* sunit & swidth on RAID-1?
@ 2009-02-11 15:56 mike dentifrice
From: mike dentifrice @ 2009-02-11 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xfs

Hello,

I would like to know if it makes any sense to specify sunit & swidth
parameters as mount options to XFS filesystems sitting on a Linux
software RAID-1 array, as advertised here [1] or there [2].

I'm asking, because it seems that chunk_size does not matter in a RAID-1
context, nor do stripe units; or do they?

Any tip would be appreciated,

[1] http://www.socalsysadmin.com/2008/10/15/optimizing-xfs-on-raid-arrays/
[2] http://feedblog.org/2008/06/18/howto-configure-raid-strides-in-xfs/

--
mike dentifrice <fluor@poivron.org>

* Re: sunit & swidth on RAID-1?
@ 2009-02-11 16:42 ` Justin Piszcz
       [not found]   ` <20090211165316.GA4430@dentifrice>
From: Justin Piszcz @ 2009-02-11 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mike dentifrice; +Cc: xfs

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009, mike dentifrice wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to know if it makes any sense to specify sunit & swidth
> parameters as mount options to XFS filesystems sitting on a Linux
> software RAID-1 array, as advertised here [1] or there [2].
>
> I'm asking, because it seems that chunk_size does not matter in a RAID-1
> context, nor do stripe units; or do they?
>
> Any tip would be appreciated,
>
> [1] http://www.socalsysadmin.com/2008/10/15/optimizing-xfs-on-raid-arrays/
> [2] http://feedblog.org/2008/06/18/howto-configure-raid-strides-in-xfs/
>
> --
> mike dentifrice <fluor@poivron.org>

mkfs.xfs will auto-optimize for software-raid arrays for the most part,
with HW raid on a 3ware controller, tweaking mkfs.xfs does not help very
much.  with SW raid, at least for raid1 - I use the defaults.

Justin.

* Re: sunit & swidth on RAID-1?
@ 2009-02-11 16:46 ` Eric Sandeen
From: Eric Sandeen @ 2009-02-11 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mike dentifrice; +Cc: xfs

mike dentifrice wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to know if it makes any sense to specify sunit & swidth
> parameters as mount options to XFS filesystems sitting on a Linux
> software RAID-1 array, as advertised here [1] or there [2].
>
> I'm asking, because it seems that chunk_size does not matter in a RAID-1
> context, nor do stripe units; or do they?

I don't think it does matter.  And for what it's worth, mkfs.xfs queries
an MD raid, but ignores raid1/10/0:

                /*
                 * Ignore levels we don't want aligned (e.g. linear)
                 * and deduct disk(s) from stripe width on RAID4/5/6
                 */
                switch (md.level) {
                case 6:
                        md.raid_disks--;
                        /* fallthrough */
                case 5:
                case 4:
                        md.raid_disks--;
                        /* fallthrough */
                case 1:
                case 0:
                case 10:
                        break;
                default:
                        return 0;

In general, mkfs.xfs on md should just "do the right thing"

-Eric

@ 2009-02-11 17:10     ` Justin Piszcz
From: Justin Piszcz @ 2009-02-11 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mike dentifrice; +Cc: xfs

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009, mike dentifrice wrote:

> Justin Piszcz a dit:
>> mkfs.xfs will auto-optimize for software-raid arrays for the most
>> part,  with HW raid on a 3ware controller, tweaking mkfs.xfs does not
>> help very  much.  with SW raid, at least for raid1 - I use the
>> defaults.
>
> Thanks for your reply. However, I wonder about the defaults:
>
> 	xfs_info /dev/md1 | grep -E '(sunit|swidth)'
>
> Outputs:
>
>        sunit=0      swidth=0 blks, unwritten=1
>        sectsz=512   sunit=0 blks
>
> What's the consequence of 0 values in this case?
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> mike dentifrice <fluor@poivron.org>

# xfs_info /dev/md2 | grep -E '(sunit|swidth)'
          =                       sunit=0      swidth=0 blks
          =                       sectsz=512   sunit=0 blks, lazy-count=0

Mine is similar, I guess you would need to benchmark to find out if you
were worried about it.  I ran multiple copies from a RAID1 (dual raptors)
and was able to get the performance of both of the drives combine, so I am
not really worried about this setting.

Justin.

* Re: sunit & swidth on RAID-1?
       [not found]   ` <20090211165316.GA4430@dentifrice>
@ 2009-02-11 21:12     ` Michael Monnerie
From: Michael Monnerie @ 2009-02-11 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xfs

On Mittwoch 11 Februar 2009 mike dentifrice wrote:
>         sunit=0      swidth=0 blks, unwritten=1
>         sectsz=512   sunit=0 blks
>
> What's the consequence of 0 values in this case?

XFS then knows that 512 byte (aka sector) alignment is sufficient, as
RAID-1 will only write 512b to each disk and does not need full stripe
unit writes like RAID-4/5/6 need. Therefore performance is better with
the values you have.

mfg zmi
// Tel: 0660 / 415 65 31                      .network.your.ideas.
// Keyserver: wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net                  Key-ID: 1C1209B4