* Problems with gain controls
@ 2009-08-09 10:28 James Courtier-Dutton
From: James Courtier-Dutton @ 2009-08-09 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone know how to disable pulse from making any changes to the
alsa hardware mixer controls?
I would prefer pulse to use software gain controls, and not touch the
alsamixer levels.
pulse seems to do a very bizarre thing. The single master gain control
 within pulse changes both the alsamixer PCM and Master controls.

Kind Regards

James

* Re: Problems with gain controls
@ 2009-08-09 13:26 ` Tony Vroon
From: Tony Vroon @ 2009-08-09 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 2009-08-09 at 11:28 +0100, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> pulse seems to do a very bizarre thing. The single master gain control
>  within pulse changes both the alsamixer PCM and Master controls.

That behaviour is by design, and described as a feature here:
http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/oh-nine-sixteen.html

> Kind Regards
> James

Regards,
Tony V.

* Re: Problems with gain controls
@ 2009-08-09 15:04   ` James Courtier-Dutton
From: James Courtier-Dutton @ 2009-08-09 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

2009/8/9 Tony Vroon <tony@linx.net>:
> On Sun, 2009-08-09 at 11:28 +0100, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
>> pulse seems to do a very bizarre thing. The single master gain control
>>  within pulse changes both the alsamixer PCM and Master controls.
>
> That behaviour is by design, and described as a feature here:
> http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/oh-nine-sixteen.html

Maybe so, but how do I disable it?
I want pulseaudio doing software volume control, and not touching the
alsa hardware controls.
You might ask why I want it disabled, that is because it is a broken
method. One cannot have a the gain control on the input to a device
linked to the gain control on the output of a device. If one ever has
two different inputs, E.g. from the CD, it just messes things up.
With the current method, all I get is noise from the speakers. If I
kill pulseaudio, I get nice sound again.
I don't understand why pulseaudio cannot see how much of a broken idea
the current method is.

@ 2009-08-09 15:12     ` James Courtier-Dutton
From: James Courtier-Dutton @ 2009-08-09 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

2009/8/9 James Courtier-Dutton <james.dutton@gmail.com>:
> 2009/8/9 Tony Vroon <tony@linx.net>:
>> On Sun, 2009-08-09 at 11:28 +0100, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
>>> pulse seems to do a very bizarre thing. The single master gain control
>>>  within pulse changes both the alsamixer PCM and Master controls.
>>
>> That behaviour is by design, and described as a feature here:
>> http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/oh-nine-sixteen.html
>>

> Maybe so, but how do I disable it?
> I want pulseaudio doing software volume control, and not touching the
> alsa hardware controls.
> You might ask why I want it disabled, that is because it is a broken
> method. One cannot have a the gain control on the input to a device
> linked to the gain control on the output of a device. If one ever has
> two different inputs, E.g. from the CD, it just messes things up.
> With the current method, all I get is noise from the speakers. If I
> kill pulseaudio, I get nice sound again.
> I don't understand why pulseaudio cannot see how much of a broken idea
> the current method is.

I found out how to disable it.
I edited
analog-output.conf.common and changed "merged" to "zero" for the PCM control.