* Proposal: Add ManagerNetworkProtocol.Oem.OpenBMC.mDNS
@ 2020-04-06 14:57 Joseph Reynolds
From: Joseph Reynolds @ 2020-04-06 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

Proposal: Add ManagerNetworkProtocol.Oem.OpenBMC.mDNS.

This is a proposal to add a new Oem.OpenBMC.mDNS property to BMCWeb's
implementation of the Redfish ManagerNetworkProtocol.
This property would be used to enable and disable OpenBMC's Avahi/mDNS
discovery service and be similar to Redfish's SSDProtocol

Redfish's direction is to use SSDP as the standard discovery mechanism.
See discussion here:
https://redfishforum.com/thread/267/add-avahi-managernetworkprotocol

Does anyone agree that giving the BMC admin the ability to enable and
disable the Avahi/mDNS discovery service is desired?  Please reply to
this email.
If so, the next step is to design the mDNSProtocol to implement in BMCWeb.

- Joseph

* Re: Proposal: Add ManagerNetworkProtocol.Oem.OpenBMC.mDNS
@ 2020-04-06 15:23 ` Gunnar Mills
From: Gunnar Mills @ 2020-04-06 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Reynolds, openbmc

On 4/6/2020 9:57 AM, Joseph Reynolds wrote:
> Proposal: Add ManagerNetworkProtocol.Oem.OpenBMC.mDNS.
>
> This is a proposal to add a new Oem.OpenBMC.mDNS property to BMCWeb's
> implementation of the Redfish ManagerNetworkProtocol.
> This property would be used to enable and disable OpenBMC's Avahi/mDNS
> discovery service and be similar to Redfish's SSDProtocol

Why OEM? Why not ask Redfish to add mDNS to ManagerNetworkProtocol so it
can be enabled/disabled via standard Redfish?

@ 2020-04-06 15:42   ` Joseph Reynolds
From: Joseph Reynolds @ 2020-04-06 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gunnar Mills, openbmc, ratagupt

On 4/6/20 10:23 AM, Gunnar Mills wrote:  +cc:Ratan

> On 4/6/2020 9:57 AM, Joseph Reynolds wrote:
>> Proposal: Add ManagerNetworkProtocol.Oem.OpenBMC.mDNS.
>>
>> This is a proposal to add a new Oem.OpenBMC.mDNS property to BMCWeb's
>> implementation of the Redfish ManagerNetworkProtocol.
>> This property would be used to enable and disable OpenBMC's
>> Avahi/mDNS discovery service and be similar to Redfish's SSDProtocol
>>
> Why OEM? Why not ask Redfish to add mDNS to ManagerNetworkProtocol so
> it can be enabled/disabled via standard Redfish?

Thanks for the reply.  I asked the Redfish forum in thread 267 linked
below.  The reply was to use SSDP instead of Avahi mDNS. IMHO, we either
get them to accept mDNS as an alternative to SSDP, or we are free to
implement the Oem property.  There hasn't been much discussion, so I am
plowing ahead with what I see as the most likely course.  Feel free to
contribute to the forum thread.

- Joseph

@ 2020-04-06 16:16     ` Gunnar Mills
From: Gunnar Mills @ 2020-04-06 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Reynolds, openbmc, ratagupt

On 4/6/2020 10:42 AM, Joseph Reynolds wrote:
> On 4/6/20 10:23 AM, Gunnar Mills wrote:  +cc:Ratan
>>
>> On 4/6/2020 9:57 AM, Joseph Reynolds wrote:
>>> Proposal: Add ManagerNetworkProtocol.Oem.OpenBMC.mDNS.
>>>
>>> This is a proposal to add a new Oem.OpenBMC.mDNS property to
>>> BMCWeb's implementation of the Redfish ManagerNetworkProtocol.
>>> This property would be used to enable and disable OpenBMC's
>>> Avahi/mDNS discovery service and be similar to Redfish's SSDProtocol
>>>
>> Why OEM? Why not ask Redfish to add mDNS to ManagerNetworkProtocol so
>> it can be enabled/disabled via standard Redfish?
>
> Thanks for the reply.  I asked the Redfish forum in thread 267 linked
> below.  The reply was to use SSDP instead of Avahi mDNS. IMHO, we
> either get them to accept mDNS as an alternative to SSDP, or we are
> free to implement the Oem property.  There hasn't been much
> discussion, so I am plowing ahead with what I see as the most likely
> course.  Feel free to contribute to the forum thread.

Know why we choose Avahi/mDNS over SSDP? Jeff asked that question in the
thread. If we have valid reasons of why Avahi/mDNS over SSDP, let's
share that with Redfish.

* Re: Proposal: Add ManagerNetworkProtocol.Oem.OpenBMC.mDNS
@ 2020-04-08 13:27   ` Ratan Gupta
From: Ratan Gupta @ 2020-04-08 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

Hi Joseph,

I am in favor for adding this as oem for short term and also propose it
in DMTF to get it standardized.

There should be a way to disable the multicast-feature as for some
clients multicast is a security concern.

Regards

Ratan

@ 2020-04-08 20:29     ` Joseph Reynolds
From: Joseph Reynolds @ 2020-04-08 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ratan Gupta, openbmc

On 4/8/20 8:27 AM, Ratan Gupta wrote:
> Hi Joseph,
>
> I am in favor for adding this as oem for short term and also propose
> it in DMTF to get it standardized.
>
> There should be a way to disable the multicast-feature as for some
> clients multicast is a security concern.

Ratan, thanks for your input.  I plan to withdraw this proposal if
Redfish shows interest in adding mDNS to the spec.  I don't need a short
term solution.