* Which ethtool methods should I implement?
@ 2016-12-20  1:29 Timur Tabi
From: Timur Tabi @ 2016-12-20  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netdev

I'm adding support for ethtool to my driver
(drivers/net/ethernet/qualcomm/emac/), and I can't find any meaningful
HOWTO documentation, so I'm not sure which methods I need to implement.

Is there some minimal set of must-have ethtool methods that should be
implemented?  Since I support phylib, I guess I should use
phy_ethtool_get_link_ksettings and phy_ethtool_set_link_ksettings.  What
else?

--
Qualcomm Datacenter Technologies, Inc. as an affiliate of Qualcomm
Technologies, Inc.  Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. is a member of the

* Re: Which ethtool methods should I implement?
@ 2016-12-20  1:40 ` Florian Fainelli
From: Florian Fainelli @ 2016-12-20  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timur Tabi, netdev

On 12/19/2016 05:29 PM, Timur Tabi wrote:
> I'm adding support for ethtool to my driver
> (drivers/net/ethernet/qualcomm/emac/), and I can't find any meaningful
> HOWTO documentation, so I'm not sure which methods I need to implement.
>
> Is there some minimal set of must-have ethtool methods that should be
> implemented?  Since I support phylib, I guess I should use
> phy_ethtool_get_link_ksettings and phy_ethtool_set_link_ksettings.  What
> else?

Ideally, everything that is supported by your HW, but I would with the
basic essential stuff that you would need in case someone reports
problems with your driver like:

- statistics (MAC for sure) and PHY (if possible), -S
- ability to restart auto-negotation (-r)
- reporting of driver information (-i)
- support toggling and reporting NETIF_F_* features -k/-K
--
Florian

* Re: Which ethtool methods should I implement?
@ 2016-12-20 16:38   ` Timur Tabi
From: Timur Tabi @ 2016-12-20 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Fainelli, netdev

On 12/19/2016 07:40 PM, Florian Fainelli wrote:
> Ideally, everything that is supported by your HW, but I would with the
> basic essential stuff that you would need in case someone reports
> problems with your driver like:
>
> - statistics (MAC for sure) and PHY (if possible), -S
> - ability to restart auto-negotation (-r)
> - reporting of driver information (-i)
> - support toggling and reporting NETIF_F_* features -k/-K

Thanks, I'll get this done soon.

I'm confused about netdev_set_default_ethtool_ops().  Is this a function
that drivers are supposed to call?  I only see one driver use it.  Other
drivers just set netdev->ethtool_ops manually.