* Scheduler and SMP
@ 2009-06-13 21:44 Bruno Bauer
From: Bruno Bauer @ 2009-06-13 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hello all,

I'm new in kernel development and i be making tests in scheduler for a
study course.
I created a new syscall that set a task for no migrate from cpu (I
added a new flag no_migrate on task_struct).
In my tests, a tar/bzip task with no_migrate flag seted run at 5% more fast.

How do this be explained? Overhead of migration?

My changes are in can_migrate_task and balance_tasks (sched.c) and
copy_process (fork.c).

Thanks,

PS: Sorry, my English is poor.

--
Bruno Germano Bauer

* Re: Scheduler and SMP
@ 2009-06-16  9:24 ` Jiri Kosina
From: Jiri Kosina @ 2009-06-16  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruno Bauer; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009, Bruno Bauer wrote:

> I'm new in kernel development and i be making tests in scheduler for a
> study course.

I guess kernelnewbies malinglist would be more appropriate for you than
lkml.

> I created a new syscall that set a task for no migrate from cpu (I added
> a new flag no_migrate on task_struct).

Why didn't you use existing infrastructure (sched_setaffinity()) for that?

> In my tests, a tar/bzip task with no_migrate flag seted run at 5% more
> fast.
> How do this be explained? Overhead of migration?

Probably. Depends on the exact changes you have made, which you haven't
shared with us.

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs