* smatch 1.52 released
@ 2009-04-18 15:03 Dan Carpenter
From: Dan Carpenter @ 2009-04-18 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: smatch-discuss, linux-kernel

Smatch is a static analysis tool.

It's looks for different bugs than sparse.  It's uses sparse as a C
parser.  It probably can find more complicated bugs than Coccinelle but it
doesn't fix them.

The repo is:  http://repo.or.cz/w/smatch.git/

I am going to be cycling in southern Africa for the next four months.  I
will take an eee but will only have irregular internet access.

There have been many changes since 1.51:
  * There are no known crashing bugs.
  * It uses less memory.
  * It is faster.
  * Many of the checks have been improved.
  * It uses a more sophisticated system to represent possible variable
    values internally.
  * There is a new dereferencing ERR_PTR() check.

One thing that's fairly cool is that Smatch v1.52 understands the
following code.

    foo = down_trylock(&lock);
    if (foo < 0)            <- implies the lock was not aquired.
            return;
                            <- lock is held here.

Anyway, do email me if you have any questions or issues.  I will probably
have internet access some days later on next week.

regards,
dan carpenter

http://bikesafari.net

only message in thread, other threads:[~2009-04-18 15:04 UTC | newest]