* make randconfig improvement
@ 2007-07-25  6:42 Dave Young
From: Dave Young @ 2007-07-25  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kai, sam, LKML

Hi,
IMHO, the randconfig option make no sense sometimes. For me, My
computer need some must-have config options, like SATA and USB
keyboard config options. I think many other people maybe have similar
problems.

So, what about improve the randconfig?  let's add some basic options ,
like oldconfig.   We can use randconfig based user-defined options,
randing except the pre-defined ones.

What's your opinons?

* Re: make randconfig improvement
@ 2007-07-25  6:54 ` Sam Ravnborg
From: Sam Ravnborg @ 2007-07-25  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Young; +Cc: kai, LKML

On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 06:42:38AM +0000, Dave Young wrote:
> Hi,
> IMHO, the randconfig option make no sense sometimes. For me, My
> computer need some must-have config options, like SATA and USB
> keyboard config options. I think many other people maybe have similar
> problems.
>
> So, what about improve the randconfig?  let's add some basic options ,
> like oldconfig.   We can use randconfig based user-defined options,
> randing except the pre-defined ones.
>
> What's your opinons?

kconfig has support for reading a file specified by by
$KCONFIG_ALLCONFIG or if not specified for randconfig to read
a file named allrandom.config.

The syntax of the files are the same as in .config.

How far is this from what you try to achieve?

	Sam

* Re: make randconfig improvement
@ 2007-07-25  7:30   ` Dave Young
From: Dave Young @ 2007-07-25  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Ravnborg; +Cc: kai, LKML

>On 7/25/07, Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 06:42:38AM +0000, Dave Young wrote:
> > Hi,
> > IMHO, the randconfig option make no sense sometimes. For me, My
> > computer need some must-have config options, like SATA and USB
> > keyboard config options. I think many other people maybe have similar
> > problems.
> >
> > So, what about improve the randconfig?  let's add some basic options ,
> > like oldconfig.   We can use randconfig based user-defined options,
> > randing except the pre-defined ones.
> >
> > What's your opinons?
>
> kconfig has support for reading a file specified by by
> $KCONFIG_ALLCONFIG or if not specified for randconfig to read
> a file named allrandom.config.
>
> The syntax of the files are the same as in .config.
>
> How far is this from what you try to achieve?
>
>         Sam

Yes, it does achieve my goal, thanks. sorry for this noise.