labels
or assign a ticket to you or somebody else. In that case you need to be
listed as a "Reporter" in the QEMU project, so please then get in touch with
one of the "Owners" of the project (see
https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/project_members ) and ask them to add
you as a "Reporter".

3) Gitlab has a nice mechanism for closing bugs automatically once the fix
gets merged to the master branch. To use this feature, please mark your
commit messages with a "Resolves: <URL-to-the-ticket>" line. See:

https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/project/issues/managing_issues.html#closing-issues-automatically

4) I'm in progress of automatically migrating the open bug tickets from
Launchpad to the Gitlab tracker. If you're interested, please keep an eye on
those tickets and tell me if you spot any oddity there - the script that I'm
using for the migration might not be perfect yet.

  Thomas

* Re: Switching to the GitLab bug tracker
@ 2021-05-04  8:43 ` Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2021-05-04  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Huth
  Cc: Peter Maydell, Paolo Bonzini, Alex Bennée, QEMU Developers,
	qemu-discuss

On Mon, May 03, 2021 at 01:16:51PM +0200, Thomas Huth wrote:
> As you might have already noticed by some other mails on the qemu-devel
> mailing list, we are in progress of switching our bug tracking tool from
> Launchpad to Gitlab. The new tracker can now be found here:
>
>  https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/issues

Thank you for doing this, Thomas!

> 1) We likely won't have the possibility anymore to automatically send e-mail
> notifications for new bugs to the qemu-devel mailing list. If you want to
> get informed about new bugs, please use the notification mechanism from
> Gitlab instead. That means, log into your gitlab account, browse to
>
>  https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu
>
> and click on the bell icon at the top of the page to manage your
> notifications, e.g. enable notifications for "New issues" there.

All maintainers and most regular contributors should follow the issue
tracker so that QEMU developers are aware of new issues. Please do this!

An alternative mechanism is the RSS/Atom feed available by clicking the
"Subscribe to RSS feed" button left of the "New issue" button here:

  https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/issues

Stefan

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Switching to the GitLab bug tracker
@ 2021-05-04 10:20   ` Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
From: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé @ 2021-05-04 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Hajnoczi, Thomas Huth
  Cc: Peter Maydell, qemu-discuss, Alex Bennée, QEMU Developers,
	Paolo Bonzini

On 5/4/21 10:43 AM, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> On Mon, May 03, 2021 at 01:16:51PM +0200, Thomas Huth wrote:
>> As you might have already noticed by some other mails on the qemu-devel
>> mailing list, we are in progress of switching our bug tracking tool from
>> Launchpad to Gitlab. The new tracker can now be found here:
>>
>>  https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/issues
>
> Thank you for doing this, Thomas!
>
>> 1) We likely won't have the possibility anymore to automatically send e-mail
>> notifications for new bugs to the qemu-devel mailing list. If you want to
>> get informed about new bugs, please use the notification mechanism from
>> Gitlab instead. That means, log into your gitlab account, browse to
>>
>>  https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu
>>
>> and click on the bell icon at the top of the page to manage your
>> notifications, e.g. enable notifications for "New issues" there.
>
> All maintainers and most regular contributors should follow the issue
> tracker so that QEMU developers are aware of new issues. Please do this!
>
> An alternative mechanism is the RSS/Atom feed available by clicking the
> "Subscribe to RSS feed" button left of the "New issue" button here:
>
>   https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/issues

You can also subscribe to labels of interest [*] going to
https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/labels

For example in my case I subscribed to receive notifications
only from these labels:

- kind:Bug
- Storage
- pflash
- Fuzzer
- workflow:Merged

What I miss is getting notified when new labels are created...

Regards,

Phil.

[*]
https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/project/labels.html#subscribing-to-labels

* Re: Switching to the GitLab bug tracker
@ 2021-05-05  9:55     ` Stefano Garzarella
From: Stefano Garzarella @ 2021-05-05  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
  Cc: Peter Maydell, Thomas Huth, QEMU Developers, qemu-discuss,
	Stefan Hajnoczi, Paolo Bonzini, Alex Bennée

On Tue, May 04, 2021 at 12:20:03PM +0200, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:
>On 5/4/21 10:43 AM, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
>> On Mon, May 03, 2021 at 01:16:51PM +0200, Thomas Huth wrote:
>>> As you might have already noticed by some other mails on the qemu-devel
>>> mailing list, we are in progress of switching our bug tracking tool from
>>> Launchpad to Gitlab. The new tracker can now be found here:
>>>
>>>  https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/issues
>>
>> Thank you for doing this, Thomas!
>>
>>> 1) We likely won't have the possibility anymore to automatically send e-mail
>>> notifications for new bugs to the qemu-devel mailing list. If you want to
>>> get informed about new bugs, please use the notification mechanism from
>>> Gitlab instead. That means, log into your gitlab account, browse to
>>>
>>>  https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu
>>>
>>> and click on the bell icon at the top of the page to manage your
>>> notifications, e.g. enable notifications for "New issues" there.
>>
>> All maintainers and most regular contributors should follow the issue
>> tracker so that QEMU developers are aware of new issues. Please do this!
>>
>> An alternative mechanism is the RSS/Atom feed available by clicking the
>> "Subscribe to RSS feed" button left of the "New issue" button here:
>>
>>   https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/issues
>
>You can also subscribe to labels of interest [*] going to
>https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/labels
>
>For example in my case I subscribed to receive notifications
>only from these labels:
>
>- kind:Bug
>- Storage
>- pflash
>- Fuzzer
>- workflow:Merged

Cool feature, I also subscribed to some labels.

I was trying to assign a label, for example "Storage" to this issue:
https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/issues/96

but I can't, should I have some special permission/role?

Thanks,
Stefano

* Re: Switching to the GitLab bug tracker
@ 2021-05-05  9:58       ` Daniel P. Berrangé
From: Daniel P. Berrangé @ 2021-05-05  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefano Garzarella
  Cc: Peter Maydell, Thomas Huth, Alex Bennée, QEMU Developers,
	qemu-discuss, Stefan Hajnoczi, Paolo Bonzini,
	Philippe Mathieu-Daudé

On Wed, May 05, 2021 at 11:55:30AM +0200, Stefano Garzarella wrote:
> On Tue, May 04, 2021 at 12:20:03PM +0200, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:

> > > Thank you for doing this, Thomas!

> > > All maintainers and most regular contributors should follow the issue
> > > tracker so that QEMU developers are aware of new issues. Please do this!
> > >
> > > An alternative mechanism is the RSS/Atom feed available by clicking the
> > > "Subscribe to RSS feed" button left of the "New issue" button here:
> > >
> > >   https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/issues
> >
> > You can also subscribe to labels of interest [*] going to
> > https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/labels
> >
> > For example in my case I subscribed to receive notifications
> > only from these labels:
> >
> > - kind:Bug
> > - Storage
> > - pflash
> > - Fuzzer
> > - workflow:Merged
>
> Cool feature, I also subscribed to some labels.
>
> I was trying to assign a label, for example "Storage" to this issue:
> https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/issues/96
>
> but I can't, should I have some special permission/role?

Yes, anyone who is a QEMU maintainer needs to be added to gitlab
project with "Reporter" role to be able to do bug janitoring.

Regards,
Daniel

* Re: Switching to the GitLab bug tracker
@ 2021-05-05  9:58       ` Thomas Huth
From: Thomas Huth @ 2021-05-05  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefano Garzarella, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
  Cc: Peter Maydell, QEMU Developers, qemu-discuss, Stefan Hajnoczi,
	Paolo Bonzini, Alex Bennée

On 05/05/2021 11.55, Stefano Garzarella wrote:
> On Tue, May 04, 2021 at 12:20:03PM +0200, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:

>>> Thank you for doing this, Thomas!

>>> All maintainers and most regular contributors should follow the issue
>>> tracker so that QEMU developers are aware of new issues. Please do this!
>>>
>>> An alternative mechanism is the RSS/Atom feed available by clicking the
>>> "Subscribe to RSS feed" button left of the "New issue" button here:
>>>
>>>   https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/issues
>>
>> You can also subscribe to labels of interest [*] going to
>> https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/labels
>>
>> For example in my case I subscribed to receive notifications
>> only from these labels:
>>
>> - kind:Bug
>> - Storage
>> - pflash
>> - Fuzzer
>> - workflow:Merged
>
> Cool feature, I also subscribed to some labels.
>
> I was trying to assign a label, for example "Storage" to this issue:
> https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/issues/96
>
> but I can't, should I have some special permission/role?

Yes, you need to be at least a "Reporter" in the members list of a project
to be able to add labels. You can ask one of the owners (see
https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/project_members) to add you as a
reporter.

@ 2021-05-05 10:16         ` Stefano Garzarella
From: Stefano Garzarella @ 2021-05-05 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Huth, Daniel P. Berrangé
  Cc: Peter Maydell, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé,
	QEMU Developers, qemu-discuss, Stefan Hajnoczi, Paolo Bonzini,
	Alex Bennée

On Wed, May 05, 2021 at 11:58:45AM +0200, Thomas Huth wrote:
>On 05/05/2021 11.55, Stefano Garzarella wrote:

>>>You can also subscribe to labels of interest [*] going to
>>>https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/labels
>>>
>>>For example in my case I subscribed to receive notifications
>>>only from these labels:
>>>
>>>- kind:Bug
>>>- Storage
>>>- pflash
>>>- Fuzzer
>>>- workflow:Merged
>>
>>Cool feature, I also subscribed to some labels.
>>
>>I was trying to assign a label, for example "Storage" to this issue:
>>https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/issues/96
>>
>>but I can't, should I have some special permission/role?
>
>Yes, you need to be at least a "Reporter" in the members list of a
>project to be able to add labels. You can ask one of the owners (see
>https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/project_members) to add you as a
>reporter.

Thomas, Daniel, thanks for the hint!

Paolo has just added me as a "Reporter".

Stefano

* Re: Switching to the GitLab bug tracker
@ 2021-06-04 10:37         ` Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
From: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé @ 2021-06-04 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael S. Tsirkin
  Cc: Peter Maydell, Thomas Huth, Daniel P. Berrangé,
	QEMU Developers, qemu-discuss, Stefan Hajnoczi, Paolo Bonzini,
	Alex Bennée, Stefano Garzarella

Hi Michael,

On 5/5/21 11:58 AM, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> On Wed, May 05, 2021 at 11:55:30AM +0200, Stefano Garzarella wrote:

>>> You can also subscribe to labels of interest [*] going to
>>> https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/labels
>>>
>>> For example in my case I subscribed to receive notifications
>>> only from these labels:
>>>
>>> - kind:Bug
>>> - Storage
>>> - pflash
>>> - Fuzzer
>>> - workflow:Merged

There are 3 issues related to virtio / vhost not
triaged during the last 3 weeks:

virtio:
https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/issues/248
https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/issues/270

vhost:
https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/issues/277

Would it help your workflow if we add VirtIO and vhost
labels on GitLab?

Regards,

Phil.