* Opinions on moving Linux InfiniBand/RDMA mailing list to vger?
@ 2009-08-20 22:00 Roland Dreier
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Roland Dreier @ 2009-08-20 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, general

Lately, I've had a few emails that I thought would have been of interest
to both lkml and also to general@lists.openfabrics.org.  I've held back
on cross-posting them because I know that general@ is subscribers-only,
and the bounce messages are quite annoying to replies coming from lkml.

The general@ list is subscribers-only because the openfabrics.org
sysadmin team is already overworked without trying to keep an open list
spam free.  (I say that with no intention to criticize the
openfabrics.org admins -- they do a terrific job of keeping things
running with the limited resources available; it's more a testament to
how impressive the vger mailing list admins are)

I've also noticed one or two messages about the possibility of moving
another moderated list to vger.  Certainly I prefer open lists that
don't require subscriptions to post.

So with that background, what would people think about creating an open
vger list (say, linux-rdma@vger.kernel.org) to carry the discussion
currently on general@lists.openfabrics.org?  (The transition plan would
probably be to keep the general@ list for a month or two, with frequent
announcements of the new list, until archives etc. have caught up with
the switch)

Thanks,
  Roland

* Re: [ofa-general] Opinions on moving Linux InfiniBand/RDMA mailing list to vger?
@ 2009-08-20 22:02 ` Jeff Becker
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jeff Becker @ 2009-08-20 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland Dreier; +Cc: linux-kernel, general

Roland Dreier wrote:
> Lately, I've had a few emails that I thought would have been of interest
> to both lkml and also to general@lists.openfabrics.org.  I've held back
> on cross-posting them because I know that general@ is subscribers-only,
> and the bounce messages are quite annoying to replies coming from lkml.
>
> The general@ list is subscribers-only because the openfabrics.org
> sysadmin team is already overworked without trying to keep an open list
> spam free.  (I say that with no intention to criticize the
> openfabrics.org admins -- they do a terrific job of keeping things
> running with the limited resources available; it's more a testament to
> how impressive the vger mailing list admins are)
>
> I've also noticed one or two messages about the possibility of moving
> another moderated list to vger.  Certainly I prefer open lists that
> don't require subscriptions to post.
>
> So with that background, what would people think about creating an open
> vger list (say, linux-rdma@vger.kernel.org) to carry the discussion
> currently on general@lists.openfabrics.org?  (The transition plan would
> probably be to keep the general@ list for a month or two, with frequent
> announcements of the new list, until archives etc. have caught up with
> the switch)

+1

-jeff

@ 2009-08-20 22:07   ` Jeff Squyres
From: Jeff Squyres @ 2009-08-20 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Becker; +Cc: Roland Dreier (rdreier), linux-kernel, general

+1

On Aug 20, 2009, at 6:02 PM, Jeff Becker wrote:

> Roland Dreier wrote:
> > Lately, I've had a few emails that I thought would have been of
> interest
> > to both lkml and also to general@lists.openfabrics.org.  I've held
> back
> > on cross-posting them because I know that general@ is subscribers-
> only,
> > and the bounce messages are quite annoying to replies coming from
> lkml.
> >
> > The general@ list is subscribers-only because the openfabrics.org
> > sysadmin team is already overworked without trying to keep an open
> list
> > spam free.  (I say that with no intention to criticize the
> > openfabrics.org admins -- they do a terrific job of keeping things
> > running with the limited resources available; it's more a
> testament to
> > how impressive the vger mailing list admins are)
> >
> > I've also noticed one or two messages about the possibility of
> moving
> > another moderated list to vger.  Certainly I prefer open lists that
> > don't require subscriptions to post.
> >
> > So with that background, what would people think about creating an
> open
> > vger list (say, linux-rdma@vger.kernel.org) to carry the discussion
> > currently on general@lists.openfabrics.org?  (The transition plan
> would
> > probably be to keep the general@ list for a month or two, with
> frequent
> > announcements of the new list, until archives etc. have caught up
> with
> > the switch)
> >

> +1
>
> -jeff
>
> > Thanks,
> >   Roland

Jeff Squyres
jsquyres@cisco.com

@ 2009-08-20 22:41 ` Woodruff, Robert J
From: Woodruff, Robert J @ 2009-08-20 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland Dreier, linux-kernel, general

Roland wrote,

>Lately, I've had a few emails that I thought would have been of interest
>to both lkml and also to general@lists.openfabrics.org.  I've held back
>on cross-posting them because I know that general@ is subscribers-only,
>and the bounce messages are quite annoying to replies coming from lkml.

>The general@ list is subscribers-only because the openfabrics.org
>sysadmin team is already overworked without trying to keep an open list
>spam free.  (I say that with no intention to criticize the
>openfabrics.org admins -- they do a terrific job of keeping things
>running with the limited resources available; it's more a testament to
>how impressive the vger mailing list admins are)

>I've also noticed one or two messages about the possibility of moving
>another moderated list to vger.  Certainly I prefer open lists that
>don't require subscriptions to post.

>So with that background, what would people think about creating an open
>vger list (say, linux-rdma@vger.kernel.org) to carry the discussion
>currently on general@lists.openfabrics.org?  (The transition plan would
>probably be to keep the general@ list for a month or two, with frequent
>announcements of the new list, until archives etc. have caught up with
>the switch)

The one question I would have would be do the kernel.org people want to
see all of the traffic that we currently have on the open fabrics
general list for all of the user-space components?

I do not think it would be good if we had to have one list on vger for
kernel work and another one for all the user-space work.  Other than
that, I do not really care where the general develop list is hosted.

my 2 cents,
woody

* Re: Opinions on moving Linux InfiniBand/RDMA mailing list to vger?
@ 2009-08-20 23:08 ` David Miller
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: David Miller @ 2009-08-20 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rdreier; +Cc: linux-kernel, general

From: Roland Dreier <rdreier@cisco.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 15:00:14 -0700

> linux-rdma@vger.kernel.org

It's there, ready and waiting, should you choose to use it :-)

* Re: [ofa-general] Opinions on moving Linux InfiniBand/RDMA mailing list to vger?
@ 2009-08-21  9:10   ` Roland Dreier
From: Roland Dreier @ 2009-08-21  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Woodruff, Robert J; +Cc: linux-kernel, general

 > The one question I would have would be do the kernel.org people want to
 > see all of the traffic that we currently have on the open fabrics
 > general list for all of the user-space components?

I don't believe there's any problem with that.  vger already hosts quite
a few lists that are userspace only (eg git) or span user and kernel (eg
alsa and kvm).  And in any case the total traffic (# of subscribers, #
of messages) that the current general@ list generates is pretty minimal
compared to what vger already handles, so I think there's no problem
with having a linux-rdma@vger.kernel.org carry everything that
general@lists.openfabrics.org does today.

 - R.

* Re: Opinions on moving Linux InfiniBand/RDMA mailing list to vger?
@ 2009-08-21 22:02   ` Roland Dreier
From: Roland Dreier @ 2009-08-21 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Miller; +Cc: linux-kernel, general

 > > linux-rdma@vger.kernel.org

 > It's there, ready and waiting, should you choose to use it :-)

Thanks!

 - R.

* Re: [ofa-general] Opinions on moving Linux InfiniBand/RDMA mailing list to vger?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-08-23  8:21 ` Tziporet Koren
From: Tziporet Koren @ 2009-08-23  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland Dreier; +Cc: linux-kernel, general

Roland Dreier wrote:
> Lately, I've had a few emails that I thought would have been of interest
> to both lkml and also to general@lists.openfabrics.org.  I've held back
> on cross-posting them because I know that general@ is subscribers-only,
> and the bounce messages are quite annoying to replies coming from lkml.
>
> The general@ list is subscribers-only because the openfabrics.org
> sysadmin team is already overworked without trying to keep an open list
> spam free.  (I say that with no intention to criticize the
> openfabrics.org admins -- they do a terrific job of keeping things
> running with the limited resources available; it's more a testament to
> how impressive the vger mailing list admins are)
>
> I've also noticed one or two messages about the possibility of moving
> another moderated list to vger.  Certainly I prefer open lists that
> don't require subscriptions to post.
>
> So with that background, what would people think about creating an open
> vger list (say, linux-rdma@vger.kernel.org) to carry the discussion
> currently on general@lists.openfabrics.org?  (The transition plan would
> probably be to keep the general@ list for a month or two, with frequent
> announcements of the new list, until archives etc. have caught up with
> the switch)

Very good initiative
Tziporet

* Re: Opinions on moving Linux InfiniBand/RDMA mailing list to vger?
@ 2009-08-28 17:30   ` Roland Dreier
From: Roland Dreier @ 2009-08-28 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, general

It seems we only had positive responses to moving from general@ to a new
linux-rdma@vger.kernel.org list, so I'll work on a transition plan.

For now, please continue to use general@lists.openfabrics.org.  However,
you may want to subscribe to the vger list to be ready for the
transition; for information on that, see http://vger.kernel.org.

 - Roland

* Re: Opinions on moving Linux InfiniBand/RDMA mailing list to vger?
@ 2009-09-01 21:07   ` Roland Dreier
From: Roland Dreier @ 2009-09-01 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Miller; +Cc: linux-kernel, general

 > n> linux-rdma@vger.kernel.org

 > It's there, ready and waiting, should you choose to use it :-)

Thanks again... how do we get archive links added -- is it manually?

Right now we have http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-rdma/

http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-rdma@vger.kernel.org/ should be up
you too :)

Thanks,
  Roland

* Re: Opinions on moving Linux InfiniBand/RDMA mailing list to vger?
@ 2009-09-01 22:37     ` David Miller
From: David Miller @ 2009-09-01 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rdreier; +Cc: linux-kernel, general

From: Roland Dreier <rdreier@cisco.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 14:07:30 -0700

>  > n> linux-rdma@vger.kernel.org
>
>  > It's there, ready and waiting, should you choose to use it :-)
>
> Thanks again... how do we get archive links added -- is it manually?

Yes.

> Right now we have http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-rdma/
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-rdma@vger.kernel.org/ should be up
> you too :)