* idmapd Domain issue
@ 2020-08-08 10:21 Joakim Tjernlund
From: Joakim Tjernlund @ 2020-08-08 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-nfs

We got an old, non existing, domain configured for idmapd, like so:
  Domain = x.y

Now I would like to change that to our new domain but I cannot
change all computers using the old domain at the same time.

Ideally I would like to just add the new domain and then change
clients gradually as time permits.

Currently idmapd does not seems to support this ?
Could multiple domains be added ?

 Jocke

* Re: idmapd Domain issue
@ 2020-08-10 14:13 ` Steve Dickson
From: Steve Dickson @ 2020-08-10 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joakim Tjernlund, linux-nfs

On 8/8/20 6:21 AM, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> We got an old, non existing, domain configured for idmapd, like so:
>   Domain = x.y
>
> Now I would like to change that to our new domain but I cannot
> change all computers using the old domain at the same time.
>
> Ideally I would like to just add the new domain and then change
> clients gradually as time permits.
>
> Currently idmapd does not seems to support this ?
I not sure if that helps... but rpc.idmapd does query DNS
looking for the _nfsv4idmapdomain text record...  Add
     _nfsv4idmapdomain IN TXT "domainname"
 recorded to your DNS

> Could multiple domains be added ?
Patches are always welcome! ;-) But I don't see
how the would ever work and its probably break
a few specs.

steved.

>  Jocke

* Re: idmapd Domain issue
@ 2020-08-10 14:26   ` Joakim Tjernlund
From: Joakim Tjernlund @ 2020-08-10 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-nfs, SteveD

On Mon, 2020-08-10 at 10:13 -0400, Steve Dickson wrote:
> CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.
>

> On 8/8/20 6:21 AM, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> > We got an old, non existing, domain configured for idmapd, like so:
> >   Domain = x.y
> >
> > Now I would like to change that to our new domain but I cannot
> > change all computers using the old domain at the same time.
> >
> > Ideally I would like to just add the new domain and then change
> > clients gradually as time permits.
> >
> > Currently idmapd does not seems to support this ?
> I not sure if that helps... but rpc.idmapd does query DNS
> looking for the _nfsv4idmapdomain text record...  Add
>      _nfsv4idmapdomain IN TXT "domainname"
>  recorded to your DNS

You mean:
 1) Add _nfsv4idmapdomain IN TXT "x.y" to DNS
 2) Rm all Domain = x.y idmapd conf
 3) Change nfsv4idmapdomain IN TXT "new.com" (do I need to restart idmapd here too?)
?

> > Could multiple domains be added ?
> Patches are always welcome! ;-) But I don't see
> how the would ever work and its probably break
> a few specs.

They didn't consider rename migration when those specs where written :)

 Jocke

> steved.
> >
> >  Jocke

* Re: idmapd Domain issue
@ 2020-09-05 16:44     ` Steve Dickson
From: Steve Dickson @ 2020-09-05 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joakim Tjernlund, linux-nfs

Sorry for the delay....

On 8/10/20 10:26 AM, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> On Mon, 2020-08-10 at 10:13 -0400, Steve Dickson wrote:
>> CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.
>>

>> On 8/8/20 6:21 AM, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
>>> We got an old, non existing, domain configured for idmapd, like so:
>>>   Domain = x.y
>>>
>>> Now I would like to change that to our new domain but I cannot
>>> change all computers using the old domain at the same time.
>>>
>>> Ideally I would like to just add the new domain and then change
>>> clients gradually as time permits.
>>>
>>> Currently idmapd does not seems to support this ?
>> I not sure if that helps... but rpc.idmapd does query DNS
>> looking for the _nfsv4idmapdomain text record...  Add
>>      _nfsv4idmapdomain IN TXT "domainname"
>>  recorded to your DNS
>
> You mean:
>  1) Add _nfsv4idmapdomain IN TXT "x.y" to DNS
>  2) Rm all Domain = x.y idmapd conf
>  3) Change nfsv4idmapdomain IN TXT "new.com" (do I need to restart idmapd here too?)
Yes, yes and yes... That should work...

steved.