* Re: Question: Driver support for SHT4X temperature and humidity sensor
       [not found] <CAPYOJtUuoWN33hLc+2u78tbp1y5svkfwtSnH-UZdbpV+cV78yw@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2021-04-20  6:27 ` Guenter Roeck
       [not found]   ` <CAPYOJtV_5OqmwU=MXq7atmFL85Jg=p0ekvOFfN9yiaKroUXjmQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: Guenter Roeck @ 2021-04-20  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Navin Sankar, linux-hwmon; +Cc: jdelvare

On 4/19/21 9:43 PM, Navin Sankar wrote:
> Dear Maintainer,
>
>     I am trying to add driver support for sensirion based temperature & humidity sensor sht4x.
>
> I am bit confused, where to add support for this driver. Either in iio subsys or hwmon subsys?

The sht[23] sensor drivers are in hwmon, so I'd normally suggest
a hwmon driver.

Having said that: What is the cause of your confusion ?

Guenter

@ 2021-04-20 10:48     ` Guenter Roeck
       [not found]       ` <CAPYOJtWXKMZXys07sQcefYOzk93_awdQDbjbZf5CXp3F2vsCEw@mail.gmail.com>
From: Guenter Roeck @ 2021-04-20 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Navin Sankar; +Cc: linux-hwmon, jdelvare

On 4/20/21 12:14 AM, Navin Sankar wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 11:57 AM Guenter Roeck <linux@roeck-us.net <mailto:linux@roeck-us.net>> wrote:
>
>     On 4/19/21 9:43 PM, Navin Sankar wrote:
>     > Dear Maintainer,
>     >
>     >     I am trying to add driver support for sensirion based temperature & humidity sensor sht4x.
>     >
>     > I am bit confused, where to add support for this driver. Either in iio subsys or hwmon subsys?
>     >

>     The sht[23] sensor drivers are in hwmon, so I'd normally suggest
>     a hwmon driver.
>
>     Having said that: What is the cause of your confusion ?
>
>     Guenter
>

> Thank you for the clarification.
>
> I thought the convention is to use iio for new temperature and humidity sensor.

I didn't know that; that decision was made without consulting hardware
monitoring maintainers. Can you point me to the relevant exchanges or
documentation ?

Thanks,
Guenter

@ 2021-04-20 13:44         ` Guenter Roeck
From: Guenter Roeck @ 2021-04-20 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Navin Sankar; +Cc: linux-hwmon, jdelvare

On 4/20/21 6:15 AM, Navin Sankar wrote:
> I thought this way, by looking at temp & humidity drivers in iio.
>  Sorry for the noise. Since I am new to kernel contribution.

Normally it is a question of use cases. If the sensor is
typically used for hardware monitoring of the system
it is built into, it belongs into hwmon. If it is typically
used for other purposes, it should reside in iio.

Guenter